Pedometer challenge

Well, only got through 3 of the risk assessments so far...so much reading and then applying them to the site and noting where things could be improved, this could be a long job, but yesterday was our outside day, so after cleaning and lunch I was busy finishing off the insect hotel, using hedge trimmings (John was brandishing the hedge cutter...too heavy for me) they made excellent filler and some on top too (must get on with the wildlife blog) Popped a roof on and it's ready for the grand opening, already has one resident as a spider moved in as I was completing it.

Then watered all the planters and hanging baskets as well as my own veggies and as soon as we knocked off it was off to Asda for chinesey type food as we were doing a steamboat for tea. Hands up those who know what a steamboat is.

So total steps for the day 8798

Carni you did great for feeling off colour, hope you're back on course very soon, but take it easy and make sure you are completely recovered, don't go over doing things.

Love your version of a lazy day Rog, looking forward to hearing what you do on a lazy Sunday :)

Enjoy the rest of the weekend folks

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another busy day at Sunny: and very Windy Lytham St Anns. From 12oclock, we have been cycling or walking all afternoon: and I have finally used my Pedometer properly. Most days I have been forgetting

Feel like I'm missing out on the fun (?) here. Better get myself a pedometer and walk the dog more often.

Today my fellow Pedometerists, we have excelled ourselves. We have been working up to attempting our Lytham St Anns to Clevelys cycle ride all week,and today the wind was calmer so we took the plunge

Well done Pedometerists, I am reading about all your acheivements over the last couple of days and feeling just a teeny weeny bit envious, because I am grounded and so bored. I am capable of cycling, my balance is fine, but I decided it is best to ease up for a couple of days. The weather is making it more acceptable that I can't get on my cycle, but I am sitting looking up my garden with itchy feet. I need my peddles so badly. Lol.

Seriously, I am almost static at the moment, so I have not bothered putting my Ped on.

The Chinese food appeals to me darkazana, but no idea what doing a steamboat means?

Hope your lazy Sunday is lazier than your Lazy Saturday Rog.

Keeeeep Stepping everyone. I'll be back !

Well,grounded you say carni,nowt wrong with that me duck,you've earned a rest and I'm sure you'll soon be back turning those pedals and Darkazana's 8798 for checking risk assesments and tending the insect hotel is just great,steady day for me I'm afraid,looking for another car to replace the write off so, a fair bit of driving round in the pickup truck,steps for yesterday 5024 but so far today I have gone crazy and the pedometer is reading dead on 14000,plenty of walking round the site doing boundary inspections,up and down the stockpile heaps and plenty of walking to the workshop and back to the office checking on the safety of the contractors,I am now tatered and looking forward to getting home having a shower and putting my feet up,unless Mrs P has other idea's

Keeeeep stepping and pedal pushing (I'm going for a rest)

Rog

• Upvote 1

I'm sure you will soon be back on your bike Carni, but do as you are doing and listen to your body, if it says no then that's a good enough reason. You have done so well a few days off will not hurt, but take it slowly when you decide to resume normal service :)

A well earned rest for you Rog, I am on average steps at the moment. Office day yesterday but managed a woodland walk (still avoiding the soggy bracken) so totalled 8089 steps. Today was the cleaning regime and I had every intention of lots of outside work but was thwarted by the rain, got some leaves raked up under the shelter of trees, but that was it really, still got 7577 so far.

Kayjay, you were pretty close. I was hoping to post a photo of mine from photbucket but my laptop won't do it. It's a large pot with a chimney on top of a charcoal burner also known as a Chinese fondue. You fill the pot with stock then add all sorts of veg and meat to it, fishing it out with little nets when it's cooked and dipping in a choices of sauces and accompaniments, as well as jasmine rice.. Great fun for a social event. it's very annoying that I can't copy anything to this page at the moment, had the same trouble with my other laptop but if you google Chinese Steamboat Images there is one exactly like mine in the first picture.

• Upvote 3

Today my ears are still giving me a lot of pain. Got to go back to the Docs Monday Morning, he wants to see what a week of putting olive oil in does? before he decides what action to take.

This morning I was so fed up of feeling sorry for myself that we took a risk on the weather and got the cycles out. We nearly got caught out in the rain half a dozen times,but it never came to anything. We were out for over two hrs, and I loved every moment. It didn't blow my earache away, but it blew the blues away.Lol.

I will work on 1hr 30min, cycling, making approx 5,859 steps. I haven't had my Ped on at home (I forgot) but at least I have had some exercise today.

There will be no cycling tomorrow, as we are going to Nottingham, but hopefully if the weather is dry, I can cover a bit of ground at the Arboretum. As soon as my ear problem is sorted out, I will be back on form. Keeeeep Stepping Ped Peeps. and I am enjoying reading your interesting daily activity accounts.

• Upvote 2

Step count for yesterday,8192, I struggle to reach the 10,000 mark or am I just being lazy,who knows,yestrdays were achieved by site boundary checks on the western and southern boundary of the site,the weather was quite warm bordering on the hot,I was in full PPE gear of Hi Vis orange trousers,long sleeve shirt,steel toe capped boots,Hyflex gloves,hard hat with ear muffs attached and a pair of safety glasses,standard stuff for the industry,hard going through the sand and gravel but plenty of fresh air,lots of wildlife about including the sand martins,black headed gulls with chicks,kestrel hovering above the pine trees,tufted ducks on the fresh water lagoon with oyster catchers and chicks not far away on the banks of the lagoon,bit of work in the workshop then back to the office to catch up on the clerical stuff,bit of gardening when I got home and then collapsed on the sofa to watch a bit of the Tour de France,just a normal day I suppose.

Keeeep stepping everyone,it's great to read how you achieve your step count,we get the counts we want but in so many different ways

Rog

• Upvote 1

Well Done plantfit, 8,192 is good, it looks as if you earned them the hard way. I believe those elusive 10,000 are a lot harder to reach that we imagine.

darkazana, It takes more than a bit of rain to stop you from getting out there, 8,089 and 7,577 and still counting. Well done.

Chulla, up to 7,012 and still time for more. You have left me standing today. At the end of today I only have a meagre 5,020 total to show even with my stroll around the Arboretum. Mind you, we were sitting in the car for quite a while today, and I think the fresh air caused me to nod off for an hour, (or so) on returning home.

Hoping to get out on the cycles in the morning, if the weather is dry. Can't Wait! Keeeeep Stepping everyone, It's doin' us good.

• Upvote 1

16.7.15, This morning we had a nice cycle ride to Wombourne and back, we were out for just over three hours, but cycling for approximately 2hrs. I have put a post on "cycling on the towpaths" with the events of the journey. My steps for the cycle ride are approximately 7,812 plus 2,661 for my Ped, which added together looks pretty good at 10,473.

Looking forward to tomorrow, we are heading for the Manifold Valley again. Should be interesting.

Keeeeep Stepping everyone.

• Upvote 1

Sorry folks missed a few days but looks like you have been busy in our absence.

Good to see you're out and about again Carni, hope your ears are on the mend. Ear problems can be so debilitating because they are linked to so many other senses including balance.

I know what you mean about the elusive 10000 Rog, I seem to be back on the just above 6000 mark again.

The reason for my absence? Our days off this week were Tuesday and Wednesday and still being homeless we decided on a pub stay in the Norfolk Broads at Stalham, so once again no internet and mucho exploring, stopping off at the lovely seaside village of Mundsley for our lunch of sandwiches on the seawall, followed by an ice cream. After settling into the pub we went for a walk around Horning and Wednesday a boat trip around Wroxham Broads. So a fair bit of walking done.

Steps Tuesday 6273

Wednesday 7507

Yesterday 4048 (office day) plus yoga 4500 = 8548

• Upvote 2

It sounds like you have had a nice break darkazana, making the best of being homeless. I have spent some time on the broads in the past. We have relations living at Reedham. When Mum and her sisters were alive, we would have lots of family parties (any reason would do) and one of Mums sisters lived near the old Reedham Station, so we would visit them and they would show us all the local interests. Lovely part of the country.

Today we cycled on the Manifold trail again. I have added a little information on the Cycling the Towpaths Thread. We know we travelled at a faster speed than the 7mph that I work on because we timed our journey and miles covered, but I am happy to stick with 7mph. Here goes.

2hrs at 7mph = 7,812 and Ped 2,863. total 10,675. Thoroughly enjoyed the Manifold Valley, a great place to gain my step count.

Keeeeep Stepping every one.

• Upvote 1

Back to work yesterday and a cleaning day, with some pruning and clearing up of leaves which are already starting to fall - autumn must be on its way!

6410 steps total

• Upvote 1

When I first got my ped, my son asked what to put for my daily goal. I said 7,500. Didn't realise that if I exceed my goal, it keeps upping the ante. Yesterday the goal was 10,480, the highest it's been. That was because the day before I did over 16,000. I did about half that yesterday, so the goal came down by 200. It sure is bossy!

• Upvote 3

18/19.7.15 Well my Dears, after our wonderful and energetic visit to the Manifold Valley on Friday, I have to say we are both Kn done in. One day of good exercise and two days getting over it! lol.

Yesterday and today we have been more or less house bound, apart from a little house work and gardening, plus a trip to the local pub tonight for dinner, we have had no energy between us. Off to the Docs in the morning to see what plans he has in store for mi tabs. And to see what the cardiologist has to say about my new happenings in my chest. :huh:

Here are my not very fantastic totals for the last two days. No cycling just my Ped, Sat = 3,560 and Sun = 3,430. Not good. But all is not lost, it will soon be a new day and restored energy levels.(I hope).

Happy Stepping Everyone. :)

• Upvote 1

Good luck with your visit to the docs Carni, I hope the new happenings are good happenings brought about by your exercise.

Don't worry about your lack of step count, even into the 3000's is not bad, you are still moving about and not sitting all day. Gardening is good exercise even if it doesn't add too many steps to the tally (I bet it's on the calculator that Rog put on at the beginning of this thread!!)

A bit of a quiet time for us the last few days.

Saturday was my turn in the office, quite busy in that respect and got into the 3000's and topped it up by a walk through the woods and back via the Camping and caravanning club site which is next door....the bracken is now too high to go through for my usual route, I would need a machete to get through the jungle which now covers all the smaller paths! Its a good walk though and my total for Saturday was 6539.

Yesterday was back to cleaning and outside jobs, though I was more indoors as I am presently preparing stuff for The Princes Countryside Trust event which is happening at most of the Caravan Club Sites over this next week . For me this was icing a board for the Guess the weight Of The cake which I am making, and drawing a grid treasure map of a farmyard for "Where has Henrietta laid her eggs?"

Still, watering the plants and hanging baskets and checking on the wildlife haven, where we have some seedlings growing...shhhh don't tell the rabbits.....I managed to finish with a total of 7654.

Our day off today, not sure what we will be doing but hopefully it will have steps involved.....Have a good day everyone.

• Upvote 2

Had to wait until I got back to work to post on here because laptop has died,a resuscitation disc from Acer is costing me £50.00 so waiting for that.Anyway here goes,Gardening is on the list as you say Darkazana and it come in at 4800 steps an hour or 80 per minute. I managed 13442 for Saturday,we went to the Woodhall Spa 1940's weekend and had a great time,plenty of walking done,yesterday I only managed 8616,a day washing the car (new to me after getting the old one written off) a bit of gardening and lawn mower repairing,

carni,hope all goes well for you at the medicine mans,I'm sure it will,all the excersize you are doing he'll probably ask you to do a fitness video for some of his other patients.

Darkazana,watering hanging baskets come under gardening so does anything to do with the wildlife haven so include those steps too.

Katyjay,sounds like you are going to have to do as you are told with your new ped to stay in it's good books.

Keeeeep stepping all you are doing just great

Rog

• Upvote 1

Sorry to read that you have got to pay out for repairs to your laptop Rog, £50, that's quite an expense, we can't do without them though! I see you have made 13,442 on Saturday, i'm glad you enjoyed getting them at your 40s weekend, and 8,616 car washing and gardening, Well done. Busy Bee. By the way, I'm still wearing my cycling jacket, thankyou, plenty of wear in it yet.

You have been busy as well darkazana. Two very good totals there. 7,654 and 6,539 and part of that day was spent in the office! good luck with your Cake guessing competition and also with your Henrietta eggs map. Sounds great fun on your site.

20.7.15 Monday morning I saw the Doc, got to wait till next monday for cardiologist opinion? and i took a cancellation for an afternoon appointment, (had my ears swished) as the Doc called it. in between appointments we managed an hours cycle ride. 3,906 and 2,520 on my ped. tot = 6,426

21.7.15. Very good day in deed. Two rides. morning 1hr 30mins = 5,859. afternoon, 1hr =3,906 + ped 2,220 total= 11,985.

22.7.15. Today I forgot to wear my Ped, but managed to get out for a couple of hours, cycling approx 1hr30mins = 5,859.

Good work everyone. Keeeeep Steppin'

• Upvote 1

Still not managed to hit the magic number of 10,000. yesterdays effort was 8134, not sure how I managed that really,mainly office bound but did manage to get over to our old site (just down the road at RAF Woodhall) and picked some cherry's from the trees,very nice and juicy,plus a walk around the old silt lagoons to see the Little Egrets that have took up residence there,have to give some safety training tomorrow at two different sites so step count will probably be lower still, will have a go though,

Keeeep stepping all (and cycling carni) you are doing great

Rog

• Upvote 1

8,134 is quite OK plantfit, you were on the go, that's the main thing.

I have never seen a real cherry tree with fruit on, I wouldn't know when to stop picking, they are my favourite fruit. Far to expensive to buy the amount I can put away, Given the chance!

Pleased for you that you managed to fit a walk in and got the chance to see the wildlife. We get such a lot of pleasure out on the canals, watching all the baby birds of different kinds. So i can understand your enjoyment in seeing the Egrets.

23.7.15. We had a gruelling couple of hours out cycling in the morning, For a change we stayed on the roads and did a tour of three villages around our area. The trip was about 12miles. There turned out to be a few to many gradients for us both, and we were done in ( in a nice way) when we got home. Afraid it was lots of tea and paper reading for the rest of the afternoon. 5,859 + Ped 2,235 = 8,094

24.7.15. Well. What can I say? It has thrown it down all day. All I have done is potter around the house, with frequent Tea and Coffee breaks (No cakes, I am on a count down for my hols in three weeks). Just to get out for a while this afto we had a car ride to Cannock Chase, to a place called Brocton. It is lovely to see the Deer, and we had the pleasure of seeing a group of around 6/8 stags, with antlers of different sizes.

Steps Today, I am afraid are very few ...2,740. The weather looks drier for tomorrow. So, I hope to do better? Keeeeep Stepping all you Pedometerists out there.

25.7.15 Just a quick report in.

Can't wait to go to bee-byes tonight. Lol. We had a busy morning today, good for making plenty of steps, trying to find our way round a Hospital. Aren't they such big places, like little towns with all the roads and carparks and cafes! (Just Visiting)

The rain stopped play yesterday, so today we were raring to go. 2.15pm we set off on our trusty cycles and had a lovely three hours out in the fresh air. Not peddling all of the time though, we had important things to stop for...like Duck feeding, drink breaks, People watching, visiting call at daughters to pick up our dinner that she kindly prepared for us.

Anyway Ped Pals my step count for today. Ped = 2,375 + 2hrs cycling = 7,812 = 10,187. Hope you have all had a good day. Keeeeep Stepping.

YAWN. night night all. :sleeping:

If you try to find your way to somewhere in the Queens Medical Centre, and then find your way out again, I doubt there is a pedometer that will register the total steps taken.

PS. Bubblewrap. Before you find the exit you become a patient!

I thought I read somewhere when the QMC first opened, it was so big they marked the corridors with different coloured lines. Each line represented a dept, and you followed the line to the dept you wanted?

A bit like the map of the London Underground. Seems a good idea.

Hello Pedometerists. Just a tot up of my last three days totals.Things have slipped into a daily routine now, and doesn't change very much. I feel sure you will know my cycle rides as well as I do myself by now. Because of my on going (very painful ear problem) I am not being very active at home, so my Ped steps are quite low, but as soon as I feel up to it and the weather is on our side, we get out on the cycles. It always blows the blues away to get out in the fresh air. Absolutely Love it.

26.7.15. The forecast was rain more or less all day once it started, so we took a chance and set off. We don't care about getting wet once we are out, but won't leave if it is already raining. We had been going about 5mins and it started. We got very wet in deed. lol. Cycling 1hr = 3,906.+ Ped = 2,540.total = 6,446

27.7.15. We did our Wombourne trip yesterday, and cycled a total of 2hrs. Both of us had no energy that day, lots of 5min breaks on homeward journey. cycled 2hrs= 7,812 + Ped 2,260 total= 10,072.

28.7.15. Today, really didn't feel energetic, but made an effort for a short ride 45mins cycling =2,930+ Ped= 2,320. total 5,250.

Hope you Busy Bees are Ok and remember to.........Keep Stepping. :victory:

• Upvote 1