Hi, I wonder if any of you can help in anyway. We're looking to move to Mansfield and wondered if any of you can recommend any areas as well as areas to avoid ?

We would require something quite close to schools but prefer not too busy areas.

Would Clipstone meet this criteria ?

Many thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and Welcome Tony

Its ages since, I frequented those parts.

There are those here that have more knowledge than I, of current sittuation of those areas.

Dont forget, the nearby towns of Kirkby in Ashfield and Sutton in Ashfield.

Where are you moving from and Why are you choosing Mansfield?

Hi Mick, thanks for the reply.

Obscured for some but we're moving from the lovely Isle of Wight to the mainland for many reasons. Mainly oppurtunities for jobs, larger house (IOW is quite expensive) and we have family in Mansfield.

We have asked some family members about the areas but I'm trying to source as many opinions as I can really.

As much as I love the Isle of Wight, I would move to the mainland tomorrow.

As a Lad, I lived in Dibden Purlieu on the mainland, in the New Forest.

I went to School in Hythe.

Without a doubt the best place I ever lived.

I love Hampshire.

Tony,

IMO, the whole area in and around Mansfield has improved considerably over the years. Once deemed to be 'run down', but not so today.

Some of the surrounding 'mining' villages offer less attractive housing.

Avoid Shirebrook and Warsop like the plague....

Arguably one of the many newer housing developments at Berry Hill, Rainworth, Skegby or Sutton might be worth considering.

Wide range of properties always on the market...

Good shopping amenities within the town, 'Four Seasons' shopping malls as good as any, for a place of its size.

Excellent public transport with a reinstated rail link to Nottingham....

Cheers

Robt P.

Many thanks for that Rob. Some really good thoughts there and I appreciate you taking the time to post.

U mention Berry Hill which is an area we have noted some lovely properties from looking online. Our family members reside in mansfield woodhouse, an area we've visited on many occassions and although not on the top of our list we do like it there.

When we pop up to do a bit of searching in the next few weeks we're going to vist areas like Forest Town, Clipstone & Ollerton. Looking at the map they seem a little more rural ? We whould have around £225k so fingers crossed that the ideal place pops up.

Thanks again

p.s I've been to Shirebrook and know what you mean!

p.p.s Mick yes Hampshire is very lovely indeed, sometimes I have to stop to think if we're making the right decision. Thing is the IOW is about 15 years behind in most things so time to go for me.

p.s I've been to Shirebrook and know what you mean!

Apparently on the Eighth Day the Good Lord decided that the world needed an enema, and Shirebrook is where he stuck the tube smile2

Cheers

Robt P.

LOL @ Rob smile2

Mick, True enough what you say. Each to their own I guess. Another reason to move from the IOW is the crippling fares to get to the mainland.

Try www.wightlink.co.uk to see how much a long weekend will cost you. The most expensive stretch of water in the world is the Solent.

The bridge/tunnel debate crops every other few months and is very split.

One half and generally the younger generation want it and the other half generally the older generation don't.

I sit on the fence myself. I can see both the pros and cons for having one but if I was honest don't think they'll ever build one.

Any views on Clipstone/Ollerton anybody ???

Many thanks

The bridge/tunnel debate crops every other few months and is very split.

One half and generally the younger generation want it and the other half generally the older generation don't.

I sit on the fence myself. I can see both the pros and cons for having one but if I was honest don't think they'll ever build one.

Any views on Clipstone/Ollerton anybody ???

Many thanks

They'r not gonna build a bridge there are they? ;)

Ollerton, the last time I visited (a long time ago) was the most depressing place I ever visited. 1984 hit Ollerton hard, like many mining areas.

A person who worked in that area told me that residents did not wear wristwatches, just gloom meters!

It must have improved since I last visited.

Would Clipstone meet this criteria ?

Quite a lot of people i work with have moved out to Clipstone you'll get a lot of house for less money especially on a new build .

Thanks radfordred.

We'll be heading up there towards the end of the month to have a good look around. Would you say its more rural at Clipstone?

• 2 weeks later...

...its not all bad news though. I have a school chum who lives on Matlock Ave., in Mansfield. Met some locals on a visit-seemed very nice people.Houses very reasonable for Uk.,close to town centre.Have a look. B)

Hiya,

Yep, there's only two good things to come out of Shirebrook, 1 is the new Sportsworld HQ (although most people whatever their age now dress like chavs, cos the stuff's cheap lmao) and 2, all the roads out of the place.

Andthats coming from someone who lives in Shirebrook. (had some chav/yobs standing in front of the car tonight, shooting their mouths off, was gonna run em all over, but had the toddler in the car with me, otherwise i would have done. and jesus, get the camera out, actually had a riot van searching for yobs) we never see police around here, unless somethings happened. and then not for hours/days after.

better not to come to Shirebrook, its totally crap. trust me.

better not to come to Shirebrook, its totally crap. trust me.

Oh, I don't know - since I did a job at the Derbyshire in the Square and got a £80 fine for drivin' into the square after 10am, I can't wait to go back smile2smile2

Nice butchers though on the corner next to the Derbyshire. Love that hot mix they call DOG. mmmmmm :crazy:

...and why would you buy in Notts?

City misses out on house price boom

1 Feb: House prices in Nottingham are among the lowest in the country and have hardly risen in the last year, according to a new survey. Political Editor Charles Walker reports on good news for first-time buyers, but a potentially worrying time for those who want to sell :angry:

1 Feb: House prices in Nottingham are among the lowest in the country and have hardly risen in the last year, according to a new survey. Political Editor Charles Walker reports on good news for first-time buyers, but a potentially worrying time for those who want to sell :angry:

!rulez! Just put mine on market.. :angry:

1 Feb: House prices in Nottingham are among the lowest in the country and have hardly risen in the last year, according to a new survey. Political Editor Charles Walker reports on good news for first-time buyers, but a potentially worrying time for those who want to sell  :angry:

!rulez! Just put mine on market.. :angry:

Could aways chuck in a Flymo Turbo Compact 330 ??

FLTC330.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well we viewed 8 houses last weekend and I must say you have lots and lots of competiton up there which may be the reason houses are not selling so quickly.

It is a slight concern however that Notts hasn't seen the same increases as other parts of the UK.

Living in area where we are constantly matching or outperforming the national average, house buying here is a great investment.

Nevertheless we still plan to do this move but maybe buy a cheaper place and keep enough back to do a buy to let on the IOW.

p.s areas we viewed in were Mansfield woodhouse, Mansfield (Berry Hill area) and a couple in Forest Town.

Just make sure you don't buy a house where there is a liability of subsidence, there were plenty of Collieries in that area!