Finally, I’ve just planted my first tomato seeds. 24 of three different varieties in individual pots with cling film over on my sunny windowsills for my passata making this year Have had the compost in a bucket inside for a week, warming up. Next job will be sweet peas, beetroot and turnip starting off. 

• Like 1

Tomato season is coming to an end here in Adelaide, the tip here is not to plant outdoors before the soil temperature reaches 16 degrees and all threat of frost is past.

It is really strange that the best time to plant sweet peas here is in March/April as we head into our cooler months. Here they recommend a minimum of 6 hours a day sunlight.

Seems a bit strange that we are planting sweet peas at the same time as you when our seasons are opposite.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s so difficult to judge when the best time to sow and plant out tomatoes is. If you do them too early they bolt and it’s still too cold to plant out. If you do them later you’re then caught in the “will they ripen or not” scenario towards the end of the summer. I tend to do 2 sowings to account for either but am very lucky that I have a greenhouse and polytunnel at the allotment. All mine on my first sowing are now germinated within a week inside. 
Very interesting about the sweet peas Oz and the cooler months for both of us for starting them off.  I won’t be putting mine outside in the ground until May when we start warming up a bit (hopefully!)

• Like 1

I spotted this today. It’s a bee fly which mimics bees. It is very clever and lays its eggs in solitary bees nests. The larvae when ready will then eat the bees eggs after it has gorged on the pollen which has been left in the bees nest for the potential little bees. It loves purple, pink and white flowers so I’m not surprised that it was in my garden as I have lots of pulmonaria to attract the real bees. How fascinating. If you Google bee fly you can find out lots more info.

IMG-0258.jpg

• Like 3

Jill Sparrow, Jill Sparrow, we have a hedgehog! Just spotted it and have put some food out. Whoop whoop. Will keep you updated.

• Like 4

Last year I was given 3 tomato plants that grew from seeds that a pal saved from a black tomato that he enjoyed eating in Germany. They grew very well and produced excellent crops of juicy/meaty black tomatoes. The one outdoors did better than the two in the greenhouse. Anyway, I saved a dozen seeds and sowed them just over a week ago in the greenhouse. Checked today and several have germinated so far. Hoping to plant several outdoors if they grow into decent plants. No idea what variety they are?

• Like 1

Well done PP for your successful seed saving and germinating. They sound like a strain of “Black Russian” which has the same qualities. You can save seed from your own now this year. I am on my 7th generation of a cherry tomato called Piccolo which I originally had from Tesco and saved the seed. I dry them on a sheet of kitchen roll and then put them in an envelope over winter and sow the kitchen roll then on top of compost in a half seed tray and put a thin layer of compost on top. Water and cover with a top Perspex, put on a sunny windowsill and wait for them to appear. I always pot them on into 5” pots when they are more robust on a shelf in the greenhouse. Then plant where you want when sturdy enough but don’t plant outside till all danger of frost has gone.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Excellent news, @MRS B They know where to go for humans who run hedgehog restaurants.

Food gone tonight Jill, excellent as you say. 

• Like 1

Jill, have just been watching it eat, it’s huge! Maybe it is the one I had last year.

• Like 2

Most probably it is. You fed it royally in 2023, so why would it go anywhere else.  Good thing they're not sociable creatures or it would be telling all its friends about your hog restaurant!

• Like 1

I reckon you two are embarking on a Hog rehabiltation and repatriation programe between you.

I'm sure I've read about you both in "Hog Breeders Monthly".

MrsB., I'm trying your tip of sowing some saved tomato seeds from fresh toms. Never tried it afore so don't know what will happen. Will have to ask your advice if nowt happens.x

9 hours ago, Beekay said:

MrsB., I'm trying your tip of sowing some saved tomato seeds from fresh toms.

Don't forget those little shoots that appear between the main stem and a leaf stem can be used, let them grow to about two inches, instead of nipping them out and throwing them, cut them off and put them in some water after a couple of weeks they will have roots on them ready for planting in the pots/ growbags or whatever you use, they will grow into healthy plants at no extra cost

Rog

• Like 3

When hedgehogs hibernate, apparently their brain remains dormant so they wake up thinking they are in the same place they were when they went to sleep. I think it’s a great idea, I would quite happily hibernate in my duvet over winter.

• Like 2

I've always said that I should have been a hibernatory creature.  I think it stems from the fact that, being born at the end of November, the weather was so bad that I didn't go out in my pram for two months, according to my mother. Spent all that time snuggled up in my Moses basket and clearly acquired a taste for it! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, MRS B said:

When hedgehogs hibernate, apparently their brain remains dormant

Think there might one or two on here like that.  slywink

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Think there might one or two on here like that.  slywink

That's not nice... quite unkind in fact...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
39 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Can you not take a joke Brew?

Apparently not, I thought jokes were meant to be funny

Some folk just don't get "Notts humour"

Rog

• Like 2