Kerbside collection of unwanted electrical items

Had to smile at the BBC news item today on plans to introduce kerbside collection of unwanted electrical items.  I thought we already did that (most items left out soon disappear around these parts).  I presume formalising it will mean the Council becomes the collector instead of the peripatetic scrap metal chaps so we all end up paying through Council Tax, whether we like it or not.  Also planned is for retailers being forced to take away large electrical items when delivering new without a fee so we can expect a hidden surcharge on future purchases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67830798

• Like 1

5-10 years ago there seemed to be a lot more wandering scrap collectors driving around in battered lorries; they've become a disappearing breed in recent times.

22 hours ago, The Engineer said:

Also planned is for retailers being forced to take away large electrical items when delivering new without a fee so we can expect a hidden surcharge on future purchases.

For example, Currys charge £25 to take away your old fridge/washing machine.

Same here........same blokes every week nice chaps........put it out one day...gone the next......even my old big TV ariel......

We don’t see the Newark scrappies much lately, nor the ‘Romanian’(??) guys who appeared regularly around our neighbourhood collecting anything and everything from driveways in a child’s pushchair.  I actually felt sorry for them. 

It certainly deserves serious consideration but I can think of several problems waiting in the wings for such a scheme

Manufacturers admit to planned obsolescence, if things never broke or wore or needed replacing they would soon be out of business.

It was suggested many moons ago the machine tool industry built machines that were virtually bomb proof. They didn't break, never wore out or needed replacing. The consequence was they became stagnant with little development whilst l the rest of the caught world up and quickly overtook them.

• Like 1

Many moons ago (early 60s) when I was a young apprentice electrician the co. I worked for repaired small appliances as well as wiring schools etc.  Kettles, irons, hair dryers, electric fires etc.  Parts were plentiful and just a few shillings each.  A couple of us would stay in the shop for about an hour each morning before we hit the road to fix 'em.  Often not much wrong, burned out element or broken power cord + a few bob for parts. Whole job usually less than a couple of quid and often much less if just a broken wire.  The shop was honest and the customer would only be charged a bob or two for the minor stuff.  Many appliances kept out of the trash this way.  Couldn't do that today labor cost more than a new appliance.  Parts almost impossible to get.

Who knows?  The way the economy is going those days might have to come back.  Should make the greens and grim Greta happy. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Brew said:

It was suggested many moons ago the machine tool industry built machines that were virtually bomb proof.

Yes Brew I remember the Dean Smith and Grace lathes, The "Rolls Royce" of lathes and the Bridgeport turret mills. I'd love either in my workshop.

There are still plenty of DSG lathes working away Qz, many for sale and range from a few hundred to oooo that's a lot...