7 quid would have fed a family of 4,for the best part of a week,around 1955.

And paid the rent,Gas & electic plus a couple of bob too the tallyman

If you were in the area,the 'Mill' cafe,at Bobbers mill, a savory sausage and tomato sandwhich,breakfast, a real taste of 'Nottingham nosh'.

I believe it's still open................"One Large sos' with !!"................was the order for large sausage (meat) sandwich, with tomatoes

loppylugs (#27), I was passing the Clifton Lane transport cafe, just by Clifton Bridge, a couple of weeks ago and decided to pop in for a late breakfast. It was about 1100 and I was the only one in the cafe. I got chatting to the owner and he told me that business wasn't too good. He said that he closed the cafe around 1300 daily because it's dead in the afternoon. He makes good money on HGV overnight parking which are mainly foreign trucks. I had the usual breakfast items and they were nicely cooked and presented and I really enjoyed my meal. If ever anyone is passing that way I can recommend you calling in.

I think one of the problems with the cafe is that you don't notice it from the Ring Road. The amount of trucks that come along the A453 from the motorway is vast. A high percentage of them going to the Lenton industrial estates. An advertising sign would be the ideal answer but I doubt if the Council would allow it.

Used to go to see the Navigators at the Running Horse on a Saturday afternoon (90s). Often went to Scruffy Murphys afterwards. If skint we'd chip in and ask Garath(?) for something vegetarian-Invariably delicious. Would get Springsteen cd played and sing along.......Glory Days.

First post so fingers crossed it's ok

7 quid would have fed a family of 4,for the best part of a week,around 1955.

7 quid was more than my Dad earned a week in 1955, so I think it'd have to pay all the bills too ! Then again he didn't have 3 kids to feed then!

Incidentally we go shopping to Morrisons on a Sunday at 15.00hrs to get the "whoopsies" on final reductions . I fed a family of 4 for around £2.60 once ! I kid you not ! I also have a whole Gammon in the freezer for Christmas that I bought a couple of weeks back for £1.39p it should have been around the 25 quid mark !

God, the Mill Cafe, we used to go there regularly for morning breaky, Sos and egg sandwich on home baked bread !

I Went again when I was in the uk last year, still operating and still same, think it may be the son running it now.

Had some old photo's on the wall of older times.

Anyone remember the Kingfisher on Mansfield road, just up from Woodborough road, opposite side.

Was our Friday night last stop before home , that or Pancho's down near Savoy hotel on Mansfield road too. Best Donner kebab in Nottm, well it was.

I went to Bardills Garden Centre at lunchtime

I will give Bardills a visit in the not to distant future - had the world famous award winning sunday dinner @ the golden fleece on mansfield road yesterday top quality , wish i knew the price but i don't just paid.

Money is no object to a guy like yourself, radfordred...lol. When I went on Sunday I found that they had changed the system. Before, you got your dinner and then queued to pay which was annoying as you stood there watching your dinner cool. Quite a few people would get their dinner and go to their table without paying. You now pay first, at the far right hand corner, and show your receipt to get your order which is a lot better. Don't be put off if it's a bit busy because people tend to eat their dinners and leave to walk around the garden centre. One thing that I noticed at the garden centre was the amount of Christmas trees they were selling. I saw seven large trees sold in the short time I looked around the outdoor section.