Sign in to follow this  
AfferGorritt

Standhill Brickworks

Hi,

Anybody got any historical info on the land between Standhill Road and Foxhill Road? On the 1937 map the Standill Road end showsStandhill Brickworks (disused). Wondered whether the brickworks extended all the way down to Foxhill.

Cheers!

This is from around 1900 when the Brickworks were still operating. Looks to have been a fairly small operation, with a much bigger site across the road at Thorneywood.

standhill_zpswfvgledc.jpg

I have mentioned this before somewhere but we lived on Cherrywood Gds and were right on the edge of the steep embankment overlooking whats marked as "Thorneywood Brick Works" on the map .Whats marked as F.P. would roughly.be where Cherrywood is today . As far as I know the twitchell between the houses at the end of the footpath onto Standhill is still there , as on the map .

In the old days ,the footpath was the main walking route from St Anns Well Rd to Gedling via the Donkey steps.

I don't know if the park on Standhill is still there but this looks roughly where" Standhill Brick Works" appears on the map

I hadn't thought of that, but the park (which seems to be officially called King George V Recreation Ground) is still there and is presumably the site of the former brick works. That would explain its shape and layout.

• Upvote 1

In between being King George V park and being a brickworks , it was a tip !

This from 1939 :

28976183041_b9b3bd1f8c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A photo also from 1939 prior to opening . Can't say I recognise it from this angle .28431898174_a5e4e5b6bc_b.jpg

The building on the right in the newspaper looks like the kind of place you might find in a park; if it's survived, it could be this today. The amount of vegetation has obviously changed a bit over time. And Standhill Road is on the right.

stand_zpsavlohnwk.jpg

This thread is fascinating.  I’ve lived on the Foxhill Road side of the park for just under two years now and have been curious about the origins of Standhill/KGV park.  The deeds to our house refer to the land on which our house is built being originally part of the Foxhill Garden Estate, a network of allotments that I think cross-crossed the area encompassing Ernest Road, Burton Avenue, Highfield Drive, Standhill Avenue, Third Avenue and Fourth Avenue.  It might explain why the majority of the houses and bungalows in this area are individually designed as land was potentially sold off as individual plots rather than in a bulk to a developer.  That having been said, I think Prospect Road must have been created by a developer as the majority of the properties are uniform in design.