The Weather!!!!!

It's been an odd sort of winter so far up here in Caithness. Hardly any snow, yet just down the road they have had several feet of the stuff. It has been very wet though and the constant easterly gales have made a bit of a mess of the Wick north Shore car park.

The remains of thet concrete wall on the right was the car park wall:

IMG_9395.JPG?gl=GB

Coldest winter in 25 years across the mid west, south and east coast..Thousands of record lows broken from Oregon across to the east coast down to the Gulf of Mexico.

They even had snow from the Texas/Mexico border to Florida along the Gulf coast.

We've been as much as 30 degrees below average in both day and night temps..

We also have had a record amount of snow so far this winter where I live.

of course so far this winter has been very mild indeed but so far 2014 has been very wet as most of us will agree but spring is certainly on its way been out for a bit of a drive today saw a few lambs in the fields ,snowdrops, catkins. and pussy willow/ and even a few crocus just showing there heads. all these things i associate with the comming of spring, hodstock priory near blyth now open for the snowdrops as is hopton gardens near cromford both well worth a visit if you looking for something to doin the next couple of week or so. im sur you can find details and prices on line.

• Upvote 2

Looking at Nottingham's temps over the last few weeks, most days were within average for this time of year. Remember though, average is within ten degrees either way with the odd high and the odd low.

Our average temp for this time of year is near 50F, so 36F is very low and we have seen a few minus temps this winter..

Being a gardener I am more than a little cautious.

1946/47 started out like this year with a mild January then the snow started in late January nearly brought the country to its knees.

Then in March it rained, this with the snow melt brought disastrous flooding. The Trent burst its banks on March 18th in Nottingham 3000 homes were flooded along with 85 factories, the railway lines at Midland station were under water and army ducks were seen floating through West Bridgeford.

My mate was a telegraph lad at the time and witnessed most of it.

• Upvote 2

Wet and windy over here also and warm 6°c, normally it is around -2°c with about 5feet of snow, all we have is about 1 foot, because the rain is always melting it, and in the valley there is about a foot of flood water where there is normally a foot of snow this time of year...The seasons have gone mad, it feels like the end of march not the middle of February

#7 NewBasfordlad

The flood defences were put in place in the 50's, but 2000 followed a similar weather pattern, with snow melt causing floods, which didn't hit Nottingham so badly as they opened the flood gates and the water meadows around the city took the brunt of it, particularly near Newark where the flood water from Nottingham met the Bore coming up from Gainsborough. So far we seem to have escaped this time round.

So Looks like a 50 year cycle thing, in the Notts area. Lets hope that by the time this all happens again the powers that be have taken a leaf out of the Dutch flood protection scheme book. They too have had the storms, but their flood defences have held.

The one factor governing weather at the moment is an El Nino, in the Pacific, this one is supposed to be a large one, hence the poor snow pack in the Sierras and milder weather in Europe.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the loss of the railway embankment at Dawlish, one of the incidents that are dominating the news recently: Every time I look at the railway at Dawlish I wonder "Why hasn't the sea reclaimed it?" Now it has. It was only a mater of time befoore it fell foul of a winter storm and nothing surprising at all.

As for the Somerset Levels - why were they called the levels in the first place and why did the Bronze Age dwellers erect huge wooden walkways over them? It's a bally flood plain, that's why. Flood plains fill with water when subject to prolonged heavy rain; again no surprises. Live on a flood plain - get flooded, simples! ;)

• Upvote 3
  • 11 months later...

It's 14:00pm on Tuesday 13th January, they were predicting a possibility of snow, the skies were beautifully clear however up until now. I was just contemplating taking the dogs out for a walk when we've just been subjected to one of the most violent thunder and lightning storms I've ever experienced, this wasn't predicted by the glamorous Carol Kirkwood, even the dogs, who normally couldn't care less, were cowering, it's going over to the east now, quite a strange occurrence at this time of the year. Has it happened up there.

I've just come back from taking the dog's out down our mudbath of a so called council footpath. I bumped into one of my fellow dog walkers who was still in shock from the ferocity of the storm, now it's lovely blue sky again, but gone freezing cold, can we have a blizzard and get it over with!!

We get loads of thunderstorms during winter, in fact a couple of years back, around this time, we had a tornado touch down just a couple of hundred yards to the north of our house. Our thunderstorms occur when we get warm southerly winds hit cold air off the Rockies.

We have also had thunderstorms while it's snowing!!

If it could just stay off for a few more hours. Just up for my former husbands funeral, and due to drive back to the Cotswolds in a short while.