Anything Political

Perhaps he has other ways of expressing joy?

Re ‘expressing joy’

’After very carefully expressing joy in suitable language, my Indo-Japanese servant brewed my coffee.’ 

It’s amazing what lies in the depths of the memory. It’s a mnemonic for the anterior venous system of the frog.

That’s a useless piece of information!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why do you feel the need to influence others? What is your motivation for so doing? Is it because you think you know better than they? Is it because it feeds your ego if and when you succeed?  Is it b

True enough but none quite so 'in your face' or as blatant. To paraphrase Mone "I didn't lie to hide the the fact we're making £60 million and hiding it in a trust, it was to to protect my family

HSR: Col is given a 'free rein to spout his opinions' for exactly the reasons you are, only he does so with more civility.   Recently there have been a couple of attacks on the validity of t

Jim. I'll come back on the rise of the far right later.

As for Galloway. The only person Galloway is working for is Galloway. He's a Pound Shop Farage with a similar record of failed parties and incoherent rantings.

I very much doubt he'll survive the next election, but it makes little difference eitherway.

And meanwhile...

Rishi Sunak is standing outside Downing Street saying that the newly chosen MP for Rochdale, elected yesterday, is the reason why he must crush our democratic freedoms. In the process he appeals to theocracy whilst totally undermining the democracy he claims to support.

The reality is that if there are extremists in the country it is those members of his party who want to create divisions in this country for their own small minded gains.

Worse, he appeals to our history as imperialist colonisers and deniers of freedom to billions to justify his position. If he wished to cause offence, that commentary is clearly intended to deliver it and is utterly blind to the prejudice created by economic and social division in our society

….

This is a very dark day for the UK. This feels like the rollout of fascism has begun because the conditions he is attaching to the continued, supposed, right to protest that he describes are ones that he knows no-one could ever be sure they can meet.”

9 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I love the quote from George Galloway.

'Keir Starmer and Rishi Sunak are two cheeks from the same backside!' :biggrin:

Indeed, and like everything else he says, superficially 'right on', but fundamentally meaningless. He trades on that sort of drivel.

He's a smooth operator and a con man 'par excellence', but he ultimately lacks substance.

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

I very much doubt he'll survive the next election, but it makes little difference eitherway.

A big question for me is not only Gallaway being elected but elected by whom and why, where does his support come from? 

The main plank of his policy seems to be Gaza, - why? What does he think he can do about it. With a high Muslim count in Rochdale did Gaza hold any sway within their community?

Is there an unspoken but growing antisemite trend among voters? Delicate questions, but worth a thought and Galloway has been sacked for antisemitic broadcasts.

Did the dumping of the Labour candidate bring about a backlash?

One thing we can't do is ignore him, he has the wit, the ambition plus £millions, and he can't be thrown out of the chamber by his boss.

59 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Rishi Sunak is standing outside Downing Street saying that the newly chosen MP

Quote from??

On 3/1/2024 at 10:52 AM, Alpha said:

Whoever attempts to govern this once greater country and from whatever political spectrum they represent, I seriously doubt this country will ever achieve what has been lost.

Well obviously. 

We used to rule and plunder half of the World, now we don't and in many respects we are now getting our 'come uppance'. I see no simple way out of that mess.

What is certain is that ALL empires fall, sooner or later and that history shows that 'sooner' is becoming the norm. Empires which used to last thousands and then hundreds of years, now last merely decades. ( Compare the Roman and Grecian to the Ottoman, Austro Hungarian, British, then the Russian/Soviet.)

Meanwhile our mighty leaders have continued to behave as if we are still 'Top Dog' and have continued to involve us in foreign adventures which have always come back to bite us.

There's been much debate since WW2 as to what sort of 'post colonial' country we should become. We seem to have always got it wrong. 

(I'll make an exception for the Falklands, which was basically a massive coincidence of opportunism used by Galtieri in a failed attempt to boost his position and a 'Gift' to Thatcher, whose political fortunes benefitted hugely from 'patriotic' fervour.)

In the 'post colonial' period, especially since WW2, we have struggled to find our (proper) place in the World. We emerged from WW2 broke, but still highly industrialised and at the forefront of Technology. Sadly, our Technology was largely squandered and our industry badly managed (And not just under Nationalisation)

Geopolitically, our best move was joining the EU and becoming part of a Geographically and Economically strong and coherent grouping.

Leaving the EU has not produced a single benefit, but many penalties and has left us exposed, hanging onto the coat tails of an increasingly divided and undemocratic America.

Indecisiveness, incompetence, corruption and weakness are just a few traits that have drawn the country down into the mire of bankruptcy and poverty we are becoming used to today.

Not sure about 'indecisiveness'. I'd say rather too much of that under Thatcher led to the final destruction of our industrial base and of the Social Democracy which served us well from 1945. That woman was solely responsible for creating the 'short termist', greed driven and socially divisive economic environment in which we now exist.

The wokeists, the fanatical mutants and the ever-present handwringing snivelling ‘do gooders’ have been allowed to thrive and spawn so we have lost control of our nationality, pride, moral conduct and the tenacity to stand up and confront these anti-nationalists and other global threats with dignity and conviction.

Far too simplistic, but a typical 'Little Englander' diatribe'.  I have no idea what a 'fanatical mutant' is. The 'anti-nationalists' which so perturb you are either one and the same as the dark forces of international Neo Con Economic manipulation of our economy, or it's public facing shills, like Farage, Rees Mogg, Jenrick, Anderson, Truss/Kwarteng and now Sunak who whip up petty 'patriotism' and jingoism, laced with thinly disguised racism and religious intolerance, as a 'front', for their real objectives.

All forms of governments have treated drugs and crime, in general, as school boy antics where to day our streets are being taken over by unchallenged murderers, criminals and the where the ever growing anti-social element face little, if any justice, for their crime.

And yet, our Government seems far more interested in suppressing our hard won right to protest, than in actually tackling crime and anti social behaviour.  What does that tell you?

We are hardly unique in failing to control drug trafficking and use. If there was no demand, there would be no supply. What do you suggest?

Recently we have seen whole life sentences handed down to a number of murderers including Wayne Cousins. I fully support that, but not the Death Penalty, which I assume is what you mean by 'terminal' punishment.

Who is it that has cut our Police Force to the bone?

13 hours ago, Brew said:

A big question for me is not only Gallaway being elected but elected by whom and why, where does his support come from? 

Judging by comments from local Rochdalians, he seems to have successfully conned many local Muslims.

13 hours ago, Brew said:

The main plank of his policy seems to be Gaza, - why? What does he think he can do about it. With a high Muslim count in Rochdale did Gaza hold any sway within their community?

In short.. Yes.

13 hours ago, Brew said:

Is there an unspoken but growing antisemite trend among voters? Delicate questions, but worth a thought and Galloway has been sacked for antisemitic broadcasts.

I don't doubt that he tapped into 'Pro Palestinian' and 'Anti-Israeli' sentiment. Whether those factors really translate into 'Pro Hamas' and 'Anti Semitism' is a moot point. He also tapped into the failure of both Tory and Labour to 'get off the fence'.

13 hours ago, Brew said:

Did the dumping of the Labour candidate bring about a backlash?

Rochdale is 74% white, with the remaining 26% being 'non White' of which 18% are Muslim.

Galloway seems to have gained from Labour, but the ethnicity/religion of his support is difficult to discover.

13 hours ago, Brew said:

One thing we can't do is ignore him, he has the wit, the ambition plus £millions, and he can't be thrown out of the chamber by his boss.

All true, but most see through him so that he gains little traction in more 'normal' elections.

13 hours ago, Brew said:

Quote from??

Sorry, I slipped on my usual fastidiousness re: quoting sources. Originated by your old friend Richard Murphy on 1st March.

I know you disagree with his assessment of economics. Do you feel the same about his assessment of the Tory anti democratic hardening, just like they do every time they gain power? This is all tied in with the Rise of the Far Right, which I WILL come back on.

He nailed it even more comprehensively on 2nd March.

I wish I could get the whole thing to show withouit resorting to a link, as I know many won't open them, but this stuff is important.

I imagine you will dismiss much of it as a 'hysterical diatribe' or somesuch, but it ALL rings true to me.

People need to wake up.

•                         
      Tax Research UK Blog is written by Richard Murphy unless otherwise stated and published by Tax Research LLP under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.

Design by Andy Moyle

• Richard Murphy

Screenshot-2022-03-13-at-18.11.36-550x61

Read more about me

• Support This Site

If you like what I do please support me on Ko-fi using credit or deb

•  

logo-323x96-1.png Richard Murphy

The Tory view of British values

Posted on March 2 2024

Rishi Sunak spoke yesterday of the need for the government, police and others to stand up against those who oppose British values. But, just what are those values? Based upon careful consideration of his governments, comments, conduct and legislation, it would seem that they include:

• Racism
      • Discrimination, of all sorts
      • A tolerance of :
        • Misogyny
        • Increasing inequality
        • Climate change denial
        • Wealth built upon slavery and colonial exploitation
        • English nationalism to the exclusion of the Welsh, Scottish and people of Northern Ireland
        • Economic exploitation
        • Corruption
        • Genocide
        • Tax havens
        • Hunting with dogs
      • Undermining of the rule of law
      • Vilification of public servants
      • Vote rigging and gerrymandering
      • A refusal to honour legal obligations
      • A dislike of:
        • Those who work for a living
        • Social housing
        • The young
        • Those on low incomes
        • Those with disabilities
        • Single parents
        • Any type of non-heterosexual orientation
      • Intolerance of
        • The SNP
        • Plaid Cymru
        • The Green Party
        • Scotland
        • Wales
        • Northern Ireland
        • Ireland
        • The EU and all its member states
        • State schools
        • Libraries
        • Theatre
        • The arts
        • The NHS
        • Anyone claiming a benefit, including the state pension, unless they also have a significant private pension as well, when doing so is just fine
      • Those who are members of:
        • The National Trust
        • RSPB
        • Oxfam
        • XR
        • A Wildlife Trust
        • Any faith but Christianity and Judaism, but with an honourable pass being given for Hindus right now

In contrast, it would seem that supporting the following are all clear indications of holding an opinion contrary to British values:

• Free and fair elections
      • Proportional representation
      • An end to discrimination in the right to vote
      • An end to discrimination, full stop
      • Respect for human rights
      • Respect for the rule of law
      • Justice
      • A right to economic and social equality
      • Free speech
      • The right to protest
      • Action to tackle climate change
      • Support for the Green New Deal
      • Religious tolerance
      • Social tolerance
      • National self-determination
      • The right to have enough to eat
      • The right to a roof over your head
      • Speed limits
      • Peace

+39

Thanks for reading this post.
      You can share this post on social media of your choice by clicking these icons:

You can subscribe to this blog's daily email here.

And if you would like to support this blog you can, here:

3 Responses

1. Ian Tresman says:

To me, it looks like Tory values are based on “Us and them”, whereas more left-wing values are “for the many, not the few”.
        One is exclusive, the other inclusive.

+7
      CLIVE PARRY says:

A very pithy summary. Excellent.

Sunak is attempting to re-frame largely peaceful protests around Gaza as an 'attack on Democracy', when it is plain to me that the real threat to democracy is this increasingly repressive and increasingly Far Right Govt.

37 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

But, just what are those values? Based upon careful consideration of his governments, comments, conduct and legislation, it would seem that they include:

Apart from missing out walking on the grass, parking charges and potholes what is he actually saying? That these things are wrong? That these are things we as a nation should be ashamed of? That the right to a roof over our heads ranks alongside speed limits?

You're right i think it's a diatribe, a mishmash of a list that claims intolerance of the arts. theatre and the NHS among other things - by whom? I'm surprised you haven't challenged him for evidence as I'm sure you would had he been a Tory. 

It's a wishlist of a wannbe radical who from a very comfortable life style does little more than pander to those less articulate and feel disenchanted with life who will cheer him from the sidelines whilst he snipes at the establishment.

He's the balm that soothes their frustrations and desire to be part of something greater than they are.

Does he offer one word, one single suggestion of a solution to any anything at all? no - and then has the temerity to ask for money.

DJ.

I won’t quote it in full as it’s too long and unworthy but the post by Richard Murphy ‘A Tory view of British values’ is utter tripe. I’m surprised that you, DJ, with you claimed centre left (left left left) stance would entertain such left wing clap trap. I’m no fan of the political thread on what is a NOTSTALGIA site and this typifies why. 

The ‘peacefull’ protests include banners with paragliders thereon and projecting the slogan ‘from the river to the sea’ on the HP. Eggs thrown. Yet the threat to democracy according to you is the far right. I think most of us know what the elephant in the room is. Peaceful. Dream on. 

2 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

I’m no fan of the political thread on what is a NOTSTALGIA site and this typifies why. 

It's been said before, many times, that pure Notts content would have seen  the site run out steam long ago.

What are the Notts topic?

Music - no 

Yu tube clips - no

word games- no

Buses, trucks planes and automobiles, etc. etc. .................   no no no

What irks you about politics is the fact you hold your own views and when challenged, or you disagree with the post you, don't like it,(as with some others).

Occasionally you can't resist and make some quite relevant posts, but if the topic is such an anathema, why?

The people of Notts have opinions on everything under the sun and are free to express them here and elsewhere as and when they choose. We even have a topic on quantum ttheory!

Like a famous newspaper once said "all human life is here". You don't like it - don't read it.

• Like 3

Agree with most of your comments Brew..............there are some topics on here that i'm not 'Fussed about....and have no Notts connections..but 'hey does it really matter........its a Notts person that wrote it (mostly).......

When i contribute to any of the music and Dance topics i do try and include summat to do with Notts.......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Sunak is attempting to re-frame largely peaceful protests around Gaza as an 'attack on Democracy', when it is plain to me that the real threat to democracy is this increasingly repressive and increasingly Far Right Govt.

As someone who sees dark forces at play and conspiracy theories I'm surprised you cannot see behind the Gaza protests. Do you truly believe they are spontaneous expressions of popular protests?

To my mind they are simply too big, too well organised and must cost far more than any protest movement of the modern era.

10 minutes ago, Brew said:

It's been said before, many times, that pure Notts content would have seen  the site run out steam long ago.

Although it's called Nottstalgia - which implies Nottingham and the past - the nostalgia thing was only part of what Mick2me was thinking when he started the site.

If you look at some of the very early posts and threads starting in 2004, it's amazing what was mentioned and discussed. There was probably more non-Nottingham material back then than there is now. (and over the years I've deleted some of the space-wasting topics which had accumulated).

I think mick2me even had a politic thread right back at the start...

• Like 1

There were many political posts and threads in the early days - even though the number of members was hardly into double figures.

People would start a thread on any old subject - political or otherwise - and then just rant. Nothing was in moderation; loony extremism was rife.

That's one reason I've cleared up old material. Most of the threads only ran for a few days with a few posts, but some of the comments made were way beyond anything you'd see today.

• Like 1

Re: Mick2Me. He did..and an awful lot of pro Brexit stuff.

I don't recall much complaint back then...

51 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

some of the comments made were way beyond anything you'd see today.

Which is why, during the 'no politics' period, whenever I challenged comments based on prejudices and stereotypes, I got accused of 'making it political', when in fact it already was.

The politics thread allows ALL MEMBERS to comment on or discuss politics, without it disrupting other topics. All that is required is adherence to the site AUP and keeping things civil.

• Like 1

I'm on my phone at the moment which isn't really conducive to political discussion.

However I just watched a very interesting  t.v. prog about Nottingham, describing a situation in which people were exploited, underpaid and many in extreme poverty. Their employment was insecure and being poor was seen as their fault. Social and financial inequality was maintained by those in power. Politics was corrupt and protest was met by armed force.

'Walking Victorian Britain' Channel 5 and on My5

The extremes may have changed but the underlying power resides largely with the descendents of the same corrupt people.

Interesting but not to sure about corrupt. Undoubted some were but I would hazard a guess most were simply of their time.

Reading Dickens, Pepys or Trollope etc. even the good guys would not stand up to modern mores and attitudes.

It's easy to condemn over the passage of time, especially from a socialist viewpoint, but judging the societal norms of almost 200 hundred years ago is always going to appear scandalous from wherever you stand.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Brew said:

What are the Notts topic?

Music - no 

Yu tube clips - no

word games- no

Buses, trucks planes and automobiles, etc. etc. .................   no no no

What irks you about politics is the fact you hold your own views and when challenged, or you disagree with the post you, don't like it,(as with some others).

Occasionally you can't resist and make some quite relevant posts, but if the topic is such an anathema, why?

The people of Notts have opinions on everything under the sun and are free to express them here and elsewhere as and when they choose. We even have a topic on quantum ttheory!

Like a famous newspaper once said "all human life is here". You don't like it - don't read it.

I said I’m not a fan of it. I have accepted it and the reason it exists. I didn’t say or suggest banning it so you telling me that the people of Nottingham are free to express their opinion is misplaced and unnecessary as I didn’t suggest otherwise. Reasoned political discussion which is frankly dominated by you and dj may be one thing and interesting for others to read and occasionally comment. DJ has point when he says quote:

Which is why, during the 'no politics' period, whenever I challenged comments based on prejudices and stereotypes, I got accused of 'making it political', when in fact it already was.

end quote.

Fair enough.

I generally skip read the political thread and rarely comment but when I read a list of British values which include tolerance of misogyny, racism etc

then it is not my right as ‘a person of Nottingham’ to express my opinion even if that opinion is that it’s left wing clap trap with no place here. It wasn’t  part of a ‘reasoned political argument but a link to what even dj himself said, will probably be dismissed as a ‘hysterical diatribe’. 

Above should read towards the end,

is it not my right ………

NOT

it is not my right………

Apologies, spotted too late to edit.