Its noticeable shopkeepers licking their fingers to open plastic bags, why don't they wear rubber thinbles similar to the ones for counting notes.

This happened to me at the Apollo Fish Bar on Highbury Vale a couple of years ago when I refused my order after the assistant licked his fingers while wrapping my chips. No thanks.

A damp sponge is better.

What's the point of them even wearing rubber gloves when they are handling grubby coins.

It's like washing your hands after using the toilets when you're out, then you have to touch the dirty door handle.

I invariably use my sleeve, hanky or my little finger.

What annoys me about shopkeepers, counterstaff etc. is when you come to be served after queuing they say, 'Thank you for waiting'. I suppose they're told to say it but what are you expected to do, apart from walk away?

We used to run a shop, customers used to complain about me because I would'nt gossip with them about other people.......I was always nice to people, but there were always the trouble makers, some people were downright rude and thought they had the right to be because they shopped with you..........

There's a balance of course, sales assistants need to be personable and chatty whilst aware of waiting customers. In Halfords last Sunday, the one till operator was giving brilliant service to a customer asking questions about a roof-rack, whilst totally oblivious to the four of us standing waiting to pay for items. It took a tactful interruption on my part to get us noticed.

In contrast, I find most of the lady till operators in Morrisons at Gamston get the balance just right. It's all down to training and the quality of management.

• Upvote 1

My husband always says "Oakham, where they choke 'em and Langham where they hang 'em"

In days gone by everyone knew their local shopkeepers by name. Down our street in the 50s there was Mr Stevie Lucas the greengrocer and Mr Williams the grocer. They were in a row of shops, the owners of which I used to know by name. Alas, time has taken its toll on the old memory and I can no longer recall the others by name. I can however, remember that the end shop was a newsagents and the next an electrical shop.