I couldn't live without my computor, but how much do they distract us from our daily chores?

Are we living from hand to mouse.

• Upvote 6

I'd be lost without it now. If something can be done online, I do it.

All finance stuff; pay bills; forums; buy things; try things; find out about things; arrange things; contact people.

If I didn't have access to the interweb now, it would be like living in a cave.

• Upvote 4

I use one for what I need to write, otherwise I'm a bit of a reactionary. I prefer books to kindle any time; communication is too good, causing all sorts of abuse of the system; verbal communication and inter personal skills are suffering but I will admit to being on Facebook to keep in touch with friends, while it used to be 'phone or a hand written letter, to which I wouldn't mind reverting if I had to. A common excuse for problems today is, 'computer error', which is a euphemism for, ' crap in - crap out'. It is a tool but in many cases misused. And what happens if you haven't got one? You couldn't be on Nottstalgia for a start but many are without one and suffer for it.

• Upvote 1

Touch,feel,talk,smile,smell,personal interactions,..........computers are putting an end to them.

Not necessarily. As a result of computers and websites, I have personal contact and meetings with people who I would otherwise not be meeting.

• Upvote 2

Not necessarily. As a result of computers and websites, I have personal contact and meetings with people who I would otherwise not be meeting.

I find that teenagers and some in early twenties have great trouble with personal contact and the use and meaning of words.

• Upvote 1

Face to face in business,is what ive been used to,then you know who you are dealing with,the travel the expectation,the aura of the people (or not) and the place,the general feeling of being involved,perhaps its just me,but thats what i call being alive.

#9 I use the computer for most written things but still keep a handwritten diary, and for applications of any sort I may do the main part on the computer but I always include a handwritten cover note.

• Upvote 1

I write short stories just as a hobby, amateurish of course, and not for gain. Just to keep the old noddle box going. I started off using

an old typewriter, omg the difference a computer makes. say goodbye to tipex and a 3inch brush.

I wish i had the experience you nostalgians have, but at the moment I'm quite happy to plod on. thanx fer' yer' company.

• Upvote 5

I use mine for all sorts, research, digitally repairing photos, we do some shopping, mostly tools and things like that as they are cheaper, no tax and in most cases free S&H.

Last week i used up all my monthly wifi d/load limit early it was like having our hands tied behind our backs !

We use a laptop, two ipads, two iphones and two kindles ! we do all our banking, finances, book flights, book caravan parks, view places on google earth or streetview and a multitude more.

When our daughters bought my wife an ipad she said she would never use it, now I can't get her off of it !

Basically we do everything with computers. Travel planning, photography (store all photo's) gosh where do I stop.

• Upvote 1

I always have backups of everything, photos are stored on one external hard drive and two seperate copies on CD's, even CD's can get corrupted....

Apart from Nottstalgia and general Internet use I use mine a lot for video editing. So much better than the days when we had to cut and glue various pieces of 8 mm movie film together. Not to mention being able to add sound, music etc. Next thing is virtual organ. There are programs available that allow you to hook your computer to a midi keyboard and you can play the organ at Westminster abbey or many other places where the sounds have been sampled. Never would have believed it possible.

• Upvote 1

Tomlinson #11 - proud to say I'm not one of em!

I'm sure not but there are plenty around. For instance, in speaking to a 19 year old girl, I mentioned the word 'untenable'. "What does that mean" ? she said. "Indefensible", I replied. " What does that mean"? she said, and so on. Not all suffer the same thing it is true, but I certainly come across a great deal of it. Having produced and written bits for an Am Dram group, it is a sobering experience.

• Upvote 1

mind blowing for me loppylugs. I did manage the video recorder before it went out of fasion. mind yer' I'm good at D. I. Y.

My handwriting had to be reasonable, I had to write shift reports every day, so others had to be able to read what I wrote..My typing skills were almost none existant until I started using a computer, I'd learned Morse Code and used a computer to send me random characters, so fast learned where each key was on the keyboard.

I should probably start an anti technology thread but as I get older I have less interest in the latest "cool" gadgets. Detest text messaging. Seems to be destroying language. I can understand that "How R U?" Saves space when texting, but why not just dial my number and I'll TELL you how I am! We seem to be regressing.

• Upvote 2