Small Bakehouse Mapperley Carlton 60's-70's

My wife and I were talking the other lunchtime about the real Hovis bread from years ago, not sliced but uncut and fresh and crusty and such a wonderful taste you could eat it on its own, but slathered with Danish Lurpak was even better.

We had a chap come round in a little white van and deliver it every second day to our old house in Carlton, we're both pretty sure his name was Mr Baker (yes no pun intended) and think his bakery was maybe top of Robinson road Mapperley, but may be wrong there.

Anyone else have memories of him.

You just dont seem to get bread like that anymore, especially here in oz.

Don't remember that one, but have many fond memories of Windale's Bakery at the corner of Roseleigh Avenue.

Being sent by my mum to buy a freshly baked Hovis, butter, and a quarter of freshly carved ham on the bone for our tea.

Or nipping round the back to "recycle" yesterday's unsold cakes and doughnuts.

:)

don't remember that one banjo 48 might have known yer' old house in carlto though.

I remember Marshalls bakery opposite Tarry's paper shop on station road, often called in for a nelson square but could never understand why they was oblong. they baked in the back behind the shop. and did deliver.

Rob L i do remember windales bakery near fearns builders merchants. I believe it was an old house made into a bakery, in fact I went to school with the chap that owned it (chandos st school) I can't at this moment think of his name.

Maybe I should have been clearer, it wasn't retail shop but just like a shed thing where he did his baking, he used to deliver to us in the nursery estate just off Westdale lane, his name was definitely mr baker cause I used to joke about it. He had a regular round as he delivered to my mums too.

Got a feeling it was just off mapperly tops down Robinson road.

I knew Barry Judge from Judges as my old mum used to clean at the shop and post office for a few years, she used to call him mr Barry . He was very good to mum in her last few years.

I remember Windales shop too on the corner of Roseleigh Ave , would often go in there with my mum. Now I'm trying to remember the name of the newsagents on the corner of Fernleigh ?

I ought to remember as I used to have a regular round on a Sunday morning collecting newspaper money for them .

Maybe I should have been clearer, it wasn't retail shop but just like a shed thing where he did his baking, he used to deliver to us in the nursery estate just off Westdale lane, his name was definitely mr baker cause I used to joke about it. He had a regular round as he delivered to my mums too.

Got a feeling it was just off mapperly tops down Robinson road.

I knew Barry Judge from Judges as my old mum used to clean at the shop and post office for a few years, she used to call him mr Barry . He was very good to mum in her last few years.

There is a house at the top of Robinson Road (on the left as you go down) with Hovis spelt out in letters on the side. Lots of outbuilds at the back... I think its a nursery now. I wonder if this was your bakery? It looks like it may have been.

• Upvote 1

That Google view was most interesting, Cliff Ton.............................

Head along the street past the building in question towards Woodborough Road.

On your right prior to the intersection and to the rear of the houses/shops fronting Woodborough Road is a car park.

In the far corner among the rubbish and up against the greenery is sitting a blonde haired woman, dressed in a blue top and white slacks with head bowed.

She would be at the rear of the Chemist's shop.

Nice day for a bit of sunbathing..................

Thanks gentleman, you have confirmed my memory ! Never thought of looking for it on street view ! The Hovis sign is the clincher, where the driveway is now there used to be a lean to wooden structure , amazing man when you think he did all his own baking then did the sales round too, must have baked in the early hours as his bread when he delivered was just so good and oven fresh.

Do remember the Windale shop as we'll,.

Another one but a bit further towards the city on wood borough road was Russell's bakery and cake shop, I went to school with Geoff Russell the son, lovely bloke, he lived up near Mapperly golf course in a big detached house, very nice people.

And Stu, will be giving the "Bread and Bitter" a whirl in about 4 weeks time, can't wait.

#9David,Was it Watson's? For some reason, that name is stuck in my mind.

Rob L , you beat me to it !

I was just re-laying some slabs today and whilst mixing some mortar the name Watsons just suddenly came into my head .

Came on here to tell you and you had beat me by a mere 4 days !!

Definitely Watsons !

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Hi there, yes Derek Baker was my late father and we lived at 3 Robinson Road from about 1977 when the house and the business was passed down from my grandfather, my dad was the forth generation to own it. The house was originally a farm and stables and was converted in the early 1900s into a bakery. We used to deliver to shops and houses in 3 old Bedford beagle vans later upgraded to Fords. The business died a death with the supermarkets in the the late 80s and my father sold it to a Dutchman, when he retired. The business was eventually converted into a nursery. I am still in the bakery trade and work for Warburtons at Eastwood. My father died this year and Barry Judge came who was a close friend of the family, Russell's were also good friends at the top of Mapperley Rise. By the way the delivery drivers were called Eric, with John Lennon glasses, Ron and my father. I have some fantastic photos from my time as a child there.

Rich T.

• Upvote 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks gentleman, you have confirmed my memory ! Never thought of looking for it on street view ! The Hovis sign is the clincher, where the driveway is now there used to be a lean to wooden structure , amazing man when you think he did all his own baking then did the sales round too, must have baked in the early hours as his bread when he delivered was just so good and oven fresh.

Do remember the Windale shop as we'll,.

Another one but a bit further towards the city on wood borough road was Russell's bakery and cake shop, I went to school with Geoff Russell the son, lovely bloke, he lived up near Mapperly golf course in a big detached house, very nice people.

And Stu, will be giving the "Bread and Bitter" a whirl in about 4 weeks time, can't wait.

Russels had a shop in Netherfield as well my aunt worked there for years, Mr Russell used to drink in the Brooklyn club on main road Gedling near the end of westdale lane
  • 5 weeks later...

Just been reading through this topic and have a couple of question - but not about the bakery. Don't want to start a new topic as it's only incidental but on the corner of Robinson Road and Woodborough Road I seem to remember a butcher's shop. It had shiny green tiles all round the interior walls I think. Can't remember the name of the shop but a youngish man who worked there used to deliver meat to our house in the late 40s early 50s. We used to refer to him as Frank the Butcher. When did that shop cease trading, I wonder. Also there was a newsagent almost opposite Woodthorpe Drive where my Mum used to buy my Dad's ciggies. It was called Twigdons. I see from Street View that it's no longer there. Not that either of these shops is really important to me - I was just wondering if anyone else remembered them...

MargieH

Can't help when the shops you mentioned closed, but know both very well, I used to deliver papers on an early morning round for Twigdons,

i did a night round for the newsagents at the top of Westdale lane too, and I remember the green tiles in the butchers well !

Got a feeling the old butchers became a ceramic tile shop ?

• Upvote 2

Banjo, Did your paper round include houses on Woodthorpe Drive? Wondering whether you delivered ours!! Pleased I wasn't imagining the green tiles....