Pedometer challenge

Thankyou darkazana.The excersize bike is alot different to proper cycle riding. There is no way I could have done that distance on my cycle. I thought perhaps it didn't work out to the same amount of steps because it was less vigorous.

When we cycle it can take one and a half hours to do approx 10/11 miles at 8/10 mps, yet on the excersize bike today it took one hour to do nineteen miles It just seems odd.

Well done darkazana, you are doing really well.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another busy day at Sunny: and very Windy Lytham St Anns. From 12oclock, we have been cycling or walking all afternoon: and I have finally used my Pedometer properly. Most days I have been forgetting

Feel like I'm missing out on the fun (?) here. Better get myself a pedometer and walk the dog more often.

Today my fellow Pedometerists, we have excelled ourselves. We have been working up to attempting our Lytham St Anns to Clevelys cycle ride all week,and today the wind was calmer so we took the plunge

It's all exercise, so that's what really counts. Can you change the resistance on your bike? I seem to remember we could when we used to have one (we got bored on it too) We have now bought a stand for our normal bikes so that we can use them in the garage if the weather is too bad to go out in (probably use it in the winter...we haven't tried it yet) But I really enjoy my treadmill when I'm at home, Just stick some music on and walk to it. :)

• Upvote 2

Yes darkazana, I had the resistance turned up quite a lot but had to turn it down for the last 15mins. Chris had to oil the pedals when I had finished, it was making a right Din. The Pedals were red hot. Hope it's dry tomorrow so we can do the real thing Lol.I love getting out on the Tow Paths. Keep up the good work darkazana.

• Upvote 2

Hi Carni, and others doing the fitness thing.

Here's a link to convert from steps to cycling, looks a bit fiddly but not hard to do and would give you an accurate conversion.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/187672-how-to-convert-exercise-bike-miles-to-steps/

Just remember, any exercise is better than non at all, and even standing up uses far more calories than sitting down, so even in an office situation, standing up for a while and just move around is good.

My wife can "out walk" me into the ground, hence me doing some cycling, I have bad knees (had one done so far) and walking gives me pain but cycling I find easy.

Another tip is most car GPS, have a setting for walking or cycling and give an accurate distance measurement after the event. I just set my Garmin and place it in my bag, then cycle and have a look how far I've done after, if cycling a new route.

Once you know the route/distance that's it till you do a different one.

Sorry if I'm telling you what you know already.

• Upvote 2

As Banjo says,any excercise is better than non so well done to all, I was mainly office bound yesterday so only managed 6749 steps and today I had to visit another quarry to help with some paperwork so I will struggle again but who knows.

I think its great that you should join in with this as a bit of fun a bit of friendly competition and hopefully get a bit fitter

Rog

• Upvote 1

Hi plantfit, I took part in a company challenge in 2012 for 3 months. I achieved an average of, in that 3 months 22000 steps per day which at times was extremely difficult to achieve. The route attached got me 28000 steps in a day that I achieved just over 50000 steps which was my PB. Incidentally that total was dwarfed by some people!

The%20grueller_zpshrweevfl.jpg

• Upvote 2

What a poor result today. Too much sitting down with visitors

General daily activities approx 2,000

According to the chart, 30mins exersize cycle " 5,000

Total " 7,000

Not Good today. Where's the Cadburys.( Not Really)

Hoping for Sunshine tomorrow, I'll be on mi bike son. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Still not a bad result really Carni, I don't normally get much more than 6000, and am only getting a few more in because I am really focussing on it.

By 11am I had only managed just over 1000 steps, though on the plus side in our office there are no chairs, we are on our feet most of the time, just not moving a great deal. When I needed to know where someone was pitched I walked round the site to find them, and another walk a bit later on just to check everyone was pitched correctly (very important on this site as it's royal rules here!!),followed by some cone raking up (all brought down by the wind and rain) By tea time I had 4500 so after tea I had a double circuit of the site and managed to bring it up to 7512, but that's me done now. Tomorrow we will be back on cleaning duties so a few more steps hopefully, and by then the rain should have cleared too, may have to start having a morning walk!!!

• Upvote 2

very poor yesterday with being office bound for most of it, only achieved 5924, today will probably be worse as last night while fitting the new micro wave to the wall brackets the old one fell on my foot, bloody hell did that hurt, no sleep last night at all, so far only managed 1744 steps but will still give it a good shot, hope you are all enjoying the challenge as much as me though

Rog

• Upvote 1

nnsc, I am not worthy to be in the same company as you, wow what an achievement. something for the rest of us to aim for

Rog

Wore a pedometer all yesterday, including at the meet-up. There, it was registering just short of 6000 - Hippo Girl can vouch for that! Most of that was accrued going to and from the bar kickme

Question: Why can I only use the emoticons on the bottom of page, and not those shown after clicking 'Show All'?

• Upvote 4

Yes, but when I click on one it does not transfer to the message.

Lunch break...having just cleaned the two shower blocks, reading 4284 so far.

We are off this afternoon and will be visiting the local garden centre among other places so hopefully will get more steps in before I go to my weekly yoga class tonight.....must check your chart, Rog, to see if yoga counts as I don't take my fitbit with me usually.

Onwards and upwards.....

• Upvote 1

Well done darkazana, on the chart is says Yoga per minute 45 steps or 1hour at 2,700 steps.

We have just found our Pedometer, so i am now attatched to it? I will do some sums and report in later :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Today we were out for 2hrs 45mins. 45mins mending punctures and opening gates.

So we worked it out at cycling for .................................................................................................. 2hrs at 7mph= 7,200 steps ?

We found our granddaughters old Pedomiter at 1pm, so i put it on and

recorded 785steps before I accidently leaned on it and wiped it all off!!.....................................................................785 steps ?

Total 7,985 steps ?

Plus what ever I walked unrecorded. That's Cool thumbsup

• Upvote 3

Fitbit reading for today is 6108

1hr 45mins of yoga tonight = 4725 steps (according to the chart)

So total for the day is 10,833 steps...........phew I think I might have to lie down now.

Night night all

• Upvote 3

A megre 6121 today, not bad really because I was limping all day, foot/toe a bit easier today but only half day at work so should get a few steps in when cutting the grass and strimmering this afternoon.

7985 for carni and 10833 for darkazana, I've got my work cut out trying to keep up with you two,well done, like I say it's a bit of fun, friendly competition and the chance to maybe get a tad fitter so can't be a bad thing

Rog

• Upvote 1

You have done well plantfit especially with an injured foot. There's dedication for you. I think this is a great idea plantfit, and I'm sure the others do as well. I don't really even care if my step count is far from accurate, what it has done for me is get me motivated after months of inactivity.

We love cycling, but that is the only exersize I do. I can only walk a few yards and I am breathless, so I am far from fit.

Your right it is just a bit of fun, but it's doing the trick. Keep up the good work Miducks. :)

• Upvote 3

Well today we only managed 1hour on the cycle at approx 7mph (we had a phone call and had to return home)........................3,600

I put my Pedomiter on while doing housework and the last steps noted were................................................................................2,120

After that, I have no idea because, I knocked the bl...y thing off. It hit the wall and bounced straight down the Toilet!

I got it out but it had gone back to noughts. :rolleyes:.....................................................................................................Total recorded...5,720

Off we went to Sports Direct and got a bargain. A Karrimor Pedometer

half price at £5.99. Good Aye. Try it out tomorrow.

PS add a few more steps for the unrecorded ones. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Half day at work today then pick Mrs P up from the gym and take her to the supermarket, wait in the pickup truck for an hour then home, did a bit of weeding and grass cutting, foot/toe not hurting much today and managed 6249 steps, a bit of housework and gardening tomorrow after dropping Mrs P off at the gym,(should put a pedometer on her,she spends at least four hours a day at Total fitness) carni you seem to have caught the pedometer bug,good on yer

Rog

• Upvote 1

Glad to hear your foot is on the mend Rog.

Carni I think you are going to be one to watch now you have the bit between your teeth

You have both beaten me today, I have only managed 5864 so far, that's after my double circuit of the site. Friday is always a tied to the office day for whoever is on duty (yup, me today) and then it rained, that's about all the excuses I can think of for now :)

Still I have to do my Plank challenge yet, 90 seconds today but I don't think that will count for many steps.

• Upvote 1

Well done to you both, and glad to hear your foot is feeling more comfortable plantfit.

It must be difficult for you both to fit the walking in if you are working. But you are managing it really well.

The one thing that has surprised me is how quickly the steps mount up.( hope I am not overcalculating, my cycle results)?

Without my cycle rides, I think my steps would be quite low, but I am really enjoying, sharing each others results. It can only do us good.

• Upvote 2