mudgie,

Sorry to read that you have had some bad news concerning your health. I hope all goes well with your surgery, and thank you for your words of advice. My best wishes to you.

• 4 months later...

This could be a "how's Your day" but decided to use this thread instead, though strictly speaking this was not totally unexpected as I had warnings 5 years ago....just spent 5 years in denial with my head in the sand.

My MOT last week confirmed that I now have diabetes.........a bit ironic for one who makes cakes etc etc (and obviously has enjoyed one or two, though not a slice of the cheesecake passed my lips the other week ) But yes I have been aware it was on the cards and did watch my diet, but obviously not enough.

So now I have to really get my finger out, I understand about diet (my background in nutrition helps there) but it is still a nightmare trying to sort out the good carbs and bad carbs...several books on order, and many websites visited and saved, and of course I have to watch my fats too and then there's the exercise (Just dusted off the treadmill, burnt off 248 calories in 30 minutes "walking" 1.48 miles up and down hills on the weight loss programme). I'm not greatly overweight BMI 25 and a bit but there's room for improvement.

So is there anyone else out there who is diabetic and is controlling it by diet only? I would love some tips and advice as I don't want to go past the first stage preferably.

Darkazana,

Sorry to read that you are now Diabetic. My son and Chris are both Diabetic. Our son has to inject insulin twice a day. Chris is controlling his with Diet.

When Chris was diagnosed, he was given the opportunity to go on a six weeks course on how to manage Diabetes by Diet. I went with him and we found it very informative and helpful. We also go to a Healthy Life style Clinic for Mini Checkups every month.

Ask your Practice Nurse for details on the 'Structured Education Programme For Diabetes'. We were told they are held all over the country. Well worth the effort. It takes all of the guess work away. I Hope this is helpful to you.

• Upvote 2

Some useful numbers Darkazana.

Accu-Chek for essential advice. 0800701000 or log on.www.accu-check.co.uk

Diabetes UK. Central Office. 020 74241000

I will just add regarding Special Food for Diabetics. When the question came up at the meeting. The nurse did tell us not to bother paying for Diabetic Chocolate or Foods as you are right Bilbraborn, it is so expensive and a waste of money. We were told: there is no special diet for Diabetics, it's a matter of controlling certain foods. You will be surprised at some of the baddies. Well worth getting professional advice.

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone. I'm sorry to hear about those of you who have to also deal with this condition.

I knew about diabetic foods being a bit of a rip off and as I am a trained cook prefer to make my own foods anyway, I did used to cook for diabetics at school and at the care home so that holds no fear for me, and I have done so much reading about adapting recipes.

I read about the Education programme on the NHS site, though at the moment my doctor seems to think I will be able to manage :ohmy: However I will be back at the surgery just after Christmas for a check up before we go away to the Cotswolds for a couple of months (working at Moreton in the Marsh) and will see how I have managed.

I have spent tonight surrounded by my old college nutrition books (Manual of nutrition is great for all dietary aspects) and food packaging noting down all the info I need to build up a diet plan. Not a bad start today. I've kept below 1500 calories, but am a little over the recommended carb intake, so some tweaking is in order...well it was chilli, rice salad and now a small glass of wine night!

• Upvote 2

My wife has been a Type 1 diabetic since she was 13 .

She injects 4 times a day and monitors her blood sugar closely .

We never buy any special foods ( apart from the odd packet of Thorntons sugar free toffee ! ) but by now she knows what to avoid .( Another treat is Morrisons diabetic ice cream )

She is careful with starchy foods such as potato and bread as that turns into sugars once digested . Obviously we check for high sugar content and it's surprising how much sugar is in certain foods .

She would never have a can of tomato soup as thats usually laden with sugar and even bland cereals such as Bran Flakes can have a high sugar content so we usually look for the ones with least .

Luckily we enjoy salads and she loves all green veg .

Obviously we don't go mad on puddings !

I wonder why diabetes is so common these days, years back I knew nobody with it and no it seems so rife.

I found it difficult to adjust our diet to a Diabetes acceptable one. Both of us are inclined to put weight on if we don't watch it. This last few months we have had to give up our Ballroom Dancing and cycleing: so have sat around eating too much of every thing naughty. The consequence is that we have both put about a stone on each.

In the past I have been very good at making low Cal meals to lose weight: but to do this diet combined with making sure it is Diabetic friendly is very difficult. As David says Rice; Potatoes, Bread and Pasta are turned into sugar.

I take Warfarin: so I have to watch my Vitamin K. So to reduce Calories for weight loss: reduce Carbs For Diabetes, control Vitamin K to keep the INR stable is a nightmare. BUT. Always look on the bright side . At least we have choices. Some people don't!!

• Upvote 4