Lost Buildings of our past

18 hours ago, Dark Angel said:

@Jill Sparrow :- Romantics have the blood line of Jesus as the Holy Grail. 
    He is reputed to have sired a daughter. At some point being brought to The Dragon Isles, ( now known as Great Britain/Albion) as an infant.

Later, allegedly moving to a remote part of France.

The above post made me think of this :-

"And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark Satanic Mills?"

On 3/21/2024 at 10:59 PM, LizzieM said:

The clubs, all disappeared many years ago.

Are all the boat clubs that were along the Trent bank opposite the Forest Ground all gone too?  If so what is there now? Little Boxes as per Burl Ives. Had some great nights thereabouts.

AH the memories..............and them stairs..especially.........a magic 100 yards...of being crushed on leaving the match........

@Jill Sparrow:- as you have read about the blood line of Jesus, have you looked at The Last Supper by Leonardo Da Vinci?

The disciple sat to the right of Jesus looks very effeminate, however, I may need to see an optician.

Your post re The Holy Grail seems to have disappeared! 

@Oztalgian:- a rousing song, once sung everywhere, now an element of our society are trying to have it banned. Along with many traditions from our childhoods.

Allegedly based on the story of Joseph of Arimathea having visited these Islands accompanied by a young Jesus who spent time with people of knowledge whilst here.

1 hour ago, Dark Angel said:

Your post re The Holy Grail seems to have disappeared! 

Aha!  The plot thickens.

I watched a fascinating documentary many years ago about the French 'connection' so to speak.  Riveting subject.

I wish people would leave Jerusalem alone. I have always enjoyed singing it, even at school where we gave it voice regularly. William Blake's words are excellent.  Mind you, the hymn I found most fascinating was not Jerusalem but Once To Every Man and Nation, to the tune Ebenezer (I think). The words both fascinated and puzzled me. It always had a faint sense of menace.

Back in the 1990s, a book “Holy Blood and Holy Grail” was published by author Michael Baigent, which made claims about the lineage of Jesus, the Merovingian dynasty in France, and Rosslyn Chapel, together with claims of links to the Knights Templar, a secret society in France which protects the bloodline, and the Freemasons.

None of it could be proven and much if not all of it was wishful thinking, of course, but it did form the basis of the book and film “Da Vinci Code”, with author Dan Brown even calling one of the characters Teabing (anagram of Baigent).

10 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

AH the memories..............and them stairs..especially.........a magic 100 yards...of being crushed on leaving the match........

My memories of leaving the match are being moved along Trentside without my feet touching the ground.  It was frightening at time. 

9 hours ago, denshaw said:

Robert Plant was at the Concert Hall last week, he still reminisces about the Boat club when he was with Led Zeppelin.

My niece lives on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica and takes her dogs to the beach every day. One day her dog ran over to a lone man up the beach and jumped up him.  She got hold of the dog and apologised and then realised it was Robert Plant!