Moving From South East to Nottingham

Hello,

I'm thinking about moving from South East of England to Nottingham. The south east has become to expensive and there is no reasonable way of justifying living there when i can't afford to buy my place around there. I' ve been looking for a place not too far and it seems Nottingham fits the location where this are moderately cheap but i have not lived there before. It sound crazy that i want to move to a place where i don't know anyone but i would rather move my family to a place i know i can afford to survive.

i was wondering if anyone give me good information about Nottingham. I'll like to know the job situation around that area

Good areas to relocate too or buy? I've read about rough places like St Anne, Bullwell but i don't know how true it is. I have two kids and would like to stay in a family oriented area where kids can play safe.

IT Jobs around . I'm currently work in IT. Are there jobs to go around there?

Moving around. how is the traffic there?

Areas to stay away from

places to take family to

I'll like to know the goods and bad of Nottingham. Any information will be appreciated. i just need to know the positives and negatives before making a decision.

Thank in advance

Nowt wrong with Bulwell Skywalker!

Depends on budget,kids needs etc..City Centre is relatively small and fairly pedestrianised.. loads of great suburbs which have shopping/school/employment etc...

Carlton,Arnold,West Bridgford are very good..have a "gleg" at Bulwell..some decent places... 

Welcome skywalker

I am a Nottingham person though and though have also lived abroad but always returned to my roots.

Born in Old St Ann's don't know what all the fuss was about, New St Ann's can't say as after getting married went to live in Arnold. Good shopping centre, good schools, not far from the city. Then went to live in South Africa for 4 years retuned to the city with master and two young boys, stayed with mum and dad in block of flats bottom of Manvers St 2 mins walk from city centre.. I would not advise living too near city with children or living in a flat six floors up. Next move went to Hucknall excellent place now has Robin Hood line, Trams and bus, easy way to get into centre, food shopping lots of choice schools excellent both my boys attended Annie Holgate and both have excellent jobs. Eldest son's wife went to National school she also has a good job. I can't praise these senior schools high enough. Also the people of Hucknall are very friendly. Left Hucknall  as master wanted to live at the coast (Anderby Village) could not settle as did not like village life. Returned to home and went to live in Eastwood nice place good shops easy to get any were from here. Made mistake of moving from Eastwood to Jacksdale friendly folks but again like a village so not keen.

Jobs can't tell you much as I'm retired but my son works as design engineer on computers so if you want to get in touch with me via this site with any questions I will try and see if I can get answers for you.

Other places around Nottingham Basford, Bestwood, Top Valley, Rise Park, these small town's for want of a better word are just out side the city, then Hucknall, Sutton-in-Asfield, Kimberly, these are little north of the city. West Bridgeford, and Radcliff are south of the city.

To finish off I think Nottingham area would be a good choice as being almost in the centre of the UK you can go any were. Just a little more we also have Derbyshire on our door step lots of great walks. whew!!!!! HOPE THIS HELPS.

• Upvote 1

Skywalker. There will be plenty of nice areas to live in Nottingham, it depends on what kind of area/facilities you are looking for, and what is your price range if you are buying. I can only speak about where I live. It is a large estate of 1200 private houses and bungalows, all of which are detached. They buy/sell well because they are good value for money for their size.

The estate is called Rise Park and it lies 1 mile from Arnold and one mile from Bulwell, and three miles from Hucknall. All are towns of around 25/30,000 population. The estate has an excellent bus service of four routes serving Nottingham centre with daytime schedules of every 6 minutes or so. The M1 motorway (J26) is 4 miles away and main trunk roads to Mansfield and beyond a mile away. Using the countryside backroads, Southwell is 20 minutes away and Newark 30 minutes.

We have good local schools (easy walking distance). There are no dedicated play areas for children, I suppose most play in each others back gardens. The local shopping precinct has a Heron store, a convenience store and a ladies hairdresser. If you play golf we have a course on our doorstep with another down the road. Bulwell has a swimming pool and leisure centre and major supermarkets. Rise Park's nearest major supermarket is 1 mile away (served by bus if needed).

Being retired I have no information about local employment opportunities. Nottingham is a big city. Now and then you hear something negative about it, but it is no worse than elsewhere, and a damn sight better than many cities. I would suggest you spend a few days here (find a hotel offering reduced rates) and have a look/drive around.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

It's a long time since we lived in Notts but if I were to move back I would be looking first at somewhere on the eastern side  . Burton Joyce has always been a favourite of mine or further out Southwell or Bingham .

All have excellent bus services into town but are also handy for A1 / A46 links .

Well we live on the eastern side of Notts and the bus service is virtually none existent. Just twice weekly to Newark - and it's over a mile to the railway station which is great in the pouring rain. It's the price we have to pay for being surrounded by beautiful countryside - if you like that sort of thing. Yes it's nearly Christmas which makes me even grumpier!

• Upvote 1

I love Woodthorpe probably because that's where I grew up.  SOME parts are almost unchanged from 60 - 70 years ago.  It was nice then and remains so (well it seems that way to me)

57 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Well we live on the eastern side of Notts and the bus service is virtually none existent. Just twice weekly to Newark -

My brother lives on the main road through Burton Joyce and buses seem plentiful to me when we visit .

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

I love Woodthorpe probably because that's where I grew up.  SOME parts are almost unchanged from 60 - 70 years ago.  It was nice then and remains so (well it seems that way to me)

I used to like Woodthorpe as I lived there for 19 years but it's rapidly gone downhill since I left!

To be honest if i was moving to Nottm..a place like Margie's place of birth or Phil's would suit...it's lovely having nobody looking in on you...trouble is ..the price in Nottm for what i have here?..talking telephone numbers.

I lived in Saxondale Village for a time, and Bingham is a great place to live.

A relatively frequent train service, a good bus service, although the A52 can be chocker at times.

You all seem to for get if skywalker has a family he doe's not want to live in the sticks. He want's some town/village with a little go in it..

No offence to any one.

Merry Christmas to one and all

Thank you all for all your replies.i really appreciate it.

I have been looking at houses in Nottingham and they are quite affordable with lovely house. the ones i dream about are definitely within how much i can afford. I am looking towards the £170000. like this one

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63028739.html

I'm looking for a nice quite area where kids can play and maybe should not be far from the train station. Maybe a place that can get trains to London.I'm definitely trying to avoid the city center and crowded place.How is the traffic on the motorway around Nottigham ?I will make more research on the area you have mentioned.

My wife is not keen on moving as she won't be able to see her parents often again but i am definitely considering nottingham 

I might sound crazy but i'm thinking about buying a house first, then relocate later when i'm able to find a job around. Thats because of the age limit in getting a mortgage. I can afford to pay the mortgage and still stay where i am for at least a year.

I must say the houses in Nottingham are amazing for the price. It just the job market i can't find any information on. Are there website i can get more information regarding jobs in nottigham? From experience, i know they are lots of fake job adverts on most job boards. I have looked through Linkedin and not really seen a lot. 

My worries is moving and then become unemployed.

Well I'm Mapperley born and bred and 60 odd years ago it was a fine place to grow up . Not sure what it's like now .

That house looks pretty good to me and probably nearly half the price of here in the S.West .

In fact lived just down the road at one point on Norman Rd and before that Cherrywood , both off Porchester . My brother had a house on Porchester and later Pilkington Rd , apart from the incredibly steep Kenrick Rd all good then .

Shops nearby on Mapperley top and good bus service still I would imagine . 

Boynton Drive was built since we left but seem to remember it was allotments ? Wasn't there a spooky footpath that went from Wells Rd to Porchester around there ?

• Upvote 1

What was supposed to happen on the spooky footpath, David?

One of my aunties lived on Kendrick Road btw.  I remember how steep it was, although we always approached it from Robinson Road (?)

Nothing specific Margie and my memory may be playing tricks but the footpath always seemed a bit overgrown and an ideal hiding place for any miscreants . :)

Anywhere to the west of the city is reasonable. Beeston, Chilwell, Bramcote, Toton. 

South of the Trent is always going to be a little more pricey though.