Is 2023 going to be a good year in the garden

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have one less PLANTPOT with a flowering plant in this morning........my lovely widow next door has been quite ill lately....So i placed my 'Pot' right in front of her bedroom window late last night.

My garden is looking colourful now, a bit earlier than previous years but I'm not complaining     Three different Roses in the front garden,(yellow, pink, white) Lupin

I’ve just been trying to clear a very weedy patch that was formerly a mint bed. I thought it would be better to pull the weeds out rather than strim them off. I used my long leverage weed puller. The

On 6/21/2023 at 3:53 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I stood in the garden last night watching Jemima the hedgehog troughing her supper and was aware of the overpowering scent of honeysuckle, which I love. The mystery is, my honeysuckle isn't in flower yet!

Jill Sparrow, Jill Sparrow, I spotted a young hedgehog at the back of my border around 8 o’clock having looked for any for weeks since the mother was nest building. Pretty light for this one to be out though.

• Like 1

Is it a baby?  I took food out a couple of nights ago. It wasn't dark but my smaller hog was sitting where I always put the plate, as if to say, "Come on, I want my supper!". Before he could eat it, Jezebel the cat appeared and scoffed most of it so I had to dish up some more!  It's like Dr Doolittle's diner round here at night.

• Like 1

It’s quite small Jill. I have the same problem as my cat is in the garden, just been eating grass and now being sick on the patio - lovely! Fur balls I think but I don’t want her eating the hedgehog food at the mo.

I saw my little hog at 21.35 this evening. Still more than light enough to observe. He's one of last summer's babies and won't be an adult until next year. You can hear him crunching his cat biscuits from quite a distance away. I love to see him enjoying his food.

• Like 1

Saw this little fella the other week when I was out walking, it was mid afternoon and quite a warm day, he/she was just scratching about in the undergrowth, she/he must have been all of three inches nose to tail, good luck little "Hoglet"

Sorry about the photo quality

DSCF2243.jpg

Rog

• Like 3

Thing is, it's not good if they are out in the daytime, but what do you do?

Had a hedgehog in our garden, built a home out of pallets carpet and leaves, and he/she took to it, over winter.

Following June, during lockdown, clearly had a leg injury, nowhere open, else would have taken to a hospital.

I take comfort in that he/she had some great meals, sloppy cat food, on a bed of dried crunchy fishy food (smelt awful) both from Wilko's.

They can eat an incredible amount.

Lived for about 4 months..

Buried in the garden, never know in 14 years time, another one might show up.

• Like 1

You should NEVER feed a hedgehog any kind of food containing fish. Cat food often contains fish, so need to read the contents very carefully.  Some years ago, I found an autumn juvenile who was tiny. Despite best efforts, it did not survive. It was tiny but even hedgehog rescue centres rarely succeed with those born late in the year. However, we have to try. They need our help. After all, it's we who have ruined their environment, along with that of just about every other wild creature.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Have put dried cat food out as spotted a large hedgehog earlier which is now on its second plateful! Hopefully it’s the momma.

Also very noisy Jill. I’m very pleased too. The way forward for me is dried catfood especially with a bit of rain on it. They certainly let you know when they’re around.

Apparently you can bake them if you surround them with clay. When you break open the clay, the spikes come away too. Quite nice with a Merlot. With asparagus tips on the side.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Beekay as Jill says wash your mouth out. Lovely creatures that remind me of my childhood at Tollerton when they were a normal occurrence in the garden and we used to put down bread land milk for them,  Now  not the thing to do with hindsight but they survived at the time. Now they are so rare to see. Am so lucky to have them.

Alright ladies, I'll make do with a bag of chips and some gravy. :rolleyes:

Good night and God Bless to you both.xx

• Like 2

A regular little visitor to the back garden,think it spends most of it's time in the wild flower/flower bed near the end of my garden, it appears most evenings for a small bowl of dried meal worms and a drink of water

P1090402_(2).jpg

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just for Jill S., and Mrs.Bubblegum...

This is what happens when you overfeed your visitors,

Screenshot-20230722-102506-Google.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

You gonna need a lot of clay to cover specimen mate and a forest fire to cook it in

Rog

IMG-1977.jpg
look at this little hoglet so cute, surely must be this years Jill ? 
Beekay you clearly didn’t wash your mouth out yesterday.

• Like 2

Mrs.B., do think your little fella would like a 35min ride on my rotisserie? 

(Think I might be chancing me luck here. And skating on thin ice).

• Like 1

Think I might “unfriend” you if you carry on. I know you’re only trying to wind me up - very funny. How do you know it’s a fella? Might be a lady.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Beekay said:

Mrs.B., do think your little fella would like a 35min ride on my rotisserie? 

(Think I might be chancing me luck here. And skating on thin ice).

I did hear they taste a bit like domestic cat, probably all the cat food they eat slywink

Rog