Over the past two nights I have had roadkill deer curry for my tea. Mrs Compo will not eat anything roadkill, she thinks it unhygenic. I have always taken advantage of the free food whenever I can get it, provided that it is freshly killed. One Christmas I had roadkill pheasant for my Xmas dinner - yummy scrummy!

What does the team think?

Wouldn't matter to me. When it's all cleaned up, what's the difference. I saw a tv programme back some time ago, where an old fella got his meat ration entirely from road-kill.

Good on yer...... If it's fresh.

Skunk, Armadillo, and Possum are the biggest roadkill around here, can send you some if you like roadkill...LOL

• Upvote 1

I'd eat certain roadkill as long as someone else skinned/plucked, gutted and cleaned it and I didn't have to watch! Also it would have to be fresh - don't want to be picking maggots off it, and disease free. On reflection, I think I'll stick with the local butcher. Just remembered....... I used to sometimes help my mum to pluck a chicken for dinner, but not 'draw' it and I had an auntie who said she always used the unshelled eggs which were sometimes still inside the chicken!

Never gets time to get maggoty around here, the Vultures and crows are there almost as soon as a critter gets hit.

• Upvote 1

When I worked on CIE a loco near Dundrum clipped a deer, our cable laying which was on another spur stopped instantly.. Never have i seen rail workers become proficient butchers so quickly! The whole thing was jointed and squared away in jig time!! Venison burgers all 'round.

Roo meat would be the roadkill here, but if it hadn't just happened it would be fly-blown in no time at all! Hitting a kangaroo, unless you're driving a semi trailer, could mean you'd end up as the road kill :)

One took the roof off my mates brand new car on the way to work one night, he was almost in tears, they used to scare me when I spotted them in my driving lights at night. I used to drive from Bathurst to near Lithgow to work back then.

Wouldn't think twice about it if it was fresh. Often used to see the local indigenous remove a big roo tail from a carcass at side of the road in our North. As they would say "Good tucker".

Early one morning, I was driving through Harby, and there was a recently killed badger in the road.

As I detest seeing crushed animals, I stopped in order to move it into the hedge bottom. As I rolled it with my foot towards the grass verge, it suddenly released a big squirt of pee over my boots. God rest it's little soul.

• Upvote 2