The Way We Were? - Sneinton

I found this video whilst I was checking out some old adverts. Not sure what the ciggies are that are being smoked in The Peggers Inn, sure don't look like Parkies to me. At the very end of the video we get to go in The Marketside, a pub that we used to visit with Mam and her sisters, had some good sing songs and laughs in there. Have a look, you might see some faces from the past.

• Upvote 3

Recognise a few off the Dale Carni,but most in the Robert Clifton were St.Anns.

Wiff,a market trader looked familiar- in '79 I went to an 18th in a squash court in Vic Leisure Centre....was a tad boring..strolled over to that boozer/two old guys had converted wardrobes into huge speakers.

Found real reggae that night and ever since!

Also most that supped in the Market Side..were barred from The Madhouse!

Superb that Carni 24 years later looks like the regeneration program failed?

On the same vain when I a kid I would have a day out with my uncle Sid he had a run to Smithfield wholesale market, while in London last wekend I nipped over show Mrs Red.

Sorry its nothing to do with Nottingham but neither is keep one drop one?

P1120992_zpsmoy5jwgm.jpg

P1120991_zpsfcrvx6i7.jpg

Here is another video with lots of old streets to fathom out the names of and were they are, were. The opening part is my favorite area from my childhood, around Alfred St North. I never tire of these images.

It is a shame that there are no titles, but at the same time it is interesting trying to guess the area before it moves on to the next image. Most of the pics we have seen before, but it's worth mashing a pot of tea and breaking out with the custard creams for 15mins. Enjoy yer sens.

• Upvote 2

#9. Timing 1.07 is interesting as it shows surface air-raid shelters. You don't often, if ever, see pictures of these. There was one outside the house I lived in during the war in Cheltenham Street, Old Basford, and the playgrounds at the Crane schools had them.Presumably all of the schools had them.

It doesn't look as if they would offer much protection. Still anything would be better than nothing. I have often wondered if people used their cellars as shelters. I know my G-Parents had a cellar on Vicarage St?

My father remembered using the cellar of their house in Chapel Street, Beeston during air raids. During the so called phoney war period, the siren sounded and my grandmother, who detested being disturbed from her sleep, would stomp down the stairs with her Spirella corsets over her arm (!) cursing the Germans and averring they were a nation of square headed people minus fathers!

After a few weeks of this unnecessary disturbance, she ignored the sirens and remained in bed!

I note that Le Grand on Alfreton Road has also been turned into a mosque. My maternal grandfather used this as a watering hole, as did many of his friends.

My maternal grandmother hated the place and, apparently, described the ale they sold (Mitchell & Butler"s) as 'loony beer'!

If she is still taking an interest in the fortunes of Alfreton Road, she will be delighted to see that intoxicating beverages are no longer served within its walls.

Jill, We kept a Mitchell and Butlers Beer Off here in West Mids from 1973 to 1982. Of course we had to sample the stock to make sure it was OK for the customers. slywink Loony Beer you say. That explains things! lol smile2

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 8:14 AM, carni said:

It doesn't look as if they would offer much protection. Still anything would be better than nothing. I have often wondered if people used their cellars as shelters. I know my G-Parents had a cellar on Vicarage St?

The answer to the cellar question is yes Carni a lot of them were reinforced with steel work and wriggly tin, wouldn't stop a direct hit but as you say better than nothing.

I always understood that the reason air raid shelters were a bit flimsy is because they were never intended to protect you from a direct hit.

Most civilian deaths in bombing raids were caused by people being crushed in collapsing buildings. The idea was that you got out of your house which might collapse on you, and get in something which was much more lightweight and if it did collapse on you, you'd hardly feel it.

So if you were in a Morrison shelter, i.e. under your kitchen table, and your home suffered a direct hit, you'd be crushed firstly by the weight of the kitchen table with the added weight of the house on top of it. I've never understood the logic of Morrison shelters.

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

So if you were in a Morrison shelter, i.e. under your kitchen table, and your home suffered a direct hit, you'd be crushed firstly by the weight of the kitchen table with the added weight of the house on top of it. I've never understood the logic of Morrison shelters.

I don't think it was meant to protect from a direct hit, but from lesser damage caused by a bomb falling nearby.