Chilwell Ammunition

Hi folks, hope all are well.

My Mum recently mentioned that my Grandma used to work in ammunition during the war, somewhere in Chilwell, she knows very little other than this but I'd be really interested in hearing any information about the place or seeing where it was, what it looked like or where it used to be even!!

Any takers?

In The Great War (WW1) it was known as the National Shell Filling Factory, built by Lord Chetwynd. After the war (and a huge explosion) the site was split into two, the east was the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) and the west was the Ordnance Depot. About half the site still exists adjacent to the Tesco at Toton. The whole site was/is affectionately known simply as 'The Depot'.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad there is high security there. The last thing we need is terrorist attacks in Notts.

• Upvote 1

Melissa. There was a programme on BBC last night all about the Chilwell Shell-Filling Factory during the First World War, with some old film that has been discovered. If you didn't see it then catch up on BBC I-Player. Kate Adie hosted the programme.

• Upvote 1

The was always a level of security but I recall being driven through the Depot in the 50's & 60's and camping on the land above the secure area but still in the Depot jurisdiction. The IRA threat put paid to the camping and since the Depot has been 'very secure'. At a time the USA rented a space resulting in protest marches etc.

• Upvote 1

I remember working on some roofs at an ordnance depot somewhere near west bridgford, perhaps just the other side

of bridgford, at that time which was a long time ago I remember they used to take some of nottingham prisoners there to work

the land, under guard of course. does anyone know of the depot?

Sounds like Ruddington Depot, By the 1970's it was an MOD disposal depot where vehicles and plant were sold off at regular auctions. We used to go there to buy the motorbikes.

Bit off topic, but at the time rumours were rife of people buying say a lorry, and then finding the back of it full of motorbikes...

There were strange goings on at the auctions though, whereby a handful of people ended up with most of the vehicles and then met up at the Nottingham Knight pub where my brother worked, just up the road, and shared out the vehicles amongst themselves.

I never fully understood what exactly went on. I assume that a syndicate bought every vehicle regardless of what it cost them, whereby the other potential buyers got disheartened and cleared off, meaning the remaining vehicles became cheaper.

When I was about 10 years old I used to cycle to Trent Junction to see the trains. When I went down the A453 as it was then (but not now), I passed the main entrance which was then just past where the Attenborough traffic lights are now. It was a big gatehouse with four guards holding what looked like really business like guns, maybe machine guns. but I remember it was the first time I ever saw real guns and it frightened the hell out of me. There was a high fence and a hedge all the way round the complex and there were guards with dogs patrolling in between all the time. The road past was narrow and went over a concrete framed bridge over the railway line which accessed the depot.