I started a mining forum, if there are any old pit workers as members here its called Coalmine and the URL is http://coalmine.proboards23.com/

If you use an AOL email addy, I would suggest you get a Yahoo of MSN Hotmail account as for some reason AOL email subscribers have been having difficulty obtaining their passwords.

John

My Advice to you, If you are gonna do it properly

Get yerself a domain name before the forums get busy.

Migrating forums later on that system, could prove impossible

If you need help with Domain, I can help.

I have some spare web hosting I can donate for your domain.

This would be 'as is' as it would be free. You could move it on later.

I can also help with Forum setup and software if you wanted the same system

as we use here.

Mick

I knew a couple of Guys at Gedling.

Where were you ?

I am an ex Gedling pit man's ex if that's any help! :ph34r:

I have been down the cage in Gedling pit what an experience that was, made a right mess of my hair it did :P

Caz

My Advice to you, If you are gonna do it properly

Get yerself a domain name before the forums get busy.

Migrating forums later on that system, could prove impossible

If you need help with Domain, I can help.

I have some spare web hosting I can donate for your domain.

This would be 'as is' as it would be free. You could move it on later.

I can also help with Forum setup and software if you wanted the same system

as we use here.

Mick

I knew a couple of Guys at Gedling.

Where were you ?

Thanks for the offer Mick, might take you up on it later.

I served my electrical apprenticeship at Clifton and Cotgrave pits in the 1960's.

John

I am an ex Gedling pit man's ex if that's any help! :ph34r:

I have been down the cage in Gedling pit what an experience that was, made a right mess of my hair it did :P

Caz

Weren't you wearing your helmet??? Boulby Mine in North Yorks, the upcast shaft was pretty windy when we were descending. It had two 1350 horspower fans situated not far from pit bottom. In the main returns, one would get sandblasted with the force of the air!

John

:ph34r: I lived next to Hucknall collery back in the 70s does that count :D

:angry: Sadley not their any more, the collery not me :lol:

post-11-1101333908_thumb.gif

I think its a great idea

Minersreunited :D

I was involved in the sad affairs of 1984 from the outside.

Alan "Archie" Andrews owns a three year old site called "The Miners Reunited" He's an ex pit fitter with his own IT business in New York State.

Mines for information, history etc....

Mick, give me a run down on what your offering please, not interested in smilies and half of what is on the proboards site..

Email me mate..

John

:ph34r: I lived next to Hucknall collery back in the 70s does that count :D

:angry: Sadley not their any more, the collery not me :lol:

I did my basic training up at the old no1 pit, surface, underground and basic workshop stuff for the first year and went to the college near the Linby turnoff.

Sister lives in Huchnall, she used to live down the road from where the Linby pit once stood.

After the first years basic stuff I went to Arnold and Carlton near Gedling Colliery.

Closest I came to Hucknall no2 was the Miners Welfare, used to be a great place in the 60's!

John

John Email on way.

I am hoping we get more pit lads on here for you as well.

Ya never know :D

I wuz gonna go dahn pit, but glad i never did.

Me mam would'nt let me join the marines neither :o

John Email on way.

I am hoping we get more pit lads on here for you as well.

Ya never know :D

I wuz gonna go dahn pit, but glad i never did.

Me mam would'nt let me join the marines neither :o

Should have heard what Dad said when I asked him if I could go down pit Mick!!!

Gave me a good living and a training that was recognised around the world.....Most tradesmen from the old NCB were some of the best trained skilled men in the world!!

The only thing about the NCB, it made us friggin lazy :o

Will be checking domain names out today Mick!!

John

• 3 years later...
I started a mining forum, if there are any old pit workers as members here its called Coalmine and the URL is http://coalmine.proboards23.com/

If you use an AOL email addy, I would suggest you get a Yahoo of MSN Hotmail account as for some reason AOL email subscribers have been having difficulty obtaining their passwords.

John

I am an Ex miner. My working life was: 1954-1959 Cinderhill/Babbington

1959-1968 Bentinck

1968-1978 Thoresby

1978-1989 Sutton.

Any help for you?

Anyone know when Newcastle Pit shut? Deputy at hucknall told us either late in WW2 or shortly after thousands of pounds worth of US Aircraft spares were dumped down that pit? only far as I know shut way before start of the war?

I can remember going to the Newcastle coal wharf with our next-door neighbour when he drove a coal delivery lorry for a firm called Rhodes from Bobbers Mill in the late 40's. There were no signs of it ever being a pit then.

On a similar note, my grandfather, who worked at Bulwell Shonky pit till it's closure, told me that the shafts at Digby pit near Kimberley were filled with ex military radio equipment. This may well validate the Newcastle story.

My dad worked at Gedling Pit and as a child also went down in the cage. we used to go with mum on a Friday to have dinner in the canteen, mushy peas and chips' and also we now know to relieve dad of the house keeping before he let his mates do it playing cards, we once found him in the long grass at the cricket field playing poker. He was a lovely dad and husband it just took him a while to calm down,we wouldnt have swopped him for the world. On dark nights a movement outside in the dark would catch youre eye and a black face would be looking at us waiting for one of us to see him and nearly die of fright, love him.

Gedling Pit is being turned into a nature reserve and is a great place to take the dogs.

Nice to see the Bevan boy's down Whitehall yesterday as well, they deserve to be recognized for keeping the wheels of industry turning on the home front

Rog

• 1 year later...

My dad worked at Gedling Pit and as a child also went down in the cage. we used to go with mum on a Friday to have dinner in the canteen, mushy peas and chips' and also we now know to relieve dad of the house keeping before he let his mates do it playing cards, we once found him in the long grass at the cricket field playing poker. He was a lovely dad and husband it just took him a while to calm down,we wouldnt have swopped him for the world. On dark nights a movement outside in the dark would catch youre eye and a black face would be looking at us waiting for one of us to see him and nearly die of fright, love him.

Gedling Pit is being turned into a nature reserve and is a great place to take the dogs.

Hi Niffer when was this, my dad was there from 1920s to 1973 52 years I have is long service certificate on my wall . I also would go up to pit canteen on a friday for same reasons in the fifties my dad was little wemmy know to most gedling miners. I also whent down the pit as a youngster. But the day I always loved being up at the pit was the friday they broke up for summer holidays when they brought up the ponies out into the fields for two weeks.My favorite was ginger loved the mint imperials and would follow dad down the field because he knew he would always have some in his pocket.Your dad sounds like mine worked hard down pit but also liked to play hard wether it be be in the pub or playing cards somewere my dad asso played dominoes and won a few trophys also played table skittles and long alley had a go at pool and snooker but as he was so small had difficulty reaching to take his shots.

My (late) uncle by marriage Bill Smith (yes I know unusual name) worked at Gedling 1960's to 1980's, both as u/g and surface loco driver, also played one (only one!) league game for Derby County

Nice to see the Bevan boy's down Whitehall yesterday as well, they deserve to be recognized for keeping the wheels of industry turning on the home front

Rog

Yes Rog but what about all them full time miners that stayed in the pits to train these bevin boys without them giving these lads the training and in some caces accomadation it would not have happened but they did not get any reconization then or now many were called cowards for staying on in the pits to keep the country in coal to keep our other industries going many did things like fire watching ect as well as being down the pits often for 12 hour shifts because they were short of trained men in the pits but they were still called cowards by some.

Yes I do think its great that the bevin boys were honoured. But none of the old miners were not even given a mention. iknow that most are them are no longer with us but they atleast deserve a mention

I wonder if Phil Cross, ex miner from Gedling is still about?

Big Black guy who me and Beef knew from the CB radio days.

Did live on Berry Hill Grove, Gedling?