I had never been a hospital in-patient in my 65 years, until Thursday last. We set off to visit a friend in Llandrindod Wells. After lunch I was seized with awful chest pains, that also extended down the inside of both arms. My wife called an ambulance, which arrived with a crew of paramedics in a creditable 4 minutes (i.e. before she had finished the phone call). A quick ECG confirmed what the symptoms seemed to say - I was having a heart attack. After initial measures to thin the blood, and reduce the pain, the paramedics held a brief telephone discussion where to send me - Llandrindod Wells is a long way from NHS centres of coronary care excellence! Wales Air Ambulance landed on the local Rugby field, and whisked me off in 25 minutes to Morriston Hospital, Swansea. On arrival, a team was waiting for me, and I was given a "primary angioplasty" - opening up a blocked artery and inserting a stent. Three hours after the initial 999 call, I had been transferred half way across Wales, received the necessary intervention, and was recovering in the coronary care unit. I remain convinced that the NHS shines most brightly in tackling emergencies - bulldozing all the brick walls of bureaucracy, to do what they know instinctively is their top priority. I was discharged this lunch time (just under 72 hours after the attack) and we are now back home in Shropshire, taking things easily for a while.

• Upvote 5

I'm so glad you are OK Steven. Thank Goodness for the NHS. I Know It has its problems, But thankfully, always there doing a grand job when you need them. My husband had a Heart Attack five years ago, and had two Stents put in. He is back to normal now. A few life style changes to diet and weight and he is Healthier than he has been for years. Do everything they tell you and you will soon be back on form. Best wishes from us both for a speedy recovery.

Wow, the things folks do for a ride in a helicopter! Joking aside, glad you are on the mend and you got excellent service and you were sorted so quickly. Very impressive.

glad every thing went well for you and your on the mend take care and rest well stephen

Glad you've had good treatment Stephen and are now back home resting. Heart problems seem to be getting all too common amongst us Nottstalgians ...... a warning to us all to calm down and take things easy.

Wow Stephen, glad you are now recovering. Thought our Royal Flying Docs were good, but obviously the Welsh flight paramedics are an equal, great outcome for you, stay well and keep active if you can.

After a visit to my Oncologist last week,there was a tumor that had grown swiftly in the last six months,surgery in a couple of weeks,again.

The reason for my posting is,I implore any member that has any kind of persistent ache or pain,no matter how big or small,please have it checked out,better safe than sorry.

We male members in our mid 60's,seem to be at our most vulnerable at this age.Don't use 'getting older',to excuse any aches or pains,go for a CT scan,or an MRI.

• Upvote 3

Oh Mudgie, that's not good news for you mate. I know you've been struggling with pain for a few months so at least you know what the cause is. I'll try and catch up with you tomorrow.

Didn't happen to get Prince William as the chopper pilot,he's in to that isn't he.Take my advice mate the key to good health is sex,drugs and rock and roll and of course a bottle of red,don't relax to much you get fat that way a little gentle excercise check with you local Doctor

As Catfan says, wise words Mudgie. It is so easy to ignore twinges and odd aches and pains. Best wishes for a swift recovery.