Just found a jar of raspberry jam at the back of the cupboard. The date on it is Nov 2020. That date is neither use by or sell by. Will it be OK to use? I had another that was Jan 2020. That had been part used but even that hadn't got any of the usual white mould that you get on an opened jam jar that has been forgotten. I have binned that one in nay event.

Can't see why an unopened jar should'nt be alright, it's only sugar after all. Simplest thing is to taste a bit. If it tastes okay and no side effects then use it. If its sour or bitter then bin it. If your'e making jam tarts etc, the oven will put it right.

Old jam can crystalise but as said before sugar can preserve it but if it’s unopened just tentatively taste it. I made some mincemeat 3 years ago ( I thought it was 2 yrs ago but on checking it’s 3) I used a jar the first year then forgot about it but I recently used it and it was delicious. I preserve a lot of fruit and veg and I’ve never been poisoned. Just be careful. I preserved some dried tomatoes last year. I soaked them to get rid of the extra salt dried them well placed them in jars and topped with EVO. Ready to add to any dish.

On 12/21/2023 at 12:33 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Jam contains so much sugar that it's probably perfectly alright...not that I'm telling you to eat it, mind!

Correct Jill,

High sugar containing products like jam, honey and golden syrup have a low water activity and don't undergo microbial spoilage although they can go mouldy.

There's plenty about water activity and food spoilage on the internet.

Best before dates spook people into throwing away perfectly safe products. Use by dates are a different proposition and should be respected.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

While making some fig jam during the summer it became ready to set before I realised but thought it better not to continue cooking it. I put it into jars , left one out to use and put the rest in the freezer. Fig jam because it’s so sweet naturally  (I did use 1/4 of sugar needed) and I thought if it was left in storage that it would go mouldy. I did the same thing with kgs of lemons I squeezed.