My memory was jogged yesterday when reading through my old school reports from when I was 9 till 15 (1947 - 53).

It's surprising how much was forgotten and how much had become slightly skewed with time.

But there it was, the evidence in front of me. Proper ink, on faded paper, bearing the signatures of form masters and headmaster. No excuses!

These documents were, in some way, a record of my growing up. Something was glaringly obvious during these formative years but was not recognised at the time.

They were also evidence of how times and teaching practices have changed.

If members have still got their old school reports then take a look at them and reflect. As seniors looking back it can be quite telling - and amusing :)

• Like 3

My reports whilst at The Dreaded Manning are contained in a Report Book. I think all secondary schools had them. The book is contained within a buff envelope which has the name of the school, school crest and motto emblazoned on the front. I still have the envelope but it's falling to bits now.

The report books themselves were, at Manning, covered in shiny coloured paper equating to your house colour. Mine is yellow, for St David's house.

I often read the comments in the report book.  I started off well. High marks for in-house exams but, gradually, I stopped making the effort. Comments such as "English 98% Position in class 1st. Could make more effort.". "Geography 86%. Position in class 1st. Very surprising result, given Jill's total lack of interest in lessons."

Why bother, I thought, when all you're going to get is dismissive sarcasm. What's the point in trying?So I didn't.

The report carries a very clear underlying message, too.  It was that I didn't fit in. A square peg in a round hole, if you like. I was acutely aware of that within my first hour in the place. Too self-contained, too self-sufficient and unsociable.  No one ever expressed concerns that I couldn't cope with the work, just that I wouldn't fit the mould. Tough.

• Like 2

I dont have any of my school reports, but thinking of subjects taught at school I can say with pleasure at 76 years old I have never had to use Algebra. Was that one of the subjects taught but of no general use , what else do you think that was not worth the effort at School.

I remember the name Quadratic Equations. Back in the day I could do them - whatever they were - but I've never used them in the real world.

I hated country dancing    https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/11859-country-dancing-at-junior-schools/?tab=comments#comment-204929

and that is something else I'd avoid in the real world.

I still have all my school reports; Infants, Juniors, and Secondary. There's no mention of the fact that 50 years later, I'd be talking about the subject to a group of people all over the world.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Grey flannel knicker inspection.

Now some folks would pay to witness that. ( Not me of course).

There's a little box at the bottom of each page of the school report for the years I was at Manning. It contains three dotted lines after the words, Absent, Late, Detentions.  I had a few absences and the odd late mark but I never had a detention. That surprises me because I was caught, more than once, with the lyrics to some ditty I'd penned about a member of staff I didn't like, usually set to some tune such as Rule Britannia, God Save The Queen or Cwm Rhondda. On the odd occasion, I and a group of other girls were actually caught singing it.  I expected to be put under the Dome or my parents hauled in for a talking to but it never happened. The miserable games mistress, known as Pickleface, once hissed at me, "One of these days, Jill, your pen is going to get you into serious trouble!"

It's not easy, getting into serious trouble when you're forced to wear grey flannel knickers all the time.

Other miscreants were put under the Dome for far less heinous offences than my libellous lyrics, so I don't know how I escaped, unless it was because they knew it would only make me worse and I'd spend the time composing a desultory ditty about the teacher who made me stand there. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Absolutely hated my time at school, had no interest at all, Their sole purpose in life seemed to me to beat the living daylights out of me, learned more or less everything I know since leaving the dreaded place

Rog

• Like 2

At Radford Boulevard school, in the  50s it simply a case of "Survival Of The Fittest". You battled through the best you could. It was not only some Sadist teachers but also older pupils in classes above you. The suffering age was 11 to 14

• Like 1

Not that I liked your post BK it's just there was no provision for sad if you know what I mean' a lot of teachers back then were ex military and they thought they could treat the pupils on similar lines, (well thats what I think) however a lot of todays teachers just seem to want to pass on some other agenda that generally has nothing to do with education (once again thats what I think)

Rog

• Like 1

That's so true. A lot of our teachers were ex military officers and we were treated like erks. Thats why I didn't join the CCF. I don't like being told what to do. That's not the way to foster good employee relations. 

• Like 2

Thing is, it were'nt just school. I had three brothers ( God rest em) and as a nipper it was a case of 'First down, best dressed'. Re school though, must admit, I had no regrets.

• Like 2