The Weather!!!!!

Weather seems to have gone totally whacky everywhere. Had a pretty good thunderstorm here overnight a couple of weeks ago. Wife tells me thunder was just about unheard of here in the winter and she should know, she's been here all her life. Never heard of winter thunderstorms in the UK when I was growing up there. Signs of the times I guess.

If it could just stay off for a few more hours. Just up for my former husbands funeral, and due to drive back to the Cotswolds in a short while.

You poor thing, by the looks of it the Cotswolds are going to cop the snow tonight, that's all you need on top of what must be an awful day under any circumstances.

Ayupmeducks, I think we've had that scenario in reverse, cold air hitting the warm air over the South East, the temperature drop in such a short space of time has been staggering, I went out with just a fleece for a jacket earlier and got very warm. I had to take the dogs out wearing my arctic coat, came back and put the central heating on it was so cold.

Pete, the first Christmas we was on this land, after lunchtime on Christmas Day, (2001) it dropped from around 36F to almost 0F in less than one hour!!! I have never lived anywhere where I've seen winter temps drop that rapidly. It ended up in the minus range over night.

I've seen weather I've never seen anywhere else since I've lived down here, worst ice storm on record, thunderstorms in our neck of the woods are scary, three close ground strikes. Sounds like a huge explosion!! It's not thunder when it hits 100 or so feet away, just a bomb going off!

Rain??? Only place where I've seen rain heavier, was in NSW Oz, on the coast, which is temperate rain forest, so expected, BUT, try up to 2 inches an hour for over 24 hours!!! That's how heavy we can get it here.

Just packing the car now ready to set off. I'll report in later, just hope our friends who came all the way from Glasgow make it back safely tomorrow.

Made it back to Moreton In Marsh safely, only snow seen was relaxing on top of some cars a couple of miles out of Moreton, otherwise lovely clear starry skies all the way.

• Upvote 4

When I look out of the window, here in W-ton, all I can see is beautiful Blue sky. Not a cloud to be seen. Hope you have got some of this in Nottingham? Not saying anything about the sprinkling of snow every where. Too nice to stay in, so we are off on our travels. Mmm, now where shall we go? :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

IF you happen to be coming our way 'carnie'............wrap up well , cos its proper 'Brass Monkeys'

• Upvote 2

Made it back to Moreton In Marsh safely, only snow seen was relaxing on top of some cars a couple of miles out of Moreton, otherwise lovely clear starry skies all the way.

Glad you got home OK Darkanza. The weather in deepest darkest Essex is beautiful today, no snow, clear blue skies, but cold. I've just come back from a walk up to the market to get some more bird food, my feeders are feeling the strain at the moment. On the way back I cut through the Braintree and Bocking Public Gardens. This is a beautiful little Victorian arboretum, complete with a thatched bandstand and renowned cafe in the wardens delightful Victorian house. The trees, wildlife and atmosphere are stunning, considering it's almost in the town centre. I walked down to the ornamental, circular fish pond on a whim and found to my amusement the resident Kingfisher, sitting on a branch overlooking the fish pond and clearly willing me to sod off. We stared at each other for a while then, in a flash of beautiful dazzling blue that only Kingfishers can show to the world, he flew off into the trees and was lost from sight, a magic moment.

• Upvote 1

Nice bright, sunny day, but it is still very cold........Just the sun shining through the Patio doors keeping me warm and a cup a soup........Central Heating broke down........Rolll on Summer......

Heavy snow just started in north Netherlands !

Son just rung as he is supposed to be driving to Hook of Holland to catch overnight ferry to Harwich this afto . Wouldn't look forward to that sea-crossing tonight !

re #17/18 We didn't aim for Nottingham today. For a change we ended up in Warwickshire. Afraid no beautifull country side to tell you about either as it was Motorway most of the journey, and the Blue Sky has now turned into a very heavy looking Grey. Probably about to deposit another layer of the White Stuff on the top of the thawing layer. Brass Monkeys! We are getting there! The nicest thing about todays excurtion was the Fresh Cream Morrisons sponge Cake at my sister in laws. :biggrin:

There seems to be blowing a Gale out side tonight. I can hear lots of 'Crashing and Banging'. I fully expect the fence to have gone and a few Branches to be strewn about the garden. I hope its better for you in Nottingham. Especially for the Nottstalgians making thier way home from The Roebuck.

Not forgetting Mr and Mrs Chulla, making thier way home from The Concert Hall.