Market Square 1959 - Who was here?

I was there! It was brilliant. I remember the team on the balcony waving, including the one with a broken leg -

(woss-is-name? My memory gets worse!)

There were people climbing the lamp posts to get a better view!

I remember I was at Wembley for the England hockey match (school trip) listening to the semi final on my trannie. When the announcer said that Forest were in the final a great cheer went up from our part of the ground - to the bemusement of others who hadn`t seen anything happening on the field.

Stood with my dad on the island middle of Alfreton Rd and Gregory Boulevard, remember seeing the cup, could not believe the excitement, only 14 years old, fantastic.Roy Dwight, scoring then breaking leg, tommy scored, brilliant, bad luck day for Luton Town

I was also there,great day,.....sadly only one survivor today,........5 Englishmen in team.......only one almost local...........can you put names?

Not the team Terry, TUT,..........the 5 Englishmen,the one survivor,and the one nearly local,......bleddy hell,...lol.

Terrance, #3.thats where I stood. I lived on Bridlington St at the time.

Apart from Whitefoot being only survivor correct,...but still Tut,Tut,Barrett and Palmer not in team.....so who was almost local and who were the 5 English? come on Terry.

5 Scots............and Tommy Wilson grew up in Bulwell/Bestwood and worked at Cinderhill pit,i was at school with his cousin.but was born up north.

Tommy that is,not me.

• Upvote 1

Thats the man TBI,..........Met him when the ex wife had her 21st at his Pub up Redhill,............and yes Bulwell is very Northern.....lol.

Forest have had a few Channell Islanders over the years,.....remember Flip le flem,Geoff Vowden and i think the Farmer Brothers Bill the keeper,and Ron a good wing half.

• Upvote 1

Righto, quite a few then benjamin, I only knew of Le Flem.

As regards 1959, we didn't get to the Square, me and dad waited on Queens Drive with the crowds and watched the bus come down there from the station. I remember he wrote a poem about the win, which appeared in the Evening Post letters. My mam's still got the cut-out somewhere I think.

I'd climbed up a tree on the far right of the photograph. While I was up there I met a boy from Wollaton I think it was... Went out with him once after that I seem to remember. His name was somebody Hall I think (Ian maybe??)

He was already up the tree when I arrived and I thought he looked nice, so I decided to join him up there. ....for a better view of the returning team as well!

• Upvote 1