Your oldest memories

Have often wondered, what are your oldest memories?. Mine go back to remembering,being pushed to the end of st Ann's Well rd in a push chair by a lady, named Peggy (she looked after me when my mom and dad were busy working. I also remember being taken to the nursery inbetween bath st park and the park where Bendigo lion is, can't remember the name!!) Going to Shelton st infants, ask me what I was doing a week ago, and I struggle to remember!!. Lots of things in detail about my childhood from infant to about 8. Anyone else?

• Like 1

My memories of infancy are clearer than recent ones.  I remember being pushed in my coachbuilt pram to see relatives in Garden Street or along Gregory Boulevard to the bowling green on the forest where mum would sit chatting to other mums with children while they did their knitting.  I remember, vividly, waking one dark night and seeing the full moon very low in the sky outside my parents' bedroom window. I could see it through the bars of my cot and was so frightened I began to scream! Dad went down to the kitchen and made some warm milk for me after which he explained that it was only the moon and carried me to the window to look at it, after which I went back to sleep.

I can recall entire conversations from my very early years and where I was at the time. Also visits to the baby clinic for vaccinations and weighing. Hated going to the clinic because there was always the noise of screaming babies!

• Like 1

I think there is another topic somewhere similar to this one?

Earliest memory is sitting/wriggling on my mum's knee as she used twists of cotton wool to clean out my nostrils!  That was before the advent of cotton buds.

Then I remember being pushed in my pram up towards Mapperley, kneeling and looking over the top of the hood - mum must have fixed the reins so I could do that.

I remember drinking milk from a baby bottle that was a curved shape, like a banana, with narrow ends.

I also remember (I think) running out on to the street with no clothes when I was just a toddler... I was escaping from bath time (so I've been told).   

• Like 1

I remember my father coming home in his demob suit and trilby hat when he came back from the RAF. Around 1945 maybe. I also remember playing in the snow in the winter of 1947 and I also standing outside the Midland Station looking down the hill at the floods on Arkwright St..

2 minutes ago, Tompa said:

Hartley Road Childrens Home.

That's one place I remember passing when I was being pushed to Garden Street! There was a decaying sandstone wall around the place and it looked, to my infant eyes, exactly like the honeycombed middle of a Crunchie Bar.  Always wanted to go and take a bite out of it!

Being sat on a chair and being tied up and told that if I wet the bed again she would cut my willy off. And that my friends is a true story.

2 minutes ago, Tompa said:

Being sat on a chair and being tied up and told that if I wet the bed again she would cut my willy off.

Bleddy hell, that sounds a bit drastic !!

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Tompa said:

Being sat on a chair and being tied up and told that if I wet the bed again she would cut my willy off. And that my friends is a true story.

Sadly, Tompa, there have been other former residents of children's homes on this site who recalled similar treatment.

• Upvote 1

In me Pushchair going down a very steep Hove road on Bestwood estate, behind my Dad who was carrying large Radio,,you know them that had large Valves,,it was 1947 when we moved from Leybourne drive to Andover road.

Also in me Pushchair again,,rolling into the river Leen on Bulwell Bogs sucking me sucker.......then being pulled out ,,still Sucking..........lol 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Also in me Pushchair again,,rolling into the river Leen on Bulwell Bogs sucking me sucker.......then being pulled out ,,still Sucking..........lol 

Chulla always said you were a Bulwell Bogger!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Sadly, Tompa, there have been other former residents of children's homes on this site who recalled similar treatment.

And then when I was fostered out I was beaten with a strap for the least little thing. 

Although my parents separated when I were 4 i wasn't fostered out, my sister was. But prior to mum sodding off, i got a clout with a 'poker', and it hadn't been out of the fire very long, still got the scar on my back.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Waddo said:

Although my parents separated when I were 4 i wasn't fostered out, my sister was. But prior to mum sodding off, i got a clout with a 'poker', and it hadn't been out of the fire very long, still got the scar on my back.

After all said and done we didn't turn too bad, a little bitter maybe.. or ?

The terrible activities that occurred at certain children's homes in Nottinghamshire are now in the public domain for all to see. That they have scarred those on the receiving end is beyond all doubt.  It certainly makes you thankful for the security of a loving family and brings an awareness of how easily those of a sadistic and perverted nature can gain positions where their vile wishes can be satisfied.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Willow wilson said:

hated it too, I guess that would be the clinic just off Radford Blvd.

No, WW, it was next to Hyson Green Library. Now gone. Mum did occasionally pop into the clinic off Radford Boulevard, en route to Garden Street, for a tin of National Dried Milk or the delicious concentrated orange juice.

On the morning of my first day at school I remember playing in a sand box table, quite enjoying it. I was later told to sit at a table with a group of other starters each with a slate and chalk and start drawing something. I didn't like it and wouldn't co-operate at all so was moved to the nursery where I was happier and could play with things. And that's been me ever since, hated desk work (except for technical drawing). Metalwork was a joy. Whenever I did school and college homework it filled me with dread and foreboding, but I was as happy as the day is long making things,  especially Meccano things at home and modifying pushbikes or later on tinkering with my old car.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm pretty much the same ww, always been better with my hands than sitting down with paperwork. Even as a lad, i was into finding out how things work, and have stayed that way up to this day.