Chez Pierre restaurant bridlesmith gate

45 bridlesmith was the Hippo club, where I worked in the early 70s........at one time it was a French restaurant called LE GOURMET and can remember going with my parents....excellent food, ahead of its time for Nottingham...

it was late 1950's it has a listing in the archives as chez Pierre 1959. I'm looking for the name of a Mr peters who apparently owned the place and possibly of Greek orgin.

This might be the closest you'll get. According to Picture the Past, this is approx 1950s. It would be on the right, about opposite the car.

bridlesmith50.jpg

• 9 months later...

The Chez Pierre on the buildings floor plan from Nottinghamshire Archives showed a owners name at the bottom of the plan as being a P Sarrides, the address was 45 Bridlesmith Gate. The document was for 1959

Phone book records show a

P Sarrides

Petros Greenwood Cres

Carlton, Notts

• Upvote 1

I remember my Mum going to Chez Pierre with some people from where she worked, around 1960. I think she was quite looking forward to it, but came back unimpressed. Place was apparently in disarray, serving cold food and running out of basics like potatoes etc. Always stuck in my mind.

Col

• 2 weeks later...

we used to go into Le Gourmet regularly but I dont remember it being on Bridlesmith Gate

It was in the early 70's. It was in a courtyard not far from the square going down towards m&s. practically opposite waterstones bookshop perhaps a little further up. Dont know if waterstones is still there.when Le Gourmet closed it reopened with Trattoria Conte

Wheeler gate thats it couldnt remember the name . Thanks Hippo girl. Another age moment.