• 2 weeks later...

Our waste paper bin got emptied today but they never came for the garden waste bin, typical Nottm City Council, more interested in that wretched tram & diversity !

• Like 1

Youre lucky to have bin men. All our plastic goes in plastic bags and is collected every 2 weeks. The paper goes into a yellow box and that is collected every 2 weeks. You can image as we get through at least 6 litres of water every  day the amount of plastic we have is enormous even though we squash the bottles.

2 hours ago, catfan said:

Our waste paper bin got emptied today but they never came for the garden waste bin, typical Nottm City Council, more interested in that wretched tram & diversity !

Nottingham City Council have been awarded the ‘jobsworth cap’ this week then Catfan.  We have two garden bins (paid extra for the second one) and both were condemned this week, we think because there was a small piece of sawn wood in each bin.  Drives us mad.  

• Like 1

If its untreated wood Lizzie then that's OK it says timber shavings, hedge clippings etc on the lid. Treated/painted wood is different it can ruin the compost.

Had a good one last year when the bin man left a sticker on the bin because there was a tomato in it and we are not allowed food or kitchen waste. I phoned up the council and told them that as a gardener I would come down and teach their men about composting for a fee of course, then phoned my councillor and told him the same, they came back the next day and emptied my bin.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Our  Binmen are a complete & utter waste of time !

Complained many times to managers at Eastcroft & 2 local Councillors & still bins get missed. Not good enough.

Every day when the binmen clock on it's do as you like time !

• Like 1
16 hours ago, catfan said:

Ours are every two weeks also !

I suppose everyones bins are emptied every 2 weeks but what gets me,  not so much for the paper but the plastic and tins , after a while they begin to smell even in the winter you can imagine in the summer with temperatures up to 30+ The tins are always washed out but it doesnt alter the fact . We also have ( at the moment) 8 cats with at least 2  are pregnant so during the night if the rubbish is left outside we have to collect it all back again or else the bin men leave it.

We are in the country so remnants also attract  vermin. 

• Like 1

Ian we have to travel into the centre of the village to drop bottles off. I hasten to add that the cats are strays that our next door neighbours feed. They do keep mice down though.They come in useful when they cut the corn and grain down though as the mice scamper everywhere. I have vases and tubs of  flowers outside my front door and the cats have started sleeping in them and crushing them. I put smaller plant pots around the bigger ones and a wrough ironplant holder inthe centre of another one and then stuck unlit incense sticks all round. I dont buy plants for the cats to sleep in.

• Like 1

Well ours are superb. Invariably on time, always the correct bin left on the drive and courteous too.

There's also an old guy, an ex council worker,  who lives somewhere behind me who comes down the road after the bin men have been, and with his litter picker, and a big bag, clears up any litter that may have been dropped, and any other rubbish he finds too. Good of him I say.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I once had a row with my bro in laws wife about litter. One day I drove past their house, just as she kicked a flattened water bottle off their drive, and onto the pavement. I later mentioned the incident to her, and she commented that it wasn't their litter. I reminded her that anything that is on their property is their responsibility, and that if they weren't part of the solution of litter, then they were part of the problem. Yes another family argument ensued. 

I always remove any litter on the pavement or in the gutter in front of my house. We should ALL be responsible !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I totally agree with you FLY. We arrived home from the seaside this afternoon to find an empty pizza box, a half eaten tub of ice cream, two almost full bottles of water and a REAL spoon strewn on the pavement outside our gate.   I picked it all up and put in our bin.  I then walked down the road to the shops and the pavements were a disgrace. If everyone took responsibility for their own patch and not decide it’s someone else’s responsibility then our neighbourhoods would be much cleaner.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I do agree with you both and regularly litter pick out side mine, but I do have some sympathy with the folks who complain about the council not fulfilling their responsibilities. Especially when they spend more of our money advertising about our proud they are of our 'clean' city than actually getting the job done.

The litter picking crew are regularly on Hucknall Rd, and do a commendable job, but sorry to say, it's in a shabby state the next day. 

People MUST be held responsible for their own actions !

Or worse !