Jobsworths rule the roost

I was in town this afternoon and witnessed the nauseating site of one of Nottingham's parking attendants issuing tickets to a couple of taxis that were picking-up a party of very elderly ladies who had been visiting the Salvation Army hall on KIng Edward Street.

When I asked why he wasn't giving the customary grace period to allow for loading he grunted something about his manager told him no to.

I do hope the chap or his "manager" never has to rely on the services of the Sally Army.

• Upvote 2

Odd. It's not 'customary grace period' it's an exemption for boarding and alighting unless there is a 'no loading' period in which case there is never a 'grace period'. On one side of King Edward St you can stop for boarding without being 'parked as of right, on the other side there is a bus stop area where you can't. It's not up to either the parking attendant nor their bosses whether or not it's allowed. I suspect taxi drivers know their rights and this case will be won at tribunal.

edit - I assume it would have been obvious that the taxi was picking up and he hadn't parked then gone looking for his fare.

Yes, motorists are permitted to briefly stop on double yellows to pick up or drop off passengers, provided there are no stopping restrictions in force at that particular time. Taxi drivers do chance their arms sometimes, but will know the rules and would no doubt appeal if the attendant was wrong.

Safe to mention his name,he's in jobsworth heaven!! Mr Merry was his name. He was some gaffer on the council in the 60's. My goodness he was desperate!! Anyone recall him?- he was wrongly named i can tell yer!

Personally, I think those old-style wardens would be right for today's parking problems. Whilst there were some little Hitlers back in the day, looking back, many wardens in my experience were actually quite understanding. They got a lot of stick but had more credibility than today's scruffy parking attendants, no doubt driven by targets and bonuses and looking to bag as many offenders as possible.

Unfortunately these days, many motorists don't give a monkeys where they park and what obstructions and mayhem they cause. Sometimes I just have to laugh at some idiot getting a well-deserved addition to their windscreen. Today in West Bridgford, I saw a large van parked completely blocking the pavement. A woman with a kiddy in a buggy was then forced to pass by on the road, braving the traffic. Whether we like it or not, there does need to be some control.

There should be more control of parking in supermarkets. Top Valley shoppers do as they please . It's beyond a joke.

Pass me the gun mother !!!!! LOL

My road is residents only - 9 til 5 weekdays. Except nobody polices it and we still can't get parking if we arrive home between 3 and 3:30pm because of school pick-ups.

I once confronted a woman motorist who double parked near a school, blocking the road completely.

When challenged her reply was "It's the school run" , like that makes it OK then.