old streets of nottingham

ayup Nottingham folk happy new year , I'm a Leicester lad doing my family tree found a couple of greats come from Nottingham in 1875, but I'm stuck got a marriage cert with 2 street names on and cant find them anywhere they look like a Cresland st & a Croxland st any help would be greatly received cheers

Welcome to Nottstalgia

The closest match which might be your location is Crosland Place which was in the Narrow Marsh area, but was demolished many years ago.

If you have any more clues or information, we might come up with a better result.

• Upvote 1

the main name on my tree is Lowe ,I've got back to John Lowe who when he married in 1875 was living in Crosland St his wife was to but no numbers, on the marriage cert his Dad was Charles Lowe, in the 1881 census his wife Elizabeth Marston was at her Dads in Stanton on the Wolds stating she was married but John wasn't there ,on his sons wedding cert 1897 John was deceased ,I've had a look on ancestry at Crosland St 71/81 census but no Lowes only a Lowes yard , just cant get a positive connection of John & his whereabouts

A view of things in the early 20th c. The road shown here as Leen Side is the present day Canal Street. And Red Lion Street is the present day Cliff Road. Crosland Place and Lowe's place are also shown.

crosland.jpg

And this is Crosland Place in 1919, looking towards Red Lion Street.

crosland_1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Some birth dates would have helped .

Can't see a Lowe / Marston marriage but there is a Lowe /Mason marriage in Nottingham .Her first name was Ellen at time of marriage to John Herbert Lowe

There is an Elizabeth Lowe born Hickling 1858 at her

parents in Stanton On Wolds in 1881 . Are Ellen and Elizabeth the same person ?

Earlier in 1871 I can see a John Lowe b 1856 with his parents Charles b 1833 and Charlotte b 1835 at Rawcliffe St . St Peters .Looks like parents born Mansfield .

Also in 1894 living at 136 London Road is a John Herbert Lowe described as a traveller . Could of course be some other John Herbert Lowe .

• Upvote 1

There seem to be two John Herbert Lowes around at the same time

There is a news report of an infant death to an Ellen Birkin and John Herbert Lowe in Sept 1877 at Queens Walk .

In 1919 there is a family announcement of the death of a John Herbert Lowe of Talbot St ., son of Henry Lowe .

• Upvote 1

There's an 1875 marriage in Nottm of a John Lowe to possibly an Elizabeth Marson in Dec q 1875. Is this the right marriage? Do you have age of John and Eliz at the time of their marriage? Have you found both of them pre 1871?

• Upvote 1

thanks for all the reply's , I have the marridge cert of John 25yrs & Elizabeth marson 21yrs 1875 living at Crosland st when married & Johns Dad Charles was deceased .in my tree I have them living 81 census Marsons (looks like they droped the T) Stanton in the Wolds (seems John was possibly at work not at this address) 71 census its Marstons living in Kinoulton 61 census Marstons living in Hinkling (the names all fit could be wrong) . got there sons Birth cert Charles Thomas Lowe born 1877 Notts ,also Daughter Emily 1880 , I have Charles marridge cert with John as deceased ,died between 1880/1897 ,cant find them on the 91 census , cant find John on the 71 census , think ill send for Emilys birth cert see where they were living in 1880 might help ,

John Lowe born 1850 seems hard to find on any Census .

There is a news report in the NEP Sept 1877 of a "navvy" called John Lowe at Stanton On The Wolds being admitted to General Hospital with "severe compound of the leg" after being crushed between 2 wagons whilst in the street .

If he was a navvy may explain why he wasn't with Elizabeth in 1881 (assuming he survived his accident !)

• Upvote 1

just says John was a labourer and nothing for Elizabeth ,on Johns sons birth cert it states John was a Railway labourer registered 25/5/1877 Stanton in Wolds tunnnel?? would that tie in with navvy & Stanton & John Lowe looks very promising , great import thanks

• 3 weeks later...

John Lowe born 1850 seems hard to find on any Census .

There is a news report in the NEP Sept 1877 of a "navvy" called John Lowe at Stanton On The Wolds being admitted to General Hospital with "severe compound of the leg" after being crushed between 2 wagons whilst in the street .

If he was a navvy may explain why he wasn't with Elizabeth in 1881 (assuming he survived his accident !)

hello, been trying to get this news report up but the British newspaper archive don't seem to have it they start in 1878 just my luck ,wanted to know if there was more info on the report ?

Nope thats it , the only thing I missed out was the word "fracture" as in "severe compound fracture of the leg" . It was actually in the Nottinghamshire Guardian Sept 14th 1877.

• Upvote 1

It may be nothing to do with what you are looking for but,I used to be a carer for a lady named Helen Marson ,she had one son Tony.Helen died a few years ago aged about 94 .She told me her mother got run over by a horse and cart ,I think on Mansfield road but not sure about this.

It may be nothing to do with what you are looking for but,I used to be a carer for a lady named Helen Marson ,she had one son Tony.Helen died a few years ago aged about 94 .She told me her mother got run over by a horse and cart ,I think on Mansfield road but not sure about this.

anythings better than note , ill look into it cheers