Jonah Lomu..... RIP.

Rugby Union legend Jonah Lomu has died suddenly. The first RU global superstar. RIP.

I have a rather nice story vaguely involving Jonah Lomu.

In 1998 one of my sons was still at school and playing in the 1st XV rugby team alongside his best friend who was a boarder at the school but whose home was in the Bahamas. When the school year (and their schooling days) finished that summer, David, the friend, went back to the Bahamas before starting University. He decided to go and train with the Bahamas national rugby team just to keep his fitness up but was immediately drafted into the squad that was going to the Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur a few weeks later. He sent us a postcard which he wrote just before taking the field in their match against NZ, and Jonah Lomu. NZ obviously won but what a fantastic memory David will keep ....... School team and then playing against the great man, all in the same year! Such a loss to the rugby world.

• Upvote 1

I am a big rugby fan, as much as I am a fan of Nottinghamshire cricket.

The big fella died of kidney problems.

I recall with much dismay, Lomu smashing down the left wing of the England side with England players bouncing off him. A few minutes later, he did it again. Then again. Despite my despair for England, I realised that I had seen a display of rugby that is truly of legend. I have not seen anything like it before or since. The best there has ever been.

His demeanor could hardly be believed with his total aggression on the field. He was a total gentleman.

RIP a true rugby legend.

• Upvote 1