Anyone know how to get rid of a pampas ?its taking over the front lawn,I can't burn it ,it's too near the road,tried cutting some of it down but got cut to smithereens.

Cat pee??

Half a gallon of petrol, light the blue touch paper and stand clear.

I did find this home made weed killer recipe, although I haven't tested it.

1 gallon of white vinegar.

Cup of salt. (that's the cooking measure, not a literal cup...LOL)

Tablespoon of liquid dish waship liquid.

Mix and pour into a spray bottle.

It's said to kill weeds.

The subject of Pampas Grass brought back memories of Bournemouth of the late 50s, early 60s and the cliffs above the beaches were literally covered with swaying Pampas for some distance in both directions from the Pier.

Just Googled the town and no Pampas. Lots of straggly, dried stems that could have been Pampas but apart from that - zilch.

The Bournemouth Town Gardens Office or similar would be a good source of information on their apparent successful elimination of this grass.

Just a thought.... :victory:

ps...Family always used to take some stems of Pampas plumes back home after the Hols, as well as the traditional stop in the New Forest on the way home to get some sprigs of heather, which were tied to the front grill of the car for luck.

The Euro lot have banned sodium chlorate for use as a weedkiller since 2009/10, you can still buy it for other uses but whether it's got the flame retardant included in it I don't know. I wouldn't risk using it without the flame retardant as Trumpton & Plod could get upset if it went up, could even be up in front of the beak..

I find glyphosate to be very effective - it worked on knotweed which is notoriously difficult to eradicate. As I recall, products such as Roundup, Pathclear and Resolva all have glyphosate as the active ingredient but compare the strengths to gauge value for money. 'Ready to use' products will be quite dilute and probably the most expensive gram for gram.

I started off with Wilkos glyphosate 90g per litre strength (one litre for under a tenner but I don't think they do it anymore), diluting it at the rate of 45ml in a litre of water (hand sprayer). Did the trick but knotweed needs several treatments and I ran out. Did a bit of research and found agricultural strength glyphosate (360g per litre) on the web. Bought 5 litre bottle for around £35. Sounds expensive but I can dilute it at a rate of 45ml to 4 litres of water. That's around 1:100 so my 5 litres will make around 500 litres of 'ready to use'.

Glyphosate is systemic, which means that you don't see any effect for at least a week but after a few weeks, the plants are dead, root and all. Just be careful with overspray as it's not selective. You also need a dry day (if it rains within around six hours the glyphosate will be washed off).

• 1 month later...

Pampas can be dug out relatively easily. All you have to do is work your way into it bit by bit with a spade. Dig underneath first and then just chop into the thatch. No need for expensive poisons.

May I recommend a Carex secta to replace it. It grows more daintily than the coarse pampas and has long, drooping flower panicles.

In this photo, the plant on the left is a Carex secta. I can let you have seed if you want some:

IMG_3546_zpskm33mqye.jpg