I think but not certain that in the 60/70s the Coop was where the old picture house was, now Wetherspoons,so yes you've got it right.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

There was the Co-op on Highbury Road that was in the old cinema (the actual building). Don't know what it is now.

In my time living in Bulwell - 1980s to late 1990s - there was also the larger Co-op on the corner of Highbury Road/Main Street leading up from the Market Place. Is that now a Wilkinson's?

The shop I remember was definitely on Main Street and seemed quite large, although not in comparison with supermarkets. It had a sort of projecting concrete 'Iintel' which ran over the shop front and down the sides of the window which gave it a very 1960s appearance but the property was probably much older. I also seem to recall coloured tiles on the exterior of the shop front, under the window.

Jill, perhaps a Co-op on Main Street that pre-dated the large one on the corner that I mentioned.  I worked in Bulwell in the late 1960s/very early 70s and while I was fairly familiar with town centre not all the shops have stuck in my memory!

By the time I went to live there in 1980 I remember there was a supermarket on Main Street more or less opposite the Midland Bank - could have been Lipton's but I'm not certain. If I say possibly that was previously the Co-op I'm just speculating.

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit confused here! Just had a look at The Sir William Peveril, which is the Bulwell Wetherspoons as referred to by Ben. Although the frontage looks different, it still has the outline of that concrete lintel which is now apparently painted black, surrounding the front of the building and going down the sides which makes me wonder if it is actually at least in part, the same building which used to be the Co-op of the early 1970s. From the photographs on their website, I can see virtually nothing of the adjoining buildings but the brick work to the side of the Sir William Peveril does not look new or recent so it maybe that at least is part of the shop front I remember  

I'd be interested to know but from the photographs available it's just not possible to ascertain whether the whole thing has been rebuilt or whether it is partially the same building

I thought Wethers was at one time Wilkos. I'm sure I've seen in mentioned in some topic or other. 

Savemore was the one opposite midland bank,a new build at that time,there was an alley (still there), then the King Billy pub,and thinking back the Coop was the old cinema which is now Wetherspoons...........and as MI said they later moved into what is now Wilkos.

So I'm not going potty???

Ok, here's one. What was the name of the ladies clothes shop which was roughly opposite Ford's. I remember looking in their window on a number of occasions in the early 70s and they always seemed to have a sale on. The articles in the sale seemed to consist of Edwardian corsetry and sundry other garments which looked as though they were at least 50 years old. I know some shops take the opportunity to get rid of stuff that hasn't sold during the sales but that was ridiculous!

Can't remember the name of that shop Jill,over the last few years its changed hands many times think its 'Select' now,this type of shop seems to struggle since Tesco moved in on that Market............Was sad to see another ladies clothes shop with 'Closing down' notice up this morning (up another alley) by the side of Birds,called 'Zains' I know the owner slightly bloke called 'Saed' been there 17 years,again I think its down to Tesco.

#633. I think the shop you are thinking about might be G S Philpott. It is mentioned in a 1960s Bulwell Directory as being at 90 Main Street. Seeing that French the florist is at 124, this would make it about where you remember. The advertisement in the Directory says:

Household drapery, carpets and lino, ladies, gents and children's clothing and footwear.

I seem to recall that it had a woman's name on the front of the shop, Chulla but cannot remember what it was. It was quite a small shop and I wouldn't have thought it was the type or large enough to sell household goods such as you mention. By the look of it...not to mention its stock...it must have been there for a long time.

Yes chulla can't be the same shop............imagine a lady buying Corsets,a bra,......then saying 'oh i'll have a roll of Lino and two saucepans while i'm here''.......lol.

• Upvote 3

Melias and the other shop was later the Coop and now Wilkos,.......can just make out Farrands on ist picture with the blinds out.......a large % of those buildings are still there,.........thanks cliff-ton.

In the first picture, the building on the right on a corner in the distance I believe was a newsagent. If I'm recalling correctly, the ladies clothing shop was either the one just before the gap or the one before that. It's too far distant to make out any names.

Don't think so, Ben. Girdles were supposed to support the abdominal region. Corsets were and I believe still are bespoke garments which pull in the waist and push the internal organs upwards. Considered very bad for women's health, although some still wear them to achieve the classic hour glass figure.

Incidentally, some men with back problems wear corsets for support! I should imagine not you though. Just the liberty bodice wasn't it? :blink:

• Upvote 2

Thanks for that Jill,always wondered whether they were one and the same........this Nottstalgia is so educational.........and glad you remembered my 'Liberty Bodice'...............

• Upvote 1

She did and her many sisters spoilt me rotten,all Bulwell lasses loved em all and will always miss em,..probably why I will always prefer Ladies company.........

• 2 weeks later...