Thinking of losing great people to that scyth carrying horseman, DEATH, one really great man, who  died a couple of years ago, was David Bellamy. I met him twice and found him approachable and a joy to talk to.
The first time I met him I had been on a conservation tree planting fortnight on the Inner Hebrides island of Rhum. It was late winter and I had driven down from the ferry without stopping in order to get to his talk in the Lake District that same evening. My girlfriend of the time and myself sat in his audience looking like a pair of tramps when his talk turned to "Armchair conservationists". He was quite scathing of those able bodied folk who claim to be eco warriors but never leave the comfort of their armchairs. He then pointed at us and asked us to stand. He knew from our brief chat before the talk that we had just come off the ferry and pointed us out to the entire audience of a couple of hundred people. He told them that this is what a conservationist looks like - not all suit and tie. He then went on to ask everyone to make an effort to be more active. The amazing thing is that he did it in such a way that everyone applauded him, enthhusiastically. What a man he was!
The second occasion was when he came all the way up to Caithness to address a meeting to speak against the exploitation of peat bogs for the prupose of laying tens of thousands of tons of concrete foundations for industrial wind farms. He made a really good case and since then the idea of preserving northen blanket bogs has been put to UNESCO and is in the process of becoming world heritage staus, which hopefully will protect what is left of the bogs.
  • Like 2

Hey Beekay it may be a long time since you Have seen Boolwell Bogs but now the water is clear and the surrounding area has all been tidied up. It is  a great time walking along the side o the Leen and watching the amount of wild life on ,in and around it. There is plenty of benches about to sit and chill out.

• Like 1

From what I remember Trogg, it always looked crystal clear, even back in the 50s. When visiting my Grandma, on Commercial road, I used to walk down to the bogs and dangle me little feet in the water before crossing the footbridge to play on the swings. Can't say what it was like for contamination in later years though, although when I lived up Sellars Wood road in the mid 80s, it appeared to be pleasant enough. Not been near those steps for 36years.

I remember preparing the accounts of our client, the Springfield Hosiery Finishing Co. near Moorbridge, back the ‘60’s. The Leen ran through the factory grounds and their gardens were tastefully landscaped around the river.

Some years ago Dr David Bellamy was giving talks and presentations at the Attenborough nature reserve (before the visitor center was there) and because I was working at that quarry I volunteered to help him set up his stage and props for his talk, we got on well together and had a great discussion about the nature reserve there and he was really interested (or he showed he was) in the fact that I started my interest in ornithology at the reserve some thirty years before through an after hours club at school and that I had carried on the interest into my later life and what an ideal job I had travelling around different quarries to do my job surrounded by all the nature every day of my working life, I agree with Paul he was a great honest and sometimes controversial nature lover and conservationist I find lacking in today's offerings you see on the tv

Rog

• Like 1

You and me both Phil. Always found him to ba sanctimonious hypocrite, especially after seeing him on a programe with daughter ( or stepdaughter). Whenever she pointed anything out, if it did'nt meet with his train of thought he would poo-poo everything she said and just dismiss it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So it’s not just me then. Not sure why but I can’t abide Chris Packham. Turn him off if I happen across him. I know he got some criticism for revealing he stole birds eggs in his youth. 

I can't watch him, either. He has an unfortunate manner of presentation which doesn't engage the viewer. Now, the wonderful Michael Wood I could watch forever!

Packham has Asperger's Syndrome which may account for his awkward manner of presentation. Indeed, several people have told me that I probably have the same condition, despite Mr Mayfield's observations.  I do have certain symptoms of it but at 66, who cares, eh?

Packham the pigeon lover, a few years ago he got a bill passed banning the shooting of wood pigeons for that year, now we are over run with them and they are destroying food crops at an enormous rate, thankyou mr packham for that

Rog

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I can't watch him, either. He has an unfortunate manner of presentation which doesn't engage the viewer. Now, the wonderful Michael Wood I could watch forever!

Packham has Asperger's Syndrome which may account for his awkward manner of presentation. Indeed, several people have told me that I probably have the same condition, despite Mr Mayfield's observations.  I do have certain symptoms of it but at 66, who cares, eh?

I thought Michael Wood was a service station on the M5. :biggrin:

3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I do have certain symptoms of it but at 66, who cares, eh?

Well said Jill I am the same outlook at 76, I am to old to worry about what others think of me and my actions. I do not go out of my way to annoy people, unless necessary, but leave me to do what I want.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I thought Michael Wood was a service station on the M5. :biggrin:

Nah Phil, your'e thinking of Natalie Wood.