Coal Mining R.I.P.

Never looked at the face Mary, just quoted me number and eyes were on the amber packet that were pushed over. All £4/6s/5d of it. Then straight round to the canteen.

• Like 1
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Typical shift, pack me snap, throw it in me snap bag, "see yer later Mam" Off out onto Kirke-White Street, get me a fag out of the packet, light it and cross Arkwright Street, ontowards Queens Drive,

I worked at Newstead and Annesley pits , 22 years in total. The job was hard and dangerous but it made you figure out any way to make it easier . The danger element taught you to be conscientious a

Strip away the sentiment and it was a wretched existence for men down the pit too. Pit closures were always going to happen. The way it happened was far too swift, it was far too brutal but it was in

Thanks for answer Big Ears  

Love Noddy

@Beekay: The pony was only showing you who was in charge.

Does your safety lamp still work? Might need it if we have power cuts.

Has it been decorated with flowers?

It could have been worse. Before safety lamps, some brave soul would crawl along the floor with a lighted candle on the end of a long stick. Once an explosion had occurred he had to get up quick to avoid some residual gas before it suffocated him. (Sadly I don’t remember the correct terminology.)

Wonder what the life expectancy was for this job.

Life expectancy for checking for 'Firedamp' (Methane) would be a out twenty seconds.

Crawling on hands and knees with a lit candle, crikey ! how old do you think I am?

Although there was one occasion when I had to take some props into a coal face, and that required hands and knees, whilst dragging the prop behind me, (the hydraulic type).

As for me lamp, it no longer works so I'm thinking of putting in a little L.E.D ,battery operated. Might let Plantfit to do that. He's good at fixing lamps and stuff.

The pony, no, he wasn't in charge, the little 'bar steward' was just cantankerous.