Inside the Undertakers, Lymns

I only noticed this the other day, obviously not “fun” for the person who has died or their near ones but those who attend the event always have nice (hopefully) memories of the person who has passed although nothing makes up for the loss.
“Fun” is clearly not the right word but it is an interesting twist on our english language.

Must get this trait from my dad who always completed the telegraph crossword every day and was great at splitting words up and anagrams.  

Talking of fun at funerals...About two years ago 'er indoors and myself attended a service for our neighbour, Betty, at Heathfield crematorium. After the service and viewing of the flowers etc., we were all heading for our vehicles and saying cheerio to Bettys relatives, when all of a sudden 'er indoors said , " Cor, I can smell toast. Can anybody else smell toast"? As one we all looked up at the smoking chimney and everybody around burst out laughing. Tina, bless her was oblivious to what she'd said. I had to remind her where we were. All true, honest !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Barrie we had the same thing happen for the first time that I have ever experienced it at a funeral this year. 
Maybe that’s the norm now? I thought it was really bad form at the time.

And why not Mrs.B ? After all you go to celebrate a life and say goodbye. In our case, she was a lovely neighbour and it was a priviledge knowing her. If we grieve, it's only for what we've lost.

On 11/10/2023 at 10:22 PM, Beekay said:

Cheers Mrs.Buttercup.x

Morning Beekay  I think it is very hard to accept when a child/son/daughter passes away before you. I see one of my cousin's  quite a lot she also lost one of her boys, at the time he was in his early 20s . Unless you have been though that situation no-one can say how you feel.  My heart goes out to my cousin as it broke up their marriage and the other son has not spoken to her since, the good thing that as come out of it though is that the other son has not stopped her from seeing her grandson, so see keeps in contact with him.                                                                                                                    

Heyup Mary47, none of us expect to outlive our kids. But these things happen. I don't regret one minute of my life with my sons, however, my biggest heartache is, that I'll never be a grandad. To never know what it feels like to have ones grandkids come to visit you is awful. This is why I advertised on here, if anybody wanted to adopt a grandad, nearly new and never used. Also why we keep a low profile over Christmas, as this is the time we feel it most. B.

• Like 1

I don't intend to have a funeral. I want no long faces mooching around grieving for me and I'd better not spot any grinning from ear to ear with glee that I've shuffled off! They can do what they like with my worn out shell. I didn't arrive with a fanfare and I shan't be leaving with one, either. Undertaking seems to be going down the road of spectacle and ever increasing expense.  The money will be going to Cats Protection instead.

• Like 4

I went to a burial at Prestwold Natural Burial ground this year. No service and just a knees up afterwards. Think it’s the way forward.

21 hours ago, Beekay said:

Heyup Mary47, none of us expect to outlive our kids. But these things happen. I don't regret one minute of my life with my sons, however, my biggest heartache is, that I'll never be a grandad. To never know what it feels like to have ones grandkids come to visit you is awful. This is why I advertised on here, if anybody wanted to adopt a grandad, nearly new and never used. Also why we keep a low profile over Christmas, as this is the time we feel it most. B.

Hi Beekay   yes I agree with what you say, maybe its some  thing to think about as their must be a lot of children out there who would like a grandad ,  Just some thing that I remember when my eldest married Nina his wife had lost her father 2 years before, she sat down with my hubby and just said. now, I can adopt you as my new father. Things like this always stick in your mind,

• Like 2

When I'm gone after a few days folk will say you know her ? her with the blond hair,   you know who i mean, Now what was her name , you know  she would rabbit on and on about nothing, 

Having said that I had set up my place at Lymn's years  ago at the time if you pre-booked your funeral they added money vouches who could resist.

So people can wear whatever colour cloths they want and all I have chosen are all the songs that I like but the song tell my life story. No reading about your life  from someone who has never met you when you were alive.

The reason master and I have  paid for our time up there, was that my mum and dad had done the same  and at the time we just said why!!  pay for it upfront?. Then  when it was mum and dad's funeral we were so grateful  as at the time money was short. We did not spend a penny. You hear people afterwards talk about weddings parties ect, never funerals  At Dads funeral as people walked into the crem i gave them a hankie "What is this for they asked?" Lets just say its not for tears?  Well as most of you know my dad was a pub singer  I loved to hear him sing the song, Good-bye well as the curtain closed David Whitfield started to sing and everyone got the idea and waved there hankies, God bless Walter sleep tight.

• Like 3