http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/22/france-to-force-big-supermarkets-to-give-away-unsold-food-to-charity

I don’t see why legislation can’t include an addition that said food is exempt from the compensation racket by being marked as ‘At own risk’

Just think…folks being able to make their own choices without the ‘help’ of the state.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like a good idea. I'm sure a lot of good stuff ends up in the landfill anyway. When you think about it all the stuff we buy is really at our own risk. It would have to be a very well proven problem for any compensation to be handed out and the lawyers grab that anyway.

catfan

Relax about the chickens.

Nothing like the press to cause unnecessary concern. Any infection can kill you. Its potential to do so varies. Ebola is an infection. Its very likely to kill you. I am very scared of this bug. Campylobacter? Not scared at all. Many on this site have had "food poisoning" by campylobacter* and have just puked and poohed but not died. It is not usually that dangerous. Mostly it is not worth giving antibiotics. Just take plenty of fluids and stock up on toilet paper. MRSA the villainous mega bug is carried on the skin of about 20% of the population. Does this cause a problem? No. In hospitals we have learnt how to stop this bug causing blood borne infections (that is the type which kills you). How? Washing hands and simple disinfection. I work at a huge hospital and we have 1200 beds. Almost always full. How many MRSA blood infections last year? None. None at all.

Campylobacter is a very common bug. It gets everywhere. Especially into poultry, as with many other "killer" bugs. Camplylobacter is one of the very many bugs killed by cooking chicken properly. Eat raw chicken and you deserve everything you get. Simple hygiene and proper cooking will stop campylobacter without fail. Wash the chicken, wash your vegetables and fruits (especially salad stuff) and cook them properly. And please, wash your hands often. See below.

Research has shown that the filthiest thing in a supermarket is the handle of the shopping trolley you are holding. Its minging. Absolutely ramming. Far filthier than the chicken. First thing I do when I unload the shopping bags into the house? Wash hands. Simple and very effective.

*Think of the dodgy chinese, KFC or indian that you have had, which made you bad. Mostly it was campylobacter.

• Upvote 2

This is nothing new, there has always been a level of bacteria in fresh poultry, from all sources. Care in handling and preparation, ensuring surfaces are then thoroughly cleaned prevent cross-contamination. Thorough cooking is of course key, and ensures any bacteria is killed. No need to worry if the rules are followed.

• Upvote 2

When I cook chicken or turkey hands are washed very thoroughly after handling the bird and I also disinfect the plate and utensils used and rinse them in hot water before the normal washing up process. Cooking times and temperatures are strictly adhered to so the meat is properly cooked. When I cook I am responsible for the safety of the product and have a duty of care for my husband, son and visitors. I passed on this approach to our son. He loves cooking. All through his student days he did not get food poisoning from his cooking! Must be getting something right!

• Upvote 2

#4 I was always taught never to wash fowl as this can spread the bacteria to other surfaces. It's been around for years I remember my mum sticking a knife into the chicken, down to the bone to make sure there was no blood to be seen.

The major problem as I see it is eating out, especially the 'stall' type of place where you have no idea whether the chicken has been cooked properly or not. If I am right the poor lady who died not so long ago caught it at a music festival.

• Upvote 2

#7 You are spot on correct NewBasfordlad on both points. At the Royal Show a few years ago we bought chicken and chips from a stall. I ate the chips firt so they did not go cold and then started on the chicken. When I cut it open the inside was still frozen! Took it straight back and got a full refund, no quetions! I never buy from places like that now. A good thing I cut it open before eating any.

Strange you should say that as your employers the NHS say on their NHS choices web site you should never wash raw chicken for the very reason I gave. Fine water droplets can travel quite some distance and you only need a few bacteria to cause problems, their words not mine.

Mind you what else do we expect from the NHS they tell us all that obesity kills, if you sit in the Queens Med it's like a Rolly Polly convention in uniform.