All going wrong

Doom and gloom have descended upon our usually happy little home.

Why you might ask? The new AFL(Aussie Rules) season kicks off tonight. From now until September the media will be saturated with AFL coverage often leading all the news bulletins and newspaper headlines. I don't give a rat's rectum if Joe Bloggs has a corked thigh, Billy Goat has done a hammy or Errol Flint has strained his groin in some extra curricular activities. After American Football it is the stupidest game on the planet. If you miss the main goals, 6 points, you still get a point for missing but not by too far. The competition has eighteen teams yet they do not play every other team on a home and away basis. This strange system usually favours the Melbourne based teams, one in particular. It is called "football' but you are allowed to "kick the ball" with your hand and the ball is not even round. If the ball goes out of play, not intentionally" then one of the "white maggots", umpires, throws it in over his head with his back to the field? Like American Football the game is obsessed with statistics. The only one that matters is which team got the most points. I shall be totally ignoring the game as usual, changing channels when they start talking about it or switching the TV/radio off if I cant avoid it.

Roll on September.

• Like 3
  • Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Football is/was the beautiful game..........nobody loved the game more than me.......played till i was nearly 40....loved Forest and County...........however money took over alot of years ago now....

Just when you thought the world couldn't get any more unbelievable and ridiculous.....   Forest 1 - 0 Liverpool.

Forest in 2nd division......early 50s   Run by a commitee.. Reserves in Midland league.. Trent end 1/6 Players going to Ground on the Bus... Had to take a job in Summer

Posted Images

County - Crumble to another defeat 0-2 at Meadow Lane. An unfortunate own goal by Cornell Rawlinson in the 80th minute after coming on as a substitute in the 60th minute. AFC Wimbledon put the game beyond doubt 5 minutes from the end with a goal from K. Balmer. Since Williams left County's performances have been erratic at best and from being genuine contenders at the start of the season are now also rans in 15th place. AFC Wimbledon collected 5 yellow cards throughout the game. Away at Crawley Town on Tuesday evening. I am not sure how long Maynard will survive.

Stags of to a flying start with a goal from Lucas Atkins in the 4th minute. A dour first half followed. The game was shaken up by 4 goals in seventeen minutes. Swindon equalised in the 50th minute but Stags regained the lead one minute later by "their man" Davis Keillor-Dunn. Swindon drew level again 8 minutes later and it was left to Will Swan to seal the 3-2 win for the Stags at Field Mill with his goal. The win keeps Stags on top of the table 3 points clear of Wrexham having played the same number of games. Away at Tranmere Rovers on Tuesday evening

A correction to the Stags report Stockport scored a late goal, 90+3, against Newport County to go second, three points behind Stags with a game in hand but with a nine goal disadvantage on goal difference.

County - Trying to work out what has gone wrong at Meadow Lane. They have the leagues joint top scorer, Macauley Langstaff with 23, and he could have easily added to his tally against AFC Wimbledon. Daniel Crowley comes in at 13th place with 13 and David McGoldrick at 16th with 12 goals making up a total of 69 goals. Second highest in the league and only 3 less than the Stags who top the table. The problem is that they have leaked 68 goals, the second worst in the league. Can Stuart Maynard do anything to arrest the slide. if so what? They have not won at Meadow Lane this year. How long will the Reedzt brothers put up with this level of performance? My guess is not too much longer.

Forest - Go down 1-0 away at Brighton with Andrew Omobamidele scoring an unfortunate own goal in the 29th minute. Forest could have equalised immediately after the goal but Origi could not beat the Brighton 'keeper in a one-on-one situation. Forest never really looked like scoring apart from one chance by Chris Woods that brought a fingertip save from Verbruggen, and the Seagulls dominated possession ensuring Forest's chances were few and far between. Forest are 17th on the ladder three points above Luton who they play on Saturday. To say it is a must win game is an understatement, as if they lose Luton will go above them on goal difference and Forest will be in one of the relegation places. There are now only ten games left for Forest to turn things round and quite frankly under Nuno things are getting worse and I wonder which one from his book of 1,001 excuses he will trot out today. Any points penalty is certain to see them relegated and even without any penalty, unless something changes, it is looking likely.

Morning OZ    what are we going to do with the Red Men do you think (Now this might cause folk to be upset)  what if we join Forest and Notts C together would we have a good team? Now I can hear folk saying ""Wash your mouth out with soap girl."    The name could be "Forest County"

2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

what are we going to do with the Red Men do you think

1. Sack the no hopers that are currently in the team as they have no passion for the club and are only there for the cash.
  2. Develop a local/UK youth policy, Forest were at their best when they developed local talent and took them through to the first team.
  3. Buy "that man" Macauley Langstaff from Notts and Davis Keilor-Dunn from the Stags and give them a go. 
  4. Stop importing unproven expensive international "talent" many of whom are not up to the standard required for the EPL. 
  5. Do a full review of player recruitment staff and methods as it obviously has been a failure.
  6. Sack Nuno and his hangers on now, and get him to take his book of 1,001 excuses with him, he has been a complete failure. Any suggestions for a new manager?
  7. Find out who was responsible for breaching the EPL's financial rules and who sanctioned those actions, and get rid of them, as they could well send Forest down to the Championship.

I would rather see Forest get relegated playing some youths with passion rather than those who at the moment are only going through the motions to collect their wages.

• Like 2

County - Fall further down the ladder to 17th place after losing 2-1 away at Crawley Town. They took the lead in the 20th minute with a goal from Sam Austin, they held the lead until the 79th minute when Crawley equalised. Crawley took the lead 5 minutes later to take the points. Crawley received 5 yellow cards and County played the last 18 minutes 1 man down after Scott Robinson received a second yellow card and was sent off. I think Maynard is on very shaky ground at the moment. Away at Accrington Stanley on Saturday.

Stags- Away at Prenton Park with Tranmere Rovers just above County on the ladder Stags lost 2-1. Tranmere went ahead in the 12th minute with a goal from Regan Hendry. Will Swan put Stags on equal footing five minutes before half time.

Robert Hapter scored the winner for Tranmere in the 57th minute. Stags remain at the top but now only two points clear of Wrexham who were held to 0-0 home draw with Harrowgate Town. Stockport County are looming as a threat as they are only 3 points behind the Stags with two games in hand. It is going to be a titanic battle for the top spot. Stags away at Bradford City on Saturday. 

• Like 1

I've been quiet for the last week or so hoping I'll wake up and find Notts County's disintegration was just a bad dream but no, it's real.

A slump of epic proportions has occurred and the pre-Christmas optimism of the club and it's fans has just melted away.

How has it gone so catastrophically wrong?

Most of the disgruntled fans blame the new manager of course but there are others that are pointing their fingers at the owners and director Richard Montague for appointing him.

There's no doubt it was a high risk appointment and I've been reading that the senior players simply don't respect him and have voiced their opinions. It might explain why John Bostock and David McGoldrick haven't played recently although the official line is they're injured. The new striker Allasana Jatta has only had a few minutes off the bench since SM arrived too.

A very worrying time indeed. Something's got to give and I think SM could be gone very soon. The brothers cannot sit back and let all the previous good work go to waste. A bad result on Saturday and he'll go I think. He may even fall on his sword.

Just a quick word about last night. Sam Slocombe was outstanding. He pulled off some brilliant saves and without him Notts would have lost by more. Mom for me.

A quick comment on The Stags. I was surprised they lost last night and some of their supporters believe Nigel Clough was resting some of his players for the trip to Bradford on Saturday. It's a tough place to go although Steve Cotterill's Forest Green won there last night. I was disappointed Steve didn't stay at Notts under Ray Trew's tenure back in 2010 and he also did well at Forest. Notts could certainly do with him now..

I think Mansfield are almost up but I still think they may not get the title. I fancied Crewe would finish top and then I changed my mind to MK Dons. Now I'm thinking Stockport are coming back.

One thing is for sure, it won't be Notts.

• Like 2

Forest - Luton did not further damage Forest's chances of staying up as they lost 4-3 away against AFC Bournemouth. A game in which Bournemouth's Antoine Semenyo scored a hat trick.

Someone on this thread said the decision on the penalty for breaking the financial guidelines was due to be handed down on Friday. Minus six points would make it a struggle to survive given their current form and minus 10 points would mean it is all over red rover. Luton vs Forest at Kenilworth Park on Saturday. A "six pointer" if ever there was one.

Thankyou Bournemouth!  We were out for dinner and turned the car radio on when Luton were 3-0 up and only just heard that WONDERFUL Bournemouth scored 4 by the final whistle.  Forest live to fight another day.

9 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Forest live to fight another day.

Sadly Lizzie, I can only hope that Forest don't have a seat booked in the tumbril. I think it is just a reprieve until the guillotine falls on Friday.

County - Managed to halt the run of 5 successive defeats by drawing 2-2 against the team one place above them on the ladder, Accrington Stanley, The perpetual cellar dwellers of my youth. The crowd was a paltry 2,499. The Magpies opened the scoring in the 4th minute with a goal by Jim O'Brien. Accrington levelled in the 17th minute when the County 'keeper Slocombe could only parry a header and Whalley blasted the ball into the roof of the net. Alassana Jatta gave County the lead on the stroke of half time. Accrington salvaged a point after a handball in the area by Kyle Cameron gave them a penalty. County's position in the table remains unchanged at 17th and they are away at Bradford City, two places above them on Tuesday evening.

Stags - Thump 5 past Bradford City away at the Valley Ground in a game which saw 5 different goalscorers for them. Stags were three goals up by the 18th minute with strikes from Cargill, Atkins and Keillor-Dunn. They went in 4-0 up at half time when Will Swan added on in time on at the end of the half. Former Stag, Andy Cook pulled one back for City but Aaron Lewis completed the rout 4 minutes from the final whistle. The win keeps Stags on top of the ladder 5 points clear of Stockport who have two games in hand. Stags at home against relegation threatened Colchester United next Saturday.

Forest - Yet again Forest snatch a draw from the jaws of victory by ending up 1- 1 at Kenilworh Rd against Luton Town. Chris Wood put Forest ahead in the 34th minute and it stayed that way until the last minute of normal time when Luke Berry equalised for Luton. How many times have Forest given a goal away that has cost them points in the dying stages of a game this season? Ryan Yates nearly snatched the winner for Forest in the last minute of time on. The draw keeps the position at the bottom unchanged. Home against Crystal Palace next Saturday.

Forest expect to hear the outcome of them breaking the rules on profit and sustainability on Monday, we await with baited breath.

• Like 1

The Saturday when Forest beat Luton ?

Forest 2  Luton 1

Roy Dwright    Broke his leg 

I was in slab square waiting to see the Forest Team on the topless bus  and holding up the FA Cup,   Only cup never won while Brian was manager.

Forest - After being given a 4 point penalty for infringing profit and sustainability rules  they now fall into the relegation spots, third from bottom on 21 points. They are now one point behind Luton having played the same number of games and 4 behind Everton who have a game in hand. Thank goodness they did not lose at Luton last Saturday. Forest play their next two games at home against 14th placed Crystal Palace next Saturday and 12th placed Fulham on Tuesday 2nd April.

These are both winning chances. Meanwhile Luton are away at 5th placed Spurs on Saturday and the top of the table Arsenal on Wednesday 3rd April. The battle for relegation could quite different after these two games. Forest are likely to appeal the Premier League's penalty but in the interim they must continue to grab every possible point on off and stop giving away last minute goals that lose them points.

• Like 1
On 3/17/2024 at 12:13 AM, mary1947 said:

Forest 2  Luton 1

I was in slab square waiting to see the Forest Team on the topless bus  and holding up the FA Cup,   Only cup never won while Brian was manager.

1959 Mary, I was there too.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LizzieM said:

1959 Mary, I was there too.

On 3/17/2024 at 10:43 AM, mary1947 said:

Forest 2  Luton 1

Talking of Luton Town who will play a crucial part in Forest being relegated or staying up I see that Luton's goalkeeper in that game Ron Baynham has recently died aged 94. He was the oldest living England international footballer.

That mantle now passes to Frank Blunstone aged 89. Former outside left at Chelsea after starting his career at Crewe Alexandra in 1951. He played five times for the senior England squad.

• Like 3

County - "That man", Macauley Langstaff, helped in stopping the rot by scoring in the 12th minute and Alassana Jatta added a second in the 57th and a third in 90+4th minute to give the Magpies a comprehensive 0-3 away win at Valley Parade, Bradford. The home side was issued 5 yellow cards to County's one. Finally they move up the table to 13th position reversing the catastrophic slide that has seen them slip from 1st in weeks 5 and 8 through 12, until the real slide began in week 31 and this win reverses that plunge. Who knows what went wrong? Hopefully this is a welcome return to form and they could still make a play-off spot. Home against Salford City on Saturday.

• Like 1

Tonight Notts looked the real deal.

Dan Crowley ran the show and was MOTM for me.

Jatta is looking a great signing and is a real handfull.

I think Maynard has weathered the storm and Notts shouldn’t look back. I'm genuinely pleased for him. He's had a very difficult initiation.

A solid win on Saturday and I think we're back in business.

The playoffs are a big ask now but certainly not impossible.

• Like 1

Summary so far

EPL- Clubs in the EPL have only 9 or 10 games left. The champions will come from Arsenal, Liverpool or Manchester City. If it comes to the crunch Arsenal have the best goal difference. Relegation, Sheffield United and Burnley look doomed and as it stands the last spot will go to either Forest or Luton. Don't discount that Everton could be penalised some more points. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that both Manchester City and Chelsea could both be relegated for repeatedly breaking Financial fair play rules.

Championship - Promotion, any two from three, Leeds United, Leicester City and Ipswich Town. Leicester have a game in hand over the other two. Relegation, Rotherham not far from being relegated already the other spots could be filled with any two from 8 clubs, it will go right down to the wire.

League One - Promotion, I can't see it being any one else other than Portsmouth and Derby County. Relegation, Carlisle are a certainty and Fleetwood Town will probably take another spot. The last two spots will come from Port Vale, Cheltenham Town, Cambridge United or Burton Albion.

League Two - Promotion, Any three from 5 with the Stags having the best goal difference, Stockport and Wrexham most likely. Relegation, most likely Forest Green Rovers and Sutton United being replaced by Chesterfield who are storming away from the others and most likely Barnet and Romford from the play offs.

• Like 1

County - Sadly back to their losing ways and fall to 14th position after a 1- 2 loss at Meadow Lane to now 19th placed Salford City. Conor McAleny put Salford ahead in the 32nd minute with goal that went in off the post after Sam Austin was dispossessed. Dan Crowley equalised for the Magpies 9 minutes after half time. Both sides could have added to their tallies in the second half until McAleny got his brace in the 87th minute to give Salford the points and deny Maynard his first home win since becoming Counties coach. After a brilliant start it looks like an also ran season for the Magpies and leaving the fans wondering what has gone wrong. Away at 20th placed Swindon Town next Friday

Stags - Did not fare much better with a 1-1 draw at Field Mill against lowly Colchester United. The Stags went behind to a goal by Harry Anderson in the 13th minute and a series of saves by the Colchester 'keeper Goodman saw them keep that lead until Lewis Brunt poked the equaliser home after in the 63rd minute after a goalmouth scramble. Stags were livid when they believed a justifiable penalty was turned down in the last minute when Swan was fouled as he was getting ready to shoot. With almost two thirds of the possession Stags were left wondering how they surrendered 2 points that has reduced their lead over Stockport who have a game in hand to two points. Away at third placed Wrexham next Friday afternoon. 

Forest - No game this weekend, home against 14th placed Crystal Palace next Saturday when the battle for survival starts in earnest with another home game against 12th placed Fulham on Tuesday 2nd April. It is no understatement to say that these are "must-win games"

Oz,

Notts just couldn't get round Salford's deep press. They had little time or room to settle into their passing game and Karl Robinson's tactics paid dividends. Jodi Jones and Dan Crowley didn't make much of an impact and our new hero Jatta didn't turn up. Notts were a shadow of the team that beat Bradford last Tuesday. A mid table finish is the best we can hope for until Stuart Maynard or maybe his replacement sorts them out. Notts have several players who aren't good enough for L2 and those who are are too old or summer targets for other clubs. Cameron had a very poor game and really shouldn't be captain.

The Stags looked to be suffering from stage fright in the televised early kick off against Dan Cowley's Colchester.
They really struggled against a very well organised U's side who made them look very ordinary. Cowley has got Colchester playing with determination and belief and today Mansfield just couldn’t break them down. Even their equaliser was a scrambled affair.
Clough reminded me of Paul Ince at Notts, leaning against the dugout with his hands in his pockets looking quite disinterested.
He looked thoroughly miffed at the end but had calmed down in his interview.
The wind and bobbly pitch certainly didn't help.
I don't think Mansfield's promotion is in doubt but I think Stockport will probably take the title. They have recovered from their recent blip and are now looking very good.

I hope the break has done Forest good because they are going to need every bit of strength (and luck) to survive in the Premiership.

They could do it but I'm not sure that Nuno has the Cooper touch to rally them. The fans are really behind them which is amazing given the mess their owner and his cronies have made. 
It would seem the directors were unaware that newly promoted clubs had a different spending limit to established premier league clubs. Basic stuff really that even their highly paid legal representative couldn't blag his way round.

Money plays a huge part in succeeding in the top flight but it has to be spent wisely on footballing talent and coaching otherwise it won't bring success. It might work in Greece but UK football is run differently.

• Like 2

Forest - Apparently, according to media reports, Forest have appealed their four-point deduction for breaching the EPL's profit and sustainability rules. Nick De Marco KC is leading Forest's legal team.

Ironically had the team performed better where and when it mattered, four points should not have been an issue. 9 games to go to get themselves out of this mess without relying on any appeal leniency.

County - Crumble again away at 19th placed Swindon Town and fall further down the ladder to 16th place. Swindon took the lead in the 19th minute and further extended it 15 minutes from full time. Alassana Jatta scored somewhat of a consolation goal in the second minute of time on at the end of the game. Notts had 75% of the possession but could not turn that into goals. Home on Monday to MK Dons who are pushing for a promotion spot.

Stags - Lose 0-2 away at fellow promotion hopefuls Wrexham in front of almost 12,500 fans and surrender the top spot to Stockport by one point and they still have that game in hand over both the Stags and Wrexham. Stags continue to hold on to second spot by a massive goal difference. Paul Mullins brace, including a penalty in the 67th minute, Similar to County Stags had 60% of the possession but scoring chances were few and far between. The Stags have three home games in a row, the first is against Accrington Stanley on Monday, then Crawley Town and lastly Forest Green Rovers who are at the bottom of the ladder.

Forest - Take on Crystal Palace at the City Ground on Saturday, their first game after being penalised four points.

Nuno Espirito Santo has told his players to forget about the points penalty and to focus on their battle to avoid relegation.

Good luck to the Reds.

• Like 1