Depressing and sad news

This news is very sad and upsetting

Many moons ago my son wanted a motor bike, at the time it was what the boys had, I told him to wait and then I would put some money towards it, but in reality I did not want him to have one. 

A friend of ours had lost her husband and she had an elder son who had left home years before. She also had another son just a year older than my boy,  He had had a motor bike and coming round a bend lost control and went into a brick wall. He lost his life. Then about 2 weeks later my son's best friend also lost his life riding on his motor bike,  The only good thing to come out of it was my son never asked to have a motor bike again.

• Like 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a lot of it going on in the past and people got away with it, because it was easier to stay under the radar.    Now there’s a much wider public awareness of what can happen;  peopl

And then there are instances where the allegations are totally unfounded. On my final TP in a small village school, a fellow student (male, tall, not particularly good looking but well built and sport

Sadly. Nonna, child abuse was just as bad if not worse in our day and earlier. The investigations into abuse in children's homes (in which I was involved) were horrendous. Child sexual exploitation st

Mary a similar thing happened with my son but fortunately didn’t result in death. When we came to live here in 1988 my son was at the age he wanted to go out meet up with his friends etc. We bought him a moped as all his friends had them and because we don’t have a bus service living in the country and a long way to walk into centre.  He had taken his moped to change a tyre and was going to see his aunt when turning a corner he slid on the ice and went almost into a plate glass shop front. I was at home thinking that he and my husband were late. When they returned they didn’t tell me that they’d been at the hospital. He suffered shock and injuries to his back. Nothing drastic but enough to tell himself not to progress to a motorbike. 

I understand nonnaB

• 2 months later...

Is there a separate thread which discusses the Nottingham parts of the report last year by Prof Alexis Jay for her Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Inquiry_into_Child_Sexual_Abuse

https://www.iicsa.org.uk/reports-recommendations/publications/inquiry/final-report.html

I worked for the Nottingham Child Protection Team for some years and was one of several people who worked on the historical abuse cases. At one point, this was such a large part of our work that it was all I did. Sickening and depressing, yes. It certainly makes you realise how fortunate you have been never to encounter such people and situations.

The spineless, always knew more, my Aunty travelled with vulnerable children in the back of a 

Police Car. Always referenced certain houses, all WB.. about 1984??

There was a symbolism around the canal at this point.. small flags in trees, carvings etc. 

5 hours ago, HSR said:

The spineless, always knew more, my Aunty travelled with vulnerable children in the back of a Police Car. Always referenced certain houses, all WB.. about 1984?? There was a symbolism around the canal at this point.. small flags in trees, carvings etc.

That sort of organisation and communication between perpetrators is shocking. Why don't we in Nottingham hear more about these allegations and findings in the local media? The local news outlets say little and the general awareness of what's happened seems remarkably low. There is more about Nottingham's past history of child abuse in the national news than local.

I ask because I live not far from the old "Beechwood Community Home" on Woodborough Road and was shocked to hear about what had gone on there for years (admittedly many years ago) without us locals realising. However, as I try to find out more, I discover there's not much. Maybe it's me?

On 10/31/2023 at 1:07 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

I worked for the Nottingham Child Protection Team for some years and was one of several people who worked on the historical abuse cases. At one point, this was such a large part of our work that it was all I did. Sickening and depressing, yes. It certainly makes you realise how fortunate you have been never to encounter such people and situations.

Frankly I don't wish to be sickened with the details but, on the other hand, I am concerned that there should be some degree of local awareness to prevent such things happening again under our noses. I rarely if ever hear of local perpetrators being identified. There must have been many of them but they appear to have gone to ground and will never have to account for their behaviours. Yet they are most likely still around.

Many are deceased. Some have moved overseas and some are brought to account for their crimes. In many cases, they just can't be identified.  Sadly, professions who work with children and young people will always attract those who are out to abuse. Weeding them out would be simple if they all had 'child abuser' branded on their foreheads...but they don't. And it isn't that simple, either.  

• Like 1

Indi Gregory. Hope Ospedale Bambino Gesù can help you. Don’t know quite what to make of QMC. Parents must be out of their minds with worry.

On 11/2/2023 at 11:36 AM, Dreamon said:

I am concerned that there should be some degree of local awareness to prevent such things happening again under our noses. I rarely if ever hear of local perpetrators being identified.

How do you propose we do that, and how would it prevent future episodes? Identifying perpetrators (naming and shaming), is, apart from being on dodgy ground legally, like the old adage, 'closing the stable door after the horse has  bolted'.

You say you were unaware of a problem locally and shocked when you were, why did you not know? if those living close are unaware how can we reasonably expect anyone else to know?

On 11/2/2023 at 2:04 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

.  Sadly, professions who work with children and young people will always attract those who are out to abuse.

Is their career choice calculated? 

Iv'e always wondered...

I had encounters with PE teachers at school, sent to a cold small pool, cold water, made to wait, and then made to jump up & down spraying hot water pump up my arse..

At the time, as a seven year old thought nothing of it.

Played school foolball, top group, hence school team, six a side, said teacher in goal.

Teacher side 2-0 down, five minutes to go..he lost the plot pushing 9 year's olds out the way.. with new schoolteacher backup..

The determination and angst, I knew I'd had a lucky escape in that pool..(we fought back)

Until very recently (last decade) I thought this was standard back than.. I still do.

Said new teacher kicked me for walking too slow, bottom of my spine..unable to walk properly for a while and hospital.

This sounds like nonsense but it's not, just how things were... I think.

I didn't give it much of a thought until people now highlight it. 

One of the most difficult aspects of the historical abuse cases was those who brought allegations of physical abuse. Corporal punishment was legal and widely implemented until relatively recent days and it has to be remembered that present day laws cannot be applied retrospectively to events that happened fifty years ago, for example.  Some were, possibly, hoping to gain financial compensation for having been rapped over the knuckles with a ruler, which wasn't what the investigation was about.

The purpose was to identify and apprehend those who had perpetrated extreme physical abuse, sexual abuse and emotional abuse, which didn't include being told to stand in the corner or wear a dunce's hat.  It was about far more serious stuff than that.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

wear a dunce's hat.

Your previous references prior to my quote were investigated...

Resulting in a 6 year prison sentence..

Obviously, It's a delicate subject.

But i do find your attitude somewhat blase..

How can the uk government refuse the appeal of Indi’s parents to bring her to Italy to attempt to save her life. They shouldn’t interrupt the appeal as Indi is now an Italian citizen. 
The reporters now on the news are so upset about it and a few newsreaders are in tears. How can they do this when the parents want to take her to Italy surely it’s the parents decision not the government. 

• Like 1

I quite agree nonna. I've never understood the concept of letting someone die on the pretext that it's 'in their best interests', It's totally alien to my way of thinking.

There has been a new 'Child Act' virtually every year since the early the'90s, nowhere in them have I ever seen that letting a child die is OK.

The baby has been granted permission to go to Rome, however long she has I hope her days are the best they can be.

Just a while ago on news they said that UK government had refused but a debate that followed said there may be a slight possibility that she could come here. Hope that’s true. The hospital in Rome is supposed to be the best for child care. They have had quite a few almost hopeless cases and were able to save the babies. Hope you are right Brew I’m stuck on news for updates.

On 11/8/2023 at 3:50 PM, Brew said:

The baby has been granted permission to go to Rome

It seems this was mis-reported and the child cannot even go home. What little I know of the case grieves me more than somewhat.

It’s so heart breaking. It makes you wonder if by cutting her life support off are they trying to save money and wages. Her parents must be going through hell. A little while ago it seemed as everything was being put into Italy’s hands but once again it’s NO. Giorgia Meloni has asked for some convention AIA to intervene but once again UK high court has given its answer. Not quite sure what the latest is but think they’ve even said she can’t go home to die. It seems that they The Powers that be have no feelings and hearts of stone.

How does the saying go “ where there’s life there’s hope.  “. Today an Italian reporter was interviewing the father and he said they knew of 2 people one in Canada and the other in Germany that had the same illness and one was already 30 yrs old.

im sorry I’ve gone on about it but practically the whole of Italy have adopted this tiny girl. Haven’t these courts got guilty consciences. How many times has this story gone forward only to take a dozen steps back.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who knew Ermette Conti , today we heard that Irena his wife has died. We don’t know any details but apparently it’s in the papers possibly Notts evening post. May she rest in peace.