M@S Food Hall Netherfield

I see Victoria Retail Park Netherfield is to have a m@S Food Hall . I just love thier selection of food. For anyone who hasn't got a lot of time or ability to prepare meals from scratch, you can get some delicious ready meals.

We treat ourselves sometimes to the 'Tika Masala', highly recommend, but also every day meals are of good quality. A bit expensive so we just shop there as a treat. I shall definately be calling in to check it out next visit to Gedling.

I would think there will be Employment prospects taking on new staff as well. Gotta be good!

• Upvote 1

We had a caravan on Skegness Sands for nine years and not wanting to spend time in side cooking, we would buy our treats from Skeg M@S. I was very sorry to see that branch close down. But if the custom and profits were down, no point in staying open.

I see it's actually opening tomorrow. We like the M&S in West Bridgford, but we go to Netherfield every week so it should be good for us. We find they're good value and much of what we buy are the 'sell-by' reductions, we're not proud, usually down about 20-25% or more. Most of that goes in the freezer anyway. I always stock up on the regular 25% off wine offers, it still comes off already reduced prices and can sometime work out decent wine at less than half price. Have to be quick on that one though.

We will just check the weather forcast and if it's dry in Nottingham, we have decided to visit Wilford and Gedling this Morning and remove the wreaths. I believe they like it all done by the end of January? A quick visit to my Sis and if we have time, then we will wendle our way to Netherfield and check out M@S. I'm not keen on TK Max for some reason, so will give it a miss. Right. Must get up now....Banana Butties and a Flask of Coffee to put up for the journey :biggrin:

As John boy says, weekend parking will be chaotic. The Crown Estate have been excessively greedy in putting too many retail units on the site commensurate with the parking spaces available. I'm surprised that M & S and TK Max have not properly researched the situation.

Phil

Braintree had an M & S Food Store right in the centre of town in the main Lion Square shopping precinct. A few years ago, when M & S decided that things were tight, they decided to shut it down, despite the fact that it was apparently profitable, I gather they more or less stuck pins in a map and we were unlucky, or rather out in the sticks as far as their supply chain went. There was an outcry and a petition with 5000 signatures was sent off to M & S, that's 1 in 7 of the towns population. It didn't do any good, the place was closed up very quickly, everyone was put out of work and the premises was passed on to the Pound Shop chain, how low can you go!

Unbelievably, last year M & S decided to return to Braintree and open up a huge food store. The problem is, it's right out of town, next to Freeport Retail Outlet in the area reserved for such stores as B & Q, Halfords, etc, etc, there is/was a ban on food outlets in this area, Asda had a planning application for a supermarket next door turned down on those grounds, so how have M & S got away with it. This area is so busy it's almost impossible to park on a weekend, traffic jams extend everywhere and even bring the A120 dual carriageway to a standstill. We fancied their meal deal last Saturday, but quite frankly, couldn't see the point of driving all the way up there, queuing in traffic, then finding nowhere to park just to spend a few quid. If other residents feel the same way and I know some do, they really won't become profitable anymore and close that one too, moving out the town centre was a real kick in the groin for their regular customers and town centre trade, Braintree District Council should never have given them permission to set up a store there, but that's bloody Local Authorities for you, more fear of litigation than sense.

Victoria Retail Park has come a long way from when it opened in the eighties. There were only about five or six outlets then and rather than cars, in the deserted car-park you were more likely to see tumbleweed blowing about. As a retailer, I was always amazed it survived. These days it's good site with a decent range of shops. I've never found a problem parking, there's always space at the B&Q end.

Retail site landlords are totally mercenary and do try to cram units on and take parking necessities with a pinch of salt. I managed a unit on Fosse Park in Leicester for quite a few years and on many weekend days, and during the Christmas season, the car park was closed because it was rammed and the queues were causing traffic blockages on the surrounding dual carriageways. Barmy!

We popped in today. Place was packed out with people filling baskets and trollies with food as if there would be no tomorrow.

I grimaced at the prices they charge, though. I think I prefer Aldi and Lidl!

Thier food is expensive, no doubt about it, but for an occasional treat, it's worth it. My store cupboard only holds a few herbs and spices, so if there is a dish that looks good in the Cook Book. More often than not, I would have to go out and buy them specially. Throwing them away eventually when they are out of date! I agree about Aldi and Lidl, I get a lot of my weekly food from them, but there are a few things that we like the Original Brands so I pick them up at Morrisons. We would only use M@S now and then, but I usually spend more than intended because we can't resist the choices.

I forgot to say, we drove by the Victoria Retail Park today on the way to Gedling. I saw the M@S store, but it was to cold to get out of the car! Lol :P