What was this site in Gedling / Carlton

I've occasionally been past here for 20+ years and I always wonder what this site used to be. It's at the junction of Conway Road / Burton Road; it's always been empty and overgrown with weeds, but there's tarmac / concrete in amongst it, so I assume there was once something built there. It's been in this condition since at least the 1980s.  

penny_zpsiaa8rkyz.jpg

And if you want to see it on Streetview - https://goo.gl/maps/mzhApXYxY9K2

It wasn't part of the roadway, then a bend was taken out, or are there definite signs of something previously erected there ?

Must have been a long time ago.  I lived just down the way from there on Willow Rd.  I used to walk past there almost everyday from the early to mid 60s.  I never saw any kind of structure there.

If it's where I think it is, we used to walk across that piece of ground on our way to the "Cricket Field" in the 1950s. I can't remember any buildings there, but I,m sure there was three Almond Trees along one side and  I do remember playing in the dyke which ran along side the "Royal Oak " pub, and continued under the road and ran down the side of the allotments on Brooklands Drive. 

Not sure whether they were Almond or some other nut tree?

Sort of answered my own question - in a way - and I don't know why I didn't look at old maps before I started it all. This is the area in the mid-50s and the place is labelled "Car Park" - although I can't see why one was needed there.

gedling_zpswkclbfeb.jpg

Before the loop road appeared in the 80s,  all the traffic coming from Burton Joyce would go towards Nottm past the bottom of Shearing HIll, then curve round past the front of the Inn for a Penny. Conway Road joins it to the right of my arrow. So FLY's suggestion about road realignment was part of the answer.

• Upvote 3

Must have driven or rode my bike past there many times and never ever noticed that spot before !  spent many an hour in the Inn for a Penny though.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...