Chaucer Street and Eye Tests.

Inspired by the 'School Dentists' thread.  I remember going to the school dentists and hating it, but all I recall is it was in town.  I suppose it probably was Chaucer Street.

However, I've worn glasses since I was 5 and made much more frequent trips to Chaucer Street for eye tests. This place looks a lot like what I remember, but I can't be sure. Midland Institute for the Blind?  Makes some sort of sense I suppose.It was certainly accessed straight off the pavement and there was a waiting room on the right.  On the other hand, whenever I think back to that time 'The Ropewalk' also seems to come to mind.  I think I'm losing the plot. Maybe I went to two places and have merged them in my mind.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9571191,-1.1565841,3a,76.9y,343.32h,99.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2_9HpWAKazdNbhbN-8a0YQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

While I was still in Primary School I often had to go to Chaucer Street for tests and most times they would stick the old Atropine or whatever drops into my eyes and then make me sit waiting with eyes closed for 20 minutes while it took effect. I don't believe they had any idea how long twenty minutes is to a child..!!

I'd always end up with severely blurred vision for hours afterwards but Mum would make me go back to school which I hated because I couldn't see anything on the board and couldn't see to write.  I always imagined the teacher didn't really understand.

Sometimes, they'd sit me in front of a machine where I looked through a sort of binocular thing, at cartoon pictures.  As I recall I had to bring them into focus, or make two images merge into one or something.

At one point I was going to this place every Friday afternoon for what seemed like months on end.  I must have been older because I recall going alone, on the 28 to Trinity Square and walking from there. I always got some sweets on the way back.  Usually Opal Fruits.

At one point there was talk of me having an operation to correct a squint.  Something to do with tightening up muscles behind the eye.  It didn't sound pleasant, but mercifully they decided against it because I would still have needed glasses as I am very long sighted.

Did anyone else have similar experiences?

Col

• Upvote 1

I never had any problems with my eyes until I got into my mid forties when I found I needed reading glasses.  Since then, things have gone steadily downhill.... I had a cataract op in one eye about 16 years ago (very successful) but now have age related macular degeneration in both eyes.  I have several small blind spots but, as yet, it is manageable.  My mum had the same and was registered blind in her late eighties.... I've got a way to go yet!!  

Eyes are so precious - just looking out of the window now, the garden looks beautiful with all the autumn colours..... 

• Upvote 1

Neither myself, hubby or 2 youngest kids have ever needed glasses, but eldest son needed them from age 11. Kind of strange where that came from. He wore them till about 10 yrs ago, when he had Implantable Contact Lens put in both eyes.

#1 I have spent (literally) months in that place! Seriously short sighted as a child and wore thick glasses since age 5. Had about a dozen eye ops, mostly detached retinas. One eye was damaged due to 2 bodged ops when I was 28 at Nottm. 6 weeks in bed then two more weeks. Then I was sent from Nottm to Moorfields in London who fixed me in 5 days but some damage was irreparable..I have since had the cateract damaged lenses replaced with plastic and can see better now than at any time in my life, although the damage from those Nottingham ops has reduced sight in one eye to 30%. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds grim PP!  I feel for you.

I don't really think about glasses. I've worn them for so long.  Just put 'em on when I wake up and take 'em off when I go to sleep.  I did try to get new ones a few months back but ended up returning them as I couldn't get on with the change in prescription.  Actually I reckon my eyesight isn't bad with specs, but without them I wouldn't be able to read or drive now.  My wife wears glasses and contacts.  One of my daughters has never needed specs, the other is registered blind, but does still have useful vision. She is already developing cataracts, at 36.

Col

DJ360 - I used to visit Chaucer Street for the same reason as well, after Miss Woods found I couldn't see the blackboard (I mean the writing on it!) at Blue Bell Hill School when I was 10.

I can't remember if it was every 6 months or so, and of course the reason for the drops (my mother used to say it was belladonna, which I suppose is the same as atropine) was to enlarge the pupils so the doctor could peer into your eyes. I remember he always used to advise eating plenty of cheese - well I did, but I never was able to cease wearing glasses!

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Sounds grim PP!  I feel for you.

Sounds worse than it seems Col.

Never stopped me living life to the full and I can now drive legally without glasses. Fortunately the damaged eye has good peripheral vision and I can read some letter on the bottom line at the opto's with the other. So OK for driving and outdoor activities. Wear glasses for reading but tend to keep them on after a lifetime with something perched on my nose. Considered a monocle but everyone thinks I'm daft enough already. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1