Here is a scan of Nottingham's entry in the 1912 Michelin Guide to the British Isles - and for ease of viewing I have blanked out the previous and next towns' entries. This includes a map of the City Centre - and the main exiit routes out of the city, in the days before one way streets, pedestrian zones, traffic lights etc.

The scan also includes details of recommended hotels (see my other post 'Hotels for Motorists in 1912' in General Chat about Nottingham) and garages.

Michelin002_zpscvchmi5g.jpg

Michelin003_zps0w0sfldt.jpg

• Upvote 8

Any ideas on the abbreviations in the hotels ? They all have the same list with different prices. For example at the Flying Horse

pb ; 2/-

mb : 2/6

L : 2/6

D : 3/6

R : 4/-

Chfr : 7/6

I guess L is probably Lunch and D is Dinner, but I’m stuck for the others.

#9 Think that's now the entrance/exit to Flying horse parade,........some nice shops and Art retailers.....did a bit of work there for Vivienne Westwood........

An article in the Irish Independent newspaper (which I found by Googling - http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/promenading-and-servants-how-the-rich-lived-in-1916-31118422.html)says of hotels in 1916:

"They would bring their servants with them too when they went to visit the city. Hotels like The Shelbourne and The Metropole had a servants' wing so help was always on hand. The servants would eat in the separate quarters in the hotel."

I guess the same woyld apply in England in 1912.

#9 Think that's now the entrance/exit to Flying horse parade,........some nice shops and Art retailers.....did a bit of work there for Vivienne Westwood........

That's the place. So you are now effectively walking through the old garage.

And looking at the scene from the other angle - the garage is on the extreme right - with the Eight Bells pub on the corner of Peck Lane.

st%20peters%202_zpsxgwpu5lr.jpg

• Upvote 1

The upstairs storerooms etc of the shops in flying horse parade,which i presume were part of the hotel,i found fascinating,looking out of the windows i saw and felt i'd gone back 100 years,all you could see were the tops and backsides of old buildings,bits and bobs of old Nottingham...............

Late 50's I reckon, or very early 60's. My dad reckoned it to be one of the roughest pubs in town.