Gardening with weeds

We all rush to pull out weeds from our gardens but in a cold, wet summer like we are experiencing here in the far north of Scotland, weeds are among the few things that will grow nicely. Weeds can have a place in the garden for both wildlife and our own pleasure. Take a look at the following pictures and tell me if the weeds are just right for the place in which you see them:

Foxgloves:

IMG_3409_zps2nbe7ucv.jpg

A common sedge fronting bush roses and deplphiniums:

IMG_3390_zpswdclg4sq.jpg

Margeurite (Big daisies) among Geraniums and shrubs:

IMG_3396_zpscbcisrwu.jpg

Hogweed with Juniper bushes and Gunera manicata:

IMG_3395_zps91kekipo.jpg

Hens and chickens weed (Hawkweed):

IMG_3385_zpsbazpr1gf.jpg

Jacob's ladder, buttercups London Pride, Ajuga and Honeysuckle - all wild weeds:

IMG_3381_zpsdmixeyob.jpg

Foxgloves, Teasels, Jacobs Ladders, Campions and many other weeds that are not yet in flower such as Toadflax. These love the poor conditions found beneath a hedgerow of trees:

IMG_3378_zpssnjaa1iu.jpg

Fleebane. These flower their little hearts out all summer long and through into late autumn:

IMG_3376_zpsg3ytgael.jpg

• Upvote 12

Well if they are weeds my gardens full of them, must admit don't think i have ever planted anything in my life! The only reason I walk up the garden is with the lawn mower or Mrs Red hangs washing out ....... got a nice crop of daises coming on ....... i'd happily slab the lot or give some to next door.

oi%20001_zpsgsbdl2hv.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ilove gardening 'Red' but i never mow over buttercups or Daiseys,i think they look great.

Very difficult mate,leave em' don't mow till they die off,..........i like the idea of 'Cocktail sticks' tho,...lol.

WE mow most of the lawn but leave a small patch of daisies, buttercups and clover into late summer so that the bees can feast on them. I have a photo of the patch somewhere.....

The "Hens and Chicken" we call Queen Anne Lace over here, grows anywhere from 2 feet to over six feet, and is everywhere.

A lot of your stuff Compo I grow anyway. I have Foxgloves, London Pride (a form of Saxifraga), and Ox-eye daisies and Swan River Daisies growing in my garden. Also Aquilegia which the birds kindly plant for me. I have grown loads of bedding plants in containers although the black fly seem to love my Nasturtiums.

Hi Commo, it seems a ‘Higher Authority’ is also concerned about weeds:-

God to St. Francis, Frank you know all about gardens & nature don’t you so what in the world is going on down on planet earth? Whats happened to all the dandelions, violets, milkweeds & stuff I planted eons ago? I had a perfect no-maintenance garden plan of plants that grow in any soil, withstand drought & multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long lasting blooms attracts butterflies, honey bees & flocks of songbirds, by now I expected to see a vast carpet of colour but all I can see are these green rectangles.

St. F, It’s the tribes that’s settled there Lord, the Suburbanites, they called your flowers ‘weeds’ and went to great lengths to kill them & replace them with grass.

God, Grass? But it’s so boring, it’s not colourful it doesn’t attract butterflies, birds & bees, only grubs& sod worms. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?

St. Francis, Apparently so Lord. They go to great pains to grow it & keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilising grass & poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.

God , the warm spring rain must make them happy then with the grass growing so well!

St. F, No Sir just the opposite as soon as it grows they cut it back, sometimes twice a week.

God, They cut it? Do they bale it like hay then?

St. F, not exactly Lord, most of them rake it up and bag it.

God, Oh, so it’s a cash crop they can sell?

St. F, No Sir, in fact they pay to have it taken away.

God, Now let me get this straight, they fertilise the grass to make it grow, then cut it off & pay to throw it away?

St. F, Yes Sir

God, They must be relieved in the summer when I cut back on the rain slowing the growth down and saving them work!

St. F. You aren’t going to believe this Lord but when it’s dry they drag out their hoses and pay more to water it to keep it growing & green!

God, What nonsense, at least they kept some of the trees, a stroke of genius on my part even if I say so myself but the trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn they fall to the ground providing a natural blanket to keep moisture, nutrients & protection for the roots. It’s a natural cycle.

St. F. You’d better sit down Lord, the Suburbanites have drawn a new cycle, as soon as the leaves fall they rake them into great piles and pay to have them taken away.

God, No! What do they do to protect the soil and roots in the winter/

St.F. After getting rid of their leaves they go out and buy bags of what they call mulch which they then spread around to replace the fallen leaves.

God, And where do they get this mulch?

St.F. They cut down trees and grind them up very small to make the mulch.

God, Enough, enough I don’t want to hear anymore. St. Catherine, you’re in charge of leisure what movie do you have for us tonight?

St. Catherine, It’s called “Dumb & Dumber”, it’s a story about..........

God (interrupts) Never mind, I’ve just heard the plot from Frank!

PS off to my daughter this w/e in the IoW, she's waiting for the clover to die down so she can mow the lawn! cu

• Upvote 5
  • 2 weeks later...

When I took over my dad's house, I made a few changes to the garden and moved the lawn over to the other side. Trouble is there was once mint growing there. So every time I mow the lawn I can smell mint.

Anyone else plagued with Bindweed?

• 9 months later...

More weed photos:

1. Yellow Archangel

IMG_6682.JPG

2. Yellow Welsh poppy

IMG_6683.JPG

3. Not strictly a weed but when it gets this big... A veritable forest of parsley!

IMG_6672.JPG

• Upvote 1