Tornado damage assessed at £37.26p He, He He.!

• Upvote 1

I have worked in alfreton and I find your comments inappropriate,I know for a fact that one property in alfreton fetched £45 admitted it was a 10 bedrooms detached with a swimming pool and heli pad in 10,000 acres of prime pastuers

• Upvote 2

Yeh! Well said Michael.

Oh. And I'm nearer to Offerton than you that are still near Nottingham City Centre and I still have think about what is the best way to get there.

Just took a tour around the main streets of Alfreton on streetview but didn't recognise much from when I used to visit there in the late 70s . Didn't look too bad on streetview !

I worked for the North East Mids Co-op in the late 1970s and whilst there , we built a large 2 story non-food and supermarket store in Alfreton . I am sure it faced a newish bus station .

Our non-food section did quite well but the food section struggled at the time because of the layout and also a supermarket called Hillards opened at about the same time across the road.

A pal of mine who worked with me at Asda at West Bridgford became the Alfreton Co-op store manager and wierdly a girl who also worked with us at Asda became the Hillards manager . I left in 1981 and lost touch .

Found the bus station on streetview but doesn't look like the Co-op is there anymore .

This seems to be the area ? Maybe the Home Bargains store was where the Hillards was and the Co-op lay behind all the bus shelters .?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0954694,-1.3886611,3a,60y,23.87h,88.55t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s2ExB8zHnG4xmRBnjjz7bDw!2e0!6m1!1e1

• Upvote 1

Found the bus station on streetview but doesn't look like the Co-op is there anymore .

This seems to be the area ? Maybe the Home Bargains store was where the Hillards was and the Co-op lay behind all the bus shelters .?

You are right about Home Bargains Being the old Hillards store, The Co-op building is still there the lower floor becoming a Wilko,s, now not visible from the bus station because of newer buildings, the upper floor I think is just storage. Seems so long ago now I had almost forgotten it was the Co-op.

Thanks mgread for the info ! I think the street that ran down between Hillards and the Co-op has been pedestrianised too which is why you can't view it all on streetview.