All going wrong - local teams

Can't disagree with that summary Oz.

Notts's team spirit seems to have disappeared. I think they have yet to recover from Luke William's departure. Stuart Maynard has quite a job on his hands getting Notts up off the floor and performing again.

I think the defence is troubled by goalkeeper Stone's unreliability.

He certainly doesn't command his area well. Some similarities with Turner at Forest. To be fair though Turner had a very good game midweek against Bristol in the cup..

Notts have Luca Ashby- Hammond on loan from Fulham and I think he's due a start now.

Notts need to start winning again soon or this season is going to slide into mid table mediocrity very quickly.

• Like 1
  • Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Football is/was the beautiful game..........nobody loved the game more than me.......played till i was nearly 40....loved Forest and County...........however money took over alot of years ago now....

Just when you thought the world couldn't get any more unbelievable and ridiculous.....   Forest 1 - 0 Liverpool.

Forest in 2nd division......early 50s   Run by a commitee.. Reserves in Midland league.. Trent end 1/6 Players going to Ground on the Bus... Had to take a job in Summer

Posted Images

County - having played last night today's results see the Magpies slide further down the table and are now in 10th place still only 3 points from a play off spot but a mid table position is looking more likely than any sort of promotion position.

Stags - Comfortably in second place after thumping bottom club Forest Green Rovers away at The New Lawn ground. A paltry crowd of only 2,240 turned out to see the Stags take the lead with a goal by Ollie Clarke in the 12th minute and the score stayed that way until well after half time. Stags scored in the 68th and 79th minutes and Ollie Clarke bagged his brace after 7 minutes of time on at the end of the game. At home against 7th placed Harrogate Town on Tuesday evening.

Forest - 29,451 were on hand at the City Ground to enjoy an action packed first half that ended 2-2 in game that Newcastle took the lead three times to finish up winners 2-3. Forest's home form at the moment is appalling having lost 6 of their last 7 games. Nuno will have to get his book of 1001 excuses out again. VAR reared its ugly head denying Forest a penalty. Still only two points clear of a relegation place. Home against West Ham next Saturday as every home game from now on is a must win.

The Stags are looking quite formidable at the moment but with sixteen games to go it's far from over. Stockport are favourites for the title but there's still two or three other teams who could deny them automatic promotion.

If they do go up the Radford's will need to invest in the facilities. The playing surface is a priority.

The next few games will be telling for Notts. There's only a few points between five or six clubs outside the playoffs so the run in is going to be fascinating. Harrogate, Newport and Salford are top of the form table with Notts third from bottom. Three games in and Stuart Maynard is already under scrutiny.

Nuno's good start at Forest has faded quickly but the players continue to try hard.

I think the midweek cup replay took its toll on a few of the Forest lads. Ryan Yates in particular looked shattered when he was substituted yesterday. For a club fighting relegation the FA cup is a distraction they could really do without.

The sooner any points deduction is announced the better. Then at least they'll know what they have to do to stay up.

If they are deducted say six points then they just might hang on.

Ten points would surely mean game over.

If they do drop down their troubles aren't over because their wage bill is going to be huge by Championship standards.

• Like 1

Couunty - A solid win for the Magpies away in south Wales. That man Macaulay Langstaff scored the first for County with David McGoldrick netting the second 13 minutes later to go in 2-0 up at half time. That man got his brace in the 59th minute. Newport via a penalty scored somewhat of a consolation goal in the last minute of normal time. Unusually there were no yellow cards issued during the game. The 1-3 win takes County back into a play-off space on goal difference just above Harrogate Town who were hammered by the Stags. Away at 4th placed Hollywood United (Wrexham) on Saturday 

Stags - A goal fest at Field Mill as the Stags slam 9 past eighth placed Harrogate Town. Five nil up at half time including a brace by Hiram Boateng who completed his hat trick in the 50th minute. Harrogate scored two in two minutes within five minutes of Boateng completing his hat trick. Lucas Atkins got his 2nd goal two thirds through the game and Will Swan hit a brace in two minutes at the 54th minute mark. The 9-2win consolidated them in 2nd place one point behind Stockport with at this stage a better goal difference. Away at Walsall on Saturday

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Accord to Sports Unlimited News Nottingham Forest has an annual wage bill of 60,360,000 quid.

How the heck can the afford that even in the EPL. They will have no hope of covering that if they get relegated to the Championship, it could be the end for the Reds.

The same source says that the total wage bill for the highest paying fifteen clubs is 1,557,952,000 with Manchester City the highest at 190,996,000.

• Upvote 1

Last night Notts looked like a totally different team.

What a turnaround. A stunning renaissance.

Huge credit to Stuart Maynard. He changed the goalkeeper, the formation and with them the team’s fortunes.

Notts looked like automatic promotion let alone playoff candidates based on that showing.
I feared a loss was on the cards after the way they played against Gillingham last Friday, add in Newport's recent form and even a draw would have been a great outcome.

Stuart Maynard used nearly all the same players from last Friday but reassigned their roles and the team's formation and boy did he get a fantastic result.

I'm not going to jinx it by suggesting that the visit to Wrexham on Saturday is going to be anything other than very challenging but if they play like they did last night then it's going to be a brilliant game to watch.

Mansfield produced an outstanding performance to humiliate Harrogate. Their amazing result actually helped Notts get back into the playoffs group. With performances like that they could yet go up as champions.

BTW Derby won again. The tide is turning at Pride Park. Get ready for the jubilant Ram's fans celebrating Forest's misery sadly I think it's coming.

• Like 2

County - Lost away at Wrexham's Racecourse Ground to a 20th minute goal by Steven Fletcher in front of 12,532 fans. The defeat tips them out of a play off spot and they are now 9th in the table. McGoldrick had an equaliser controversially disallowed. Notts had three quarters of the possession but could not convert it into goals. Home against 4th placed Crewe on Saturday

Stags - Missed the opportunity to go top as early pressure by them failed to realise goals at the Bescot Stadium in Walsall. Bad misses and good saves kept the game goal less in the first half in which Stags should have been up at least 2-0.

Three goals in twenty minutes saw Walsall run out winners 2-1. Stags remain 1 point behind Stockpoint who were thrashed 4-0 by Tranmere and 2 points ahead of Wrexham who have a game in hand. Home against Salford City on Saturday.

Forest - Relegation pressures were eased a little, for now, by a 2-0 home win against West Ham. Strangely both goals were scored in time on at the end of each half Taiwo Awoniyi in the 5th minute of time on in the first half and Callum Hudson-Odoi in the 4th minute of time on in the second half. He was cautioned one minute later in a game which saw four yellow cards to Forest and five to West Ham, one of which became a red card in the 71st minute to Kalvin Phillips. Forest could have had two more goals but a penalty appeal was turned down and a goal by Danilo was ruled out due to offside by another Forest Player. Away at Aston Villa next Saturday

• Like 1

A great three points picked up by Forest whilst the other teams around them were losing. I didn't see the game but the reports I've read suggest they were good value for their win.

It would be such a tragedy if a points deduction sent them down after the way the players have dug in.

BTW I thought Luton were unlucky against Man U yesterday. On the strength of that performance they're too good to go down. At the moment Sheffield United and Burnley look as if they're going down but who will join them?
Everton are playing Crystal Palace tonight so that's a result to look out for.

Notts were very unlucky to leave Wrexham with nothing.

They dominated them in the first half but they took their chance and went in ahead at half time.

Wrexham upped their game in the second half but Notts kept them out and then Didzy McGoldrick had his equaliser ruled out for handball. The replays are inconclusive and the ref gave Wrexham the benefit of the doubt. It's not uncommon for Wrexham to get the rub of the green when they're at home. Their luck won't last forever and the promotion race is far from over.

I'm a great believer in karma and it certainly came along for Mansfield at Walsall on Saturday. They were denied a clear goal when the ref. ruled the ball had not crossed the line. Replays showed it was well over and Nigel Clough was bemoaning the ruling and calling for goal line technology.

I hope someone reminded him how Notts were denied an equaliser against them on Feb 3rd when the ball was later shown to have crossed the line.

Despite their defeat Mansfield remain in second place one point behind Stockport who also lost. Is there another wobble coming up?

Derby won again against Steve Evans' Stevenage to stay second in L1. They're six points behind leaders Portsmouth with a game in hand.

Steve Evans and his number two Paul Raynor are a very unpleasant pair IMHO and I very much hope Stevenage don't get promoted.

• Like 2

County - Continue their slide down the ladder, now see the bottom half of the table in 13th place after going down 1-3 at home to promotion hopefuls Crewe. The visitors opened the scoring in the 5th minute and extended their lead in the 19th minute with a penalty. That man had a shot well saved by the Crewe 'keeper but the game was relatively quiet until Crewe went further ahead in the 77th minute. County got somewhat of a consolation goal when O'Brien scored in the 83rd minute. A look at the match stats indicates Notts have some fundamental issues to resolve. In losing 1-3 at home the stats for Notts looked like this possession 72-28, Shots 14-9, Shots on target 6-3 and corners 9-4. The problem appears to be converting superiority to goals. All is not lost as they are only 4 points from a play-off position. Home against bottom club Sutton United on Tuesday night.

Stags - Their goalfest continues with a 5-1 home win against Salford which sees them at the top of League Two on goal difference from Stockport. Stags opened their account in the 18th minute, Salford equalised just before half time but Stgas went in 2-1 up after a 45+8 goal from Cargill. Stags scored again in the 57th minute with Keillor- Dunn's 17th goal of the season. Stags put a further two past Salford after Vassell received a straight red card in the 73rd minute. Away at Newport County next Saturday.

Forest - Villa opened the scoring in the 4th minute and a brace from Douglas Luiz saw them go in 3-1 at the half time break after Forest pulled one back in time on in the first half. Forest scored again soon after the second half started but Bailey made the score 4-2 in the 61st minute to claim the points for Villa. Somehow to survive they must stop leaking goals. At home against Man U on Wednesday in the 5th round of the FA cup and given United's recent form I think this one may just be winnable. Then back to the more pressing issue of survival when home against table topping Liverpool on 2nd March. Does anyone know when the decision of rule breaking will be handed down.

• Like 1

Oz, Notts were very poor yesterday but credit to Crewe who stopped them from playing. The playoffs are still possible but they really need to sort themselves out quickly. I can't see them getting any further this seasons even if they did scrape a playoff place.

Mansfield had a great win yesterday after going behind. I can't see them not being promoted now but they maybe won't take the title.

The remaining fixtures look very tasty for the front runners. 
Stockport or Crewe might yet snatch it. Wrexham are not looking particularly impressive at the moment but look out for MK Dons who are lurking in fifth place.

Nuno's honeymoon is certainly over with lots of fans expressing frustration with his team selection and tactics. I don't think he's a fan of Yates. I really rate the local lad. His attitude is superb.

I'm looking forward to the Man U cup game. Form goes out the window if the FA Cup so Forest are in with a real chance.

I thought Derby might get a draw at Barnsley but they finished up losing. They should see Charlton off on Tuesday.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Mess said:

Mansfield had a great win yesterday after going behind. I can't see them not being promoted now but they maybe won't take the title.

According to the reports I read the Stags scored first in the 18th minute. I think they have a good chance of taking the title.

I agree County need to smarten up and improve their consistency or it will be an "also ran" position for them at the end of the season.

Is Nuno a NoNo at Forest? I am not seeing the improvement I expected. Yes definitely in with a chance on Wednesday I just hope he does not pick an understrength team trying to concentrate on improving their league position. Whatever Nuno is trying to do it is not working.

• Like 1

Oz,

I don't know why I thought Mansfield went behind yesterday.

I was probably too distracted by Notts' miserable performance.

I agree that Mansfield have a good chance of taking the title but my money's on Crewe.

Forest - Now that the Premier Leagues appeals board has reduced Everton's points penalty to 6 it sees Forest only one place and four points out of a relegation place. Any significant penalty for Forest will surely see them relegated. Nuno is hardly setting the world on fire and the fans are becoming increasingly restive.

Good luck to the Reds on Wednesday evening.

The Notts defence was hopeless tonight and Stuart Maynard doesn't seem to know how to fix it.

I'm beginning to wonder how long the brothers will give him to change things.

The season's over for Notts now.

I hope Forest can survive because the only excitement in Nottinghamshire at the moment is in Mansfield.

• Like 1

County - Losing 3-4 at home to the bottom club Sutton United and having to come from behind 3 times before losing to a 70th minute penalty just about ends County's hope of promotion. Luckily Accrington Stanley lost at home and County did not fall further down the ladder. The more optimistic fans would say they are still only 4 points from a play-off spot. Their form is not consistent and a goal difference of only +3 does not give much hope. Away at Bradford on Saturday who could climb above Notts if they win.

Forest - Home against Manchester United in the FA Cup tonight. Probably more importantly their financial breach case will be heard on 7 and 8th March. A verdict is not expected until April and is subject to an appeal. If the get any form of points penalty it will surely condemn them to a fall into the championship as their form is very unlikely to get them out of trouble.

Being relegated could in all possibility see the end of Nottingham Forest.

Notts attack weren't at their best last night but they were still OK.

The defence however were simply diabolical and I think their dreadful performance left the rest of the team feeling thoroughly deflated.

Something has got to change and quickly. They were doing OK coming up to Christmas and then Williams jumped ship. Some fans are saying he saw this coming and maybe they're right.

I think they can hang on this season because they accumulated a good few points at the start but next season it could easily be a relegation battle if it's not sorted. The worry is that Jodi Jones and possibly Crowley and Langstaff could get poached this summer which would leave them in a big mess.

Forest aren't out the wood yet (sorry for that one). A points deduction and relegation would be bad news but surely not terminal? If they do drop down I would expect them to bounce back quite quickly but their massive wage bill might be the knock out punch. A very worrying few weeks ahead for the men in Red.

It would nice if they could put up a good show against Man U in the cup tonight. It would be a great tonic for them and their fans and we all know the form book goes out the window in the FA Cup. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Forest - The game looked set to be going into extra time but Forest exit the FA Cup by a last minute goal from United's Casemiro after a long VAR review. Forests attacking forays were at best sporadic and pretty ineffectual. Forest's 'keeper Turner made some fine saves to keep United out and Forest in the game.

If Forest can get a draw at home against Liverpool on Saturday it would help their battle for survival as they have some winnable games coming up as they await the outcome of the legal battle over breaking the spending rules.

I watched half of it Oz., but got fed up so watched summat else. Reminded me why I don't care for football.

Watched the film 'Paschendalle' instead.

Oz,

I enjoyed watching the first half of Forest v Man U in the cup last night.

Both sides moved the ball around quickly and skillfully and it was good to watch.

Forest's intensity fell away in the second half but Man U failed to capitalise. One Forest fan wrote that United were there for the taking and I can see what he meant but just as extra time was looming Forest unusually lost their concentration and Casemiro nipped in with a late winner.

I'm not convinced Forest would have won if it had gone to extra time because they were starting to look disjointed and leggy.

So on to Saturday and Liverpool at the City Ground. On paper it's a straightforward win for Liverpool but as Brian Clough famously said “unfortunately the game is played on grass not paper”.

Forest will do well not to lose however but at least their remaining fixtures look much easier.

• Like 2

Forest - In talking about Everton the EPL appeal board said that a six point deduction was the minimum but sufficient sanction required to achieve the aims of the profit and sustainability rules. If that happened today Forest would be in 18th position, two points behind Luton who have a game in hand. A 10 point deduction would see them only one point ahead of Burnley and Sheffield United on 13 points and already look doomed. Either penalty, given Forest's current form would definitely see them relegated and would surely be the end for Nuno too.

Only 12 games left in the season for them to change things round, they are :- H-Liverpool 1st,  A - Brighton and Hove Albion 7th,  A-Luton 18th,  H-Crystal Palace 13th,   H-Fulham 12th,  A-Tottenham 5th,  H-Wolves 9th,  A-Everton 15th,  H-Manchester City 2nd,  A-Sheffield United 20th, 

H-Chelsea 11th and finally A-Burnley 19th on the last day of the season. Encouraging in that they have to play all the clubs that are currently below them but not in they have to play four of the top seven clubs. It could well come down to that last game.

• Like 1

County - Away at Bradford City, match postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. Home against AFC Wimbledon next Saturday.

Stags - Go three points clear at the top after winning 0-1 away at Newport with a goal by George Maris just after half time. following a rather lack lustre first half. Maris had chances later in the half but failed to convert them. Newport were never a real attacking threat to the Stags. Home against 5th placed MK Dons on Tuesday night.

Forest - Yet again Forest go down at home 0-1 in the final minutes of the game against Liverpool at the City Ground. This is happening far too often, do they think the game is over and lose concentration? All in all probably a fair result as Liverpool dominated the game in all aspects of play. There was controversy over a refereeing decision just before Liverpool scored and Forest may well lodge a complaint. As a result of Forest's protest Steve Reid of the Forest coaching staff received a red card. The defeat leaves them 4 points clear of the relegation places and Nuno is not having the effect that was hoped when he got the job, are his days numbered? Away against 9th placed Brighton next Sunday.

It was a disgraceful refereeing decision and simply wrong. It looked like a possible penalty too but that aside it took the heat off a promising Forest attack which was far from over and gave Liverpool the chance to attack. I hope they report the incident and let the referee explain his decision. 

• Like 1

Stags - After taking the lead in the 15th minute Stags now give Wrexham a chance to draw level on points by going down 1-2 at Field Mill against 5th placed Milton Keynes Dons (doesn't sound like a proper football team does it?). Is this a re-emergence of the wobbles? We will see when they play mid table Swindon on Saturday at home.

Doom and gloom have descended upon our usually happy little home.

Why you might ask? The new AFL(Aussie Rules) season kicks off tonight. From now until September the media will be saturated with AFL coverage often leading all the news bulletins and newspaper headlines. I don't give a rat's rectum if Joe Bloggs has a corked thigh, Billy Goat has done a hammy or Errol Flint has strained his groin in some extra curricular activities. After American Football it is the stupidest game on the planet. If you miss the main goals, 6 points, you still get a point for missing but not by too far. The competition has eighteen teams yet they do not play every other team on a home and away basis. This strange system usually favours the Melbourne based teams, one in particular. It is called "football' but you are allowed to "kick the ball" with your hand and the ball is not even round. If the ball goes out of play, not intentionally" then one of the "white maggots", umpires, throws it in over his head with his back to the field? Like American Football the game is obsessed with statistics. The only one that matters is which team got the most points. I shall be totally ignoring the game as usual, changing channels when they start talking about it or switching the TV/radio off if I cant avoid it.

Roll on September.

• Like 3
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to All going wrong - local teams