All the talk about how cheap stuff used to be, things you could buy for a penny, etc. got me wondering. They didn't seem cheap back then 'cause we didn't 'ave any money!

When I went to work for the NCB in 1970, I made 14 quid a week. Thanks to two miners strikes, that was up to 20 quid by the time I left in 1975! I remember that 20 quid a week was 1,000/year and was considered a VERY GOOD wage!

£4.10.0p a week - shop lad in a little engineering factory, 1963 gave it all to my mam who would give me spending money back - forget how much!

Started life out as an Apprentice Gas Fitter with the Gas Board on Huntingdon St. in 1967.

First wage was £5-17/6. Had to cough up the wage packet to me mam who gave me 10/- spending money back. Out of that I had to pay me bus fares each day, buy me clothes and then go out with me mates to try and find a chick!

Oh, happy days.

Started work 1st Jan '62, and for the first 3 months was in the training school at Raleigh. I took home 2 pounds 18 shillings and 10 pence. I got a small raise after my training [punch card operator] Until I started paying board, I gave my mum all my pay [after I'd checked it, we had to do that 'cos you couldn't complain on Monday that you were short changed the Friday before] All my working life I was paid in cash, each Friday. I think when I finished work 10 yrs after starting, I was up to about 15 quid a week.

£3.1s.4d in 1968 as apprentice mechanic/fitter, gave most to me mam and had about £1.10s to last me for the week, fags, couple of pints and me clothes and bus fares, still I were happy

Rog

Bloody 'Ell, you lot got paid !!!

When I joined the mob (air force) they told me I got meals, acommodation and the satisfaction of knowing I was helping to keep the free world from communist domination. Oh! and I got some money to buy polish and brasso, just.

Alison

I think I started at under two quid a week at 15. I recall when I came out of my time, my top line was 18 quid a week, that included shift allowance, face allowance, dirt money, grease money and water allowance for working in wet conditions, That was September 1968 at Cotgrave Colliery.

I left to work for J Jones Rewinds for a 40 hour week at 18 quid a week day shifts!

It was a couple of years before I made that magic 1000 pounds per year!

Hi all.

I joined the Royal Navy in January 1964 and was paid the grand and mighty sum of 4 pounds eighteen and threepence a fortnight, but our food and board were supplied.

Working at Beecrofts in 1963 got me a healthier 4 pounds two and six a week.

Whilst in Australia with my family in 1960, I made three pounds on a weekend cadying at the Royal Sydney Golf Course. That was a magnificent sum for a twelve year old even if I did look 15. I think the adult wage was about 9 pounds then.

regards Andrew Cole.

Times change, don't they! When I left the UK in 1979 for Tassie, I took a big drop in pay, but I was a lot better off money wise! Things were half the price in Oz, even grog!

Started working life at the local Gas Board in the Computerised Accounts Centre - in other words the Gas Bills!

Did my own Dad's twice and he blamed me for the bill :-(

Think I was on £6-50 per week then but I managed fine :-)

I hsd never seen a computer before but they were old-fashioned compared to now!