Battle of Britain flypast

Wow, how lucky am I, it started 20 mins ago when 3 Spits in formation nearly took my roof off, 3 more then did a low level turn over the house, now the Blenheim with 4 Spits in formation have just roared overhead, I'm in tears, it's so emotional to be part of this, I'm out in the garden to see what happens next, haven't changed out of my B&Q uniform yet!!!

• Upvote 3

Cor, I'm really jealous firbeck. It must have been a spectacular sight. Thanks for the link Cliff Ton, I'll try and catch the programme later.

Makes 2 of us Gibbo, I don't suppose you had a camera ready Firbeck?

Are there any other Nottstalgians who remember the 1st. B of B day in 1945? As a Thank You to the RAF all airfields were opened to the public. 3 of us decided to walk to Newton airfield and had a very enjoyable time with the resident Poles showing us over the mostly 'trainers' that were available. Suddenly a DH Mosquito screamed overhead flat out, did a circuit, landed & taxied round and parked up nearby, the 2 man crew dropped out and walked away! Of course everyone clustered round, smelling the hot engines & patting the tyres when 3 other teenagers reached up and pulled themselves into the cockpit. No one seemed bothered so when they dropped out we climbed in, a tight fit for 3 so we don't know who pushed the button that released the 2 auxiliary wing fuel tanks! Oops, a hasty exit and then an embarrassing wait on the tarmac expecting to be marched off to the guard room when over the tannoy came the instruction"will all civillain personnel Please leave the airfield". It was late afternoon so time for a very quick exit across the grass onto the back road into Radcliffe with quite an experience firmly fixed in our minds but our mouths shut!

• Upvote 7

Fantastic memories Albert, I recall seeing 4 Mossies doing a flypast at Cottesmore at their B o B airshow circa 1960. Following my posting, the odd Spitfire came flying overhead well into the evening

What upsets me is the lack of interest in this topic, I've come to the conclusion that most people seem to be more interested in word association crap etc and can't be arsed to post anything imagin

ative or creative anymore.

To be honest, I haven't any enthusiasm for this forum anymore.

Whilst gardening today I had my Dad's RAF on,it's getting on a bit..but I wore it with pride. SS Great Britain would have been an unimaginable nightmare to live in!! Saluting those air crews who suffered so we can live in freedom and without fear.

With reference to the above it brings back memories of a wonderful English gentleman who I knew quite well. Air Vice Marshal Eric Stephenson.

During World War II, his pursuit of all three almost came to an abrupt end twice, depending first on the lucky flip of a coin and, later on, through surviving the experience of being shot down over Germany in a Lancaster bomber. His return from captivity at the end of the war allowed him to pick up where he left off with fiancée Freda, and saw him become a country doctor in Norfolk.

In 1955 he also resumed wearing Air Force blue, only this time in Australia.

Eric was a navigator who survived the war after jumping out of his Lancaster.

Reminds me of the almost 50 % mortality rate in Bomber Command aircrew.

When you look at Britain today you wonder why they did it.

• Upvote 2

Firbeck, it's not that people aren't interested in the topic, it's maybe because what you saw today was nowhere near Nottingham, and folk couldn't see it for themselves. There has been much interest shown recently when wartime aircraft flew over Notts.

I for one , like Ian and Stan greatly appreciate what the pilots and crew did for us during the war. Without their supreme efforts , total disregard for the inevitable consequences and in many cases, the ultimate sacrifice, we would not be here today.

As for your comment on word games, people find it as a form of relaxation and a bit of harmless fun, and it keeps some of us oldies alert.

As I've stated in previous topics to a couple of other members. If it doesn't interest you, then don't read it.

There are topics on here that I've no interest in whatsoever. Diabetes, pedometers and suchlike, and as for the jokes topic, yesterday was the first time I'd looked in for months. It's people's personal choice and please don't denigrate them.

• Upvote 8

Exactly Ian, women, cars, food, drink, music.... God help us if we were all of a like mind. Wouldn't life be boring.

Freedom of choice...... We've still got it haven't we ????

Point taken Ian. I'll take that as a NO then !

Actually, I don't even have freedom of choice in my own home, but we won't go there.LOL

If it's in The Mail, then it must be true. That's great.

Grasp every last second of freedom of speech and thought before we end up as re programmed robots that can be totally manipulated.

Well pleased you got to see those fantastic aircraft Pete, as you know I get to see the Spits and Hurricanes most weeks from where I work but to see them en mass liike that must have been a once in a lifetime thrill and the sound must have been awesome, good on yer mate

Rog

• Upvote 2

We sometimes get the odd Spitfire flying over us - something to do with Rolls Royce, I think. But the sight and sound of the mass flight must have been wonderful and it`s good to read the posts of members who have experiences like that to share.

Those of us who don`t have dramatic and interesting events and memories read and 'like' those of other members and that`s great.

Guess that`s one of the definitions of a community I suppose. Members with exciting things to communicate share with the more mundane of us who just enjoy the site and play the word games.

hellothere

• Upvote 5

Those of us who don`t have dramatic and interesting events and memories read and 'like' those of other members and that`s great.

Guess that`s one of the definitions of a community I suppose. Members with exciting things to communicate share with the more mundane of us who just enjoy the site and play the word games.

I totally agree Eileen.

I think everyone should also remember that one person's "exciting" is another person's "boring" and vice versa.

• Upvote 2

However I will tell you about the greatest event I ever witnessed. In 1958/9 at the height of the cold war I saw on several occasions both squadrons of Vulcan`s scramble one after the other (617 first.) To see one vulcan take off is awe inspiring but to see the whole 2 squadrons take off IN PAIRS was the most inspiring event I had witnessed of these aircraft. The noise was thunderous. You do not realise how momentous these events are,at the time.

• Upvote 2

And for enthusiasts (if there are any) History:

Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Eastleigh, July 22, 1947.
- Loaned.
US Embassy, Civil Air Attache, Hendon, UK, January 27, 1948.
- Registered as NC74138.
Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Eastleigh, 1949.
Shuttleworth Trust, Old Warden, 1950-1983.
- Static display, 1950-1975.
- Moved to Duxford for rebuild to fly, August 30, 1975.
Roland Fraissinet, Marseilles, France, April 14, 1983.
Roland Fraissinet, East Midlands Airport, UK, June 6, 1983-1987.
- Registered as G-PRXI.
- Rebuild complete.
- First flight, East Midlands, July 18, 1984.
Doug Arnold/Warbirds of GB Ltd, Biggin Hill, October 1, 1987-1992.
David Arnold/Flying A Services, North Weald, 1992-1999.
- WFU, stored dismantled, 1992-1998.
Juston V. Fleming, Goudhurst, Kent, 1999-2001.
- First flight, June 8, 2000 as PL983/JV-F.
- Crashed during airshow, Rouens, France, June 4, 2001.
-- Pilot Martin Sergeant fatally injured.

I don't know much about aircraft, but I am fascinated by Warships, probably because my dad was a Navy man. He served on the London in the war and he would tell us a few tales, nothing to in depth though, but enough to give me a lifelong fascination about the Ships and the sea.

A memory I have as a child in the 1950s whilst playing on the Cricket field Burton Road Carlton, the thundering noise as the Vulcan's passed over the skies. I still remember so well watching them fly past, I love the Vulcans and the Lancaster most of all.

After we had visited The Armed Forces Day at Nottingham 2013, we drove to Gunthorpe and sat by the river. Some thing special happened that day that I will never forget. We heard the sound of aircraft approaching and as we looked down the river, coming towards us, seemingly very low down was a Lancaster flanked by a Spitfire one side and a Hurricane the other side. Probably returning to base from the Show. Fabulous, It was like having our own personal display.

• Upvote 6