The poor iguana was probably trying to escape captivity.   It possibly didn't feel like celebrating when it was rescued,  only to be confined again!    I hope the poor creature was taken to a really good zoo instead of being returned to its 'owner'

I don't think there are "Good" zoos Margie.

I see caged animals in zoos & they all look bored to tears to me.

Their own natural habitat is where they ought to be.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Catfan, I agree that it is more natural for wild animals to live in their original habitat, but many seem to be on the way to being poached to extinction for their tusks or horns.  I believe animals which are born in zoos and have known no other life are probably better off in a zoo or 'wildlife sanctuary'.

Most zoos I have visited over the past few years have large custom-built enclosures and the animals seem healthy and well-fed.

Strangely. I'm  actually not convinced that a lion, for example, would PREFER  to hunt rather than have regular meat provided for them.  In the wild, they only go hunting from necessity, after which they appear to spend the rest of the time dozing.....

I suppose the same could be said for us... would we rather rather expend loads of energy growing ALL our own food - including cereal crops and rice - and hunt rabbits etc or get food from the shop?    

Would we prefer to walk miles to get water rather than having it 'on tap'?

What do others think?   Let's have a polite (of course) discussion..  I've been deliberately provocative btw!!

• Like 2

Zoos are, in my opinion, a necessary evil and I heartily wish they weren't.

The more humans there are on this planet, the less natural habitat will exist. We seem to think we are more important than any other creature. We aren't and we neither understand nor accept our responsibility toward them. We should follow the native American Indians. Revere all life, take only what we really need and live in balance and harmony with nature. If we don't, it may well be that nature itself will sort us out and that won't be pretty!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My friend tells me he grows tomatoes in a bag, I tell him I prefer to buy 'em in a bag.

• Like 1

I hate to see any animal caged up,,but as Jill says mankind as taken over every natural habitat for them,,so better a good Zoo. Recently looked after a beautiful big fluffy Guinea pig for a friend,,broke my heart to see it sat in a Cage 24/7,,wherever they come from I reckon they should all be freed and let loose to take their chances,,i'd rather be on the run than locked up.

There's a restaurant in Spain where we always go,,and they had until this year a lovely old Parrot in a cage,,the poor thing could hear all his mates calling and arguing all day in the Palm trees and he was stuck in a bleddy Cage,, the last time we went he had gone,retired they told me,,must admit I missed him i'd,taught him to say ''ey-up''......

• Like 2

You're right Jill Earth has reached saturation point in terms of people that can be supported and the speed at which we're screwing the planet up is increasing.

Globally there is roughly 14/15 humans per sq km so enough space but resources are another matter.

Not too sure about the rose tinted view of the american indians though. Pre -industrial living doesn't look all that attractive to me.

• Like 1

Walking through the Peoples Republic of Bulwell this morningI was thinking about animals in zoo cages & I am convinced after seeing some of the "human" ? samples I saw convinced me a lot of them should be in cages !

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Brew said:

Not too sure about the rose tinted view of the american indians though. Pre -industrial living doesn't look all that attractive to me.

Maybe not, Brew, but we could be back there very easily!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

With the UK governance on the verge of collapse, today's headline in the British Daily Star reads "'ARRY: I WAS CONNED BY DEL BOY" and goes on to state:

'The Daily Star prefers to put Brexit matters to one side and lead once again with tales from the King of the Jungle Harry Redknapp as he revealed how he once brought (sic) a dud television from a market trader.'

Sorry, Daily Star, that is not news.

How do these rags stay in business long enough to be able to produce the next edition?

• Like 1