I bought a suit for my son's wedding a few years ago. I doubt it will fit me now! I don't attend funerals, only my own and that's 'straight to crem' so I won't need a suit for that!

I don't do smart anymore. There's nobody I want to please. Just practical and comfortable. 

On 4/27/2024 at 7:41 PM, Ryedale said:

My grandfather Will Hill had a tailoring business in which, after the war, three of my uncles also worked.

i would like to contact any of my cousins if possibly.

Paul Hardaker

North Yorkshire.

I was at Digby College at the same time as Liz Hill in the late 60s. She lived on Station Rd , Burton Joyce.

Somewhere on this site , ages ago,  I posted a photo of a group of us from Digby on a daytrip to Scarborough and she was in the photo.

A very spirited intelligent good looking girl .

Don't know if true but I remember being told she went to a kibbutz in Israel with a disc jockey who worked at the Palais and they married there . Can't remember his name.

Would love to know how she got on in life.

Not 100% sure but I think her father was Raymond Hill.

On 4/27/2024 at 11:40 PM, LizzieM said:

Welcome Rydale.

I have a feeling that Will Hill lived in a house near where I live in Mapperley Park.  I will check with the present owners and get back to you if they know the history of the house.  

@LizzieM There's a news report from 1991 of the Golden Wedding Anniversary of Douglas Hill (of Will Hill) and his wife Rene (nee Tyler) and says they lived at Richmond Drive , Mapperley Park. It says they had a son Gordon and daughter Di .

Yes CT I saw that thread too but can't locate the photo using search on here or via google. It was just a bunch of teenagers on a beach. 

It must still be on my Flickr account to repost but it's difficult to access from my phone. Will have to wait till I get on my laptop.

Managed to get into Flickr.

This was the photo I took on Scarborough beach probably 1966/7. All were from Digby and most on this lived Burton Joyce.

Liz Hill bottom right .

Others back row l to r:

Peter Henson, Paul Hicking , Ian Hughes , ? , ?, John Stobart (behind Liz) , Gordon Lewindon.

The other girl is Barbara , can't remember her second name.

20151224_183943

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Nice photo @DAVIDW, I was hoping I’d recognise some of them as I was at school close by but unfortunately I don’t even recognise their names …….. except John Stobart and I wonder if it’s the same one who was a Judge, I only met him when he was much older. 

@LizzieM  Yes same chap. He was studying law at Digby when I knew him .

• Upvote 1

We had a boat in the Med and John helped my husband move it from Corfu to Menorca about 30 years ago.  

• Like 1

Just in case the OP comes back I had a quick search of the Hill family. Maybe errors, can't 100% guarantee it's right info without seeing certificates :

Will Hill family.

William Frederick Hill born 1882- married Gertrude Key or Keys b1883 in Nottm. He died March 1968.
1911 family living 2a Noel Street.

His Offspring :

Leslie Hill 1905-1975? . He married EiIeen Otilie Elliott , she died 1997.

Douglas Cecil Hill b1907 . Married Rene Tyler in 1931. They had a son Robert Hill.

Mabel Irene Hill born 1911 married Ernest John Quarton in 1932. Son Christopher Quarton.

Gordon Hill 1917-1943 of parachute reg , died  in WW2 Arnhem.

Raymond Geoffrey Hill born 1922-1997.
Married Patricia M Ayres in 1942. 
Possible children Penelope b 1943 and Elizabeth A born 1949.
Penelope poss marriage to Raymond J Beasley. 
Possible son , Martin William Beasley b1969. Wendy, Clare.

Joan Hill born 1923 married 
Harry Hardaker 1943.

1939 the Hill family were at Roydene, Private Rd Mapperley Park later they lived 66 Tavistock Drive, Mapperley Park.

1978 the Will Hill retail business merged with Jeremy Vass tailors of Bridlesmith Gate.  
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Will Hill - Tailors

Thanks @DAVIDW so my old deceased neighbour was correct, the Hill family did live in a house near us.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I still remember catching the 28 bus from Trinity Square when Trinity Church was still there. I have rather vague memories of the temporary stuff, then other memories of a cafe, a guitar/music shop, a travel agents and a jeweller. In either Trinity Row, or Burton St. Long time ago.

27 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I still remember catching the 28 bus from Trinity Square when Trinity Church was still there. I have rather vague memories of the temporary stuff, then other memories of a cafe, a guitar/music shop, a travel agents and a jeweller. In either Trinity Row, or Burton St. Long time ago.

I obviously recall the 28 bus too Col..........it stopped outside our house on Andover......Terminus outside 216 Leybourne around the corner from you .....i remember the clock there as well..........Had a class mate live at 214 or 212 Tony Leatherland....sadly passed away very young...........the other buses that terminated in Trinity square were numbers 6 to Bestwood estate....17 to Bulwell and 18 to Edwards lane............Trinity church also had a Graveyard......wonder what they did with all the deceased?

• Like 1

The graves were probably paved over, Ben. It costs an extortionate amount to exhume and reinter remains elsewhere and, as we all know, there are no pockets in shrouds.  Unless it is proposed to build on a burial site, I think the graves would remain undisturbed.

My father's family lived in Derby in the early 1800s and their parish church was St Peter's. Most of the area around it is now paved and part of the pedestrianised thoroughfare, although one or two tombs very close to the church survive. Presumably, my ancestors' remains lie under the thoroughfare as quite a lot of them appear in the burial registers.

Apparently the graves were opened and the remains were removed after the church had been demolished. There is no record of where the remains were reburied. Most likely Wilford Hill. (according to Google)

Yes, of course. I'd forgotten that the church in Trinity Square was demolished. I suppose that meant that the burial ground was deconsecrated and all remains removed.  St Peter's in Derby is still in existence and in use.

As Victorian churchyards go, Holy Trinity appears to have been quite sparsely populated.

Getting back to the original query for new member "Ryedale" to find lost cousins , he was defeated by the vagaries of this site and was unable to get back to the thread.

To be fair he is in his 80s and it's not the easiest message board to navigate.

I emailed him and after a bit of research did manage to find grandchildren of some of his now deceased cousins.

I messaged a couple of them on Facebook, explaining his quest and one did send a brief reply to me.

I've passed on Ryedales email address but not heard another thing from either party so unsure if they have made contact or not but we live in hope ! 

• Like 2

@DAVIDW, in fact it was through this forum via KatyJ, who ran across a relation of mine who I had not seen or heard of for 62 years. Katy read an article on FB and contacted the writer, giving her my email address, ( with my permission)the outcome was my baby cousin mailed me and we are now in regular contact and she has become more like a baby sister that I never had. This is also how I learned about my relationship to Jayne Torville.

Not relevant to the topic I know but it does show that contacts do work.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DAVIDW said:

Getting back to the original query for new member "Ryedale" to find lost cousins , he was defeated by the vagaries of this site and was unable to get back to the thread.

I understand and agree with your comment about this site.....but I have to admit that I probably made things worse by moving his original post into another thread. It had originally been posted in a thread about steam trains and railways.

• Like 1

@Cliff TonI'm not sure if that was the reason of his difficulty and indeed only found my way back to the thread by typing "Raymond" (one of Will Hills sons) whose name I had used in one of my answers. 

As I say he hasn't replied to my last email informing him of a distant relative yet, so maybe he's lost interest ?